This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Contadina Tomato Products?

jmengert

jmengert Enthusiast

I'm trying my hand at my first gluten-free lasagna (yipes!), and as it's the weekend, there's no one at Contadina's phone #--I've bought their diced tomatoes, paste, and sauce because I've heard they are gluten-free. Does anyone know for sure if these Contadina products are gluten-free?

Thanks for any help anyone has!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

plantime Contributor

List the ingredients for us, and we will tell you what we think!

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Yes read the ingredients and maybe we can help...I just emailed them about gluten free products and will post it when I get a response.

jmengert Enthusiast

Thanks for the offers of help! Going off the ingredients alone, I think they are gluten-free--I'm mostly worried about CC issues.

Tomato paste ingredients: tomatoes (thus, I'm assuming this one's fine :P )

Sauce ingredients: tomato puree (water, tomato paste), salt, high fructose corn syrup, citric acid, garlic powder, onion powder, spices

Diced tomatoes: tomatoes, tomato juice, salt, citric acid, calcium chloride.

Thus, the things that worry me are the spices in the sauce--I did some poking around another forum last night, and there seems to be the consensus that Contadina products are gluten-free, but those unnamed spices worry me. Maybe I'll just add water to the paste and just use the paste and the diced tomatoes.

At any rate, thanks again for the help--anything look suspicious to you in these ingredients?

tpineo Rookie

I have contacted the company in the past (about 6 months ago) and all the tomato sauces, tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, and tomato puree were gluten-free. Tania Greenville, PA

plantime Contributor

Those look fine as far as gluten is concerned.

Kaiti, let us know what they tell you this time around!

jmengert Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for your help! I like to make my own sauces, so it's nice to know that Contadina appears to be gluten-free.

Thanks again for all the help--I just love this board!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast
Dear Kaiti,

Thanks for visiting our Contadina website and for your email.

I'm pleased to let you know all Contadina Tomato and Tomato products are gluten-free EXCEPT Contadina Tomato Paste with Italian Seasonings.

Please don't hesitate to contact us if we can be of further help.  You can email us anytime or call Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. untl 5:00 p.m. Eastern at 1-888-668-2847.

Hope this helps you all out :D

jmengert Enthusiast

Great, Kaiti--thanks for posting their response! :D

plantime Contributor

Thank you Kaiti! I don't use the paste, so it will not be a problem for me!

lotusgem Rookie

Nothing like having a few more options! Thanks Tania and Kaiti! :D

Paula

calico jo Rookie

Where did you get gluten-free lasagna noodles??? Or did you use something else.

I found some pre-cooked gluten-free polenta at a specialty store, sold in a tube similar to how you'd buy ground sausage. It's a solid piece and suggested slicing the polenta lengthwise and substituting it for lasagna noodles. I did that a few weekends ago, and MAN was it good!!!!! I hadn't had lasagna in almost 4 years. Plus my husband found some gluten free beer Bards at a store and bought me a six pack. I was in heaven.

Archived