This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

A Little Advise Needed

egmag29

egmag29 Newbie

Hi Having been Gluten free for almost a year I still don't know all the forbidden foods and where gluten may be hiding. So I have a list of foods that I like to eat and was wondering if anyone would know if they are either gluten free or if only certain brands are gluten free.

Hummus ( I have only eaten brands from a grocery store i.e Josephs brand)

Canned Tomatos (normally store brand)

Yogurt (stoneyfields)

trail mixes (for some reason I have recently been getting a reaction to these! I look at the ingredients and don't see any indication that there is any gluten in them)

I am also curious to know if anyone gets more severe symptoms than they ever used to after follow a gluten-free diet and then accidently ingesting some. I seem to be more sensitive to gluten then I have ever been which is tough when I am still learning where it is hidden.

Thanks for any info that people can send me. :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

https://www.celiac.com/st_main.html?p_catid=12

Here is a link to some lists of forbidden foods, safe foods, and extra things to be sure about.

It all depends on the brands that you get. Yoplait will clearly say wheat,rye, barley,oats on the label.

General Mills and Kraft will also clearly list anything. These are some brands beloww that Richard posted a while ago and they will clearly list wheat,rye,barley, oats on the label.

Aunt Nelly's

Balance

Baskin Robbins

Ben & Jerry

Betty Crocker

Blue Bunny

Breyers

Campbells

Cascadian Farms

Celestial Seasonings

Country Crock

Edy's

General Mills

Good Humor

Green Giant

Haagen Daz

Hellman's

Hershey

Hormel

Hungry Jack

Jiffy

Knorr

Kozy Shack

Kraft

Libby's

Lipton

Martha White

McCormick

Nabisco

Nestle

Old El Paso

Ortega

Pillsbury

Popsicle

Progresso

Russell Stover

Seneca Foods

Smucker

Stokely's

Sunny Delight

T Marzetti

Tyson

Unilever

Wishbone

Yoplait

Zatarain's

For other things...you should check lipsticks, lotions, etc. Lipsticks often contain wheat starch. Things like lotions can easily get on your food since it is on your hand. There is a list on the link for extra things to watch out for.

Ifyou find a brand you do not know about you need to call the manufacturer...gluten can be hidden under many things...check the forbidden list...you can always post questions on here...I am sure someone will know the answer. Everyone here is great and very supportive :D

The reason why you still may be feeling sick is that you could be getting some gluten into your system. Do you have a separate toaster in your house? Is there gluten containing foods in your house?

If you have any more questions feel free to ask and you can email me anytime. Good luck :D

SharonF Contributor

Yes, I have noticed that symptoms are more severe when I accidentally ingest gluten, now that I have gone gluten free.

Canadian Karen Community Regular

I notice that you a a mom to two children, one being 1 yr old. Are you being very careful when preparing their foods? Or is your whole house gluten-free?

Karen

SharonF Contributor

No, my whole house is not gluten-free, since I am the only with celiac (so far as we know). I am careful when preparing their foods, though. It gets frustrating to have to wash my hands every time I dole out teddy grahams, or make a PB&J for the older child, but I do it because it's more frustrating to be sick.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I am also the only one in the house with celiac...my mom had a wheat allergy though so she is on the diet with me....my dad follows it too when he is not at work...we sometimes get my dad prepackaged gluten containing foods for him to eat at work but everything in the house we eat here is gluten-free because it would be more of a frustration and risk.

If you don't like the whole washing your hands after handling glutened foods then is there something they would like just the same that is in fact gluten free? That way you wouldn't be frustrated or sick.

Are you careful with glutened products as well?

SharonF Contributor

Yes, I'm careful--separate pots for cooking, separate utensils, separate peanut butter jars, etc.

However, I'm not going to switch the whole family to gluten-free just to make things more convenient for me. With gluten-free foods costing so much more, I can't afford it.

And I'm not getting "accidentally glutened" all the time, if that's your fear. The last time it happened, I believe McDonalds and a non-dedicated fryer was to blame.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest gfinnebraska

You will find that the more gluten-free you get and the more healed you are, the more of a reaction you will have when you accidentally get gluten. Hang in there!!! :) I hate the washing of hands constantly too, and it is really hard, when cooking, to remember NOT to lick something that gets on my fingers!! Ha! I have caught myself many times about to lick something yummy off that is full of gluten! Eeek!

AND, the most frustrating part... knowing how much salt and pepper to put in a cream sauce without tasting it!!! Ugh! :blink:

lotusgem Rookie

Hi! Just putting in my two cents worth... In the 9 months that I have been gluten free, I've been "glutened" twice and both times it was immediate and painful, much more painful than before the diet. I tend to be very detail-minded and some might say compulsive, so for the sake of my safety and sanity, we have a gluten free house. I'd go nuts, otherwise. It makes me feel selfish sometimes, knowing that there is something that the others might enjoy that is on the list of forbidden foods, but then, it's a matter of my safety as opposed to a moment of sense pleasure for them. Ultimately, they understand this and are sympathetic. I try to make good foods and every so often bake some kind of treat, like cookies, so the family stays happy. Kimberly's comment about not knowing how much salt to put in the cream sauce, cracked me up. In my little town, there is a baker who is diabetic. Her cookies and cakes are, in my opinion, highly oversweetened, owing to the fact that she is unable to sample her own baking. Fortunately for her and her business, though, plenty of people here enjoy her wares just the way they are!

Take care.

Paula

Merika Contributor

You mentioned trail mix. Did you call the company and really quiz them? I've found that things like dried fruits can be dusted with flour. Personally I've run into rice flour (fine) and oat flour (not fine). I presume someone out there may use wheat flour. They dust things to keep them from sticking together in the packaging.

So, the company who makes the trail mix may not add any flour, but the source they get their ingredients from might. Oh, nuts can be coated too....

Merika

jknnej Collaborator

You know, I thought the make-up was just silly but I swear last week I put on lipstick (it was Mac lip gloss and I thought their make-up was gluten-free, but I got terribly sick. I guess it really can give you a bad reaction. That's the worst I've been sick since starting the diet.

I've stopped wearing make-up for awhile until i have the time to research and find a brand that is convenient to purchase in terms of location and price.

What i was going to add is that sometimes people think oats are gluten-free and we're not supposed to have them....yes the trail mix can be dangerous.

If you like trail mix, get the EnerG Foods kind, it is wonderful and gluten-free, dairy free, and yeast free:)

Archived