Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Celiac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Donating Blood

11 posts in this topic

Can people with Celiac donate blood? It seems like someone with Celiac, I don't see anything online against it but my doctor said they might not give it to a person. They might only do tests.

Ads by Google:
Can people with Celiac donate blood? It seems like someone with Celiac, I don't see anything online against it but my doctor said they might not give it to a person. They might only do tests.

That's a good question. I stopped donating blood years ago but for a different reason--my blood clots "too quickly" plus at one point I had malaria ...

Bea

Yes, and I do every 56 days ;)

I am unable to. Here where I live they don't accept blood donations from anyone that has an auto-immune disease

Ads by Google:

I gave blood a week or so ago and I did tell them about having celiac disease and they had no problem with it.

As long as your iron level is good they will take your blood.

Well I would like to give it a try soon. Years ago I donated once and then they called every two weeks or so asking for blood so my mom told them I had Celiac or something and they stopped calling. Also I was hemaphobic so my experience was not so good. I tried a second time but almost passed out and then they refused me. I would like to try again since I think I am outgrowing my hemaphobia. I will call today and ask just to double check because I plan on taking the bus. I don't want to drive home after my donation because it's about 1/2 an hour away. Thanks for the responses especially that site that said it's ok. Maybe in Australia they don't accept people with an auto immune disease which is interesting because I was unaware of that. I wonder what Canada's stance is? And the other Anglo speaking countries?

I called today and they said it was alright as long as I bring a gluten-free snack. So I will go soon.

Maybe in Australia they don't accept people with an auto immune disease which is interesting because I was unaware of that. I wonder what Canada's stance is? And the other Anglo speaking countries?

It's only here in South Australia, other states may be OK. I know NSW is

I had to give up in 1994 when I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease and unaware that I had Coeliac Disease.They said it was because the cause of AI disease is unknown

That's a good question. I stopped donating blood years ago but for a different reason--my blood clots "too quickly" plus at one point I had malaria ...

Bea

Could you go into more detail about your blood clots to quickly. The last 2 times I've donate I've had trouble. My blood slows down, but the move or twist the needle and it shot out fast. The most recent, the head nurse ended up just holding on to the needle, because any movement would make it slow down to a crawl. Had to be just the right angle.

I'm might be a little over cautious but my sister just got diagnosis with an extra protein in her blood and birth control could kill her.

And I will be get a blood test done soon for Celiac's.