This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Vlasic Pickle Relish

violet2004

violet2004 Newbie

Does anyone know if Vlasic pickle relish is gluten-free?

The website says that the pickles are (of course) but doesn't say anything about the relish, and there are some mystery ingredients in the relish. I am sick as a dog tonight, and it started during the last 1 1/2 hours of our road trip. :(

(If you've been there, it is NOT fun to be on the Ohio Turnpike during a glutening!!)

I can't figure out if it was the tuna salad I had last night, or the mashed potatotes at a restaurant last night while we were visiting VA. The only alleged ingredients in that were potatoes, butter, sour cream, and white pepper. (I almost always start reacting to gluten 24 hours after exposure.)

I seem to get sick from tuna salad where the only questionable ingredients are Lawry's seasoned salt and seasoned pepper, and Vlasic sweet relish This time I made the salad without the seasoned salt and pepper to see what happened. Well, here's what happaned: I'm going to lose 5 lbs..

Any wisdom on this would be appreciated!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

brendygirl Community Regular

I see a lot of possible culprits.

First of all, many celiacs have trouble digesting lactose or whole cream or sour cream. Possibly due to my doctor misdiagnosing lactose intolerance, then I went off lactose, and in doing that, you lose the ability to digest it! I slowly re-incorporated it back in...I can drink milk, but I can't tolerate cream at all, only in ice cream for some reason.

Also,

anything with butter in restaurants is scary, because if they dip a knife in butter and wipe it on bread, then dip it back into the butter...crumb contamination. Ditto for the sour cream.

I only get butter when it comes in those foil-wrapped packets.

Tuna- there are lots of tunas that are marinated in broths, which are always scary for celiacs.

I am sure to get the Starkist very low sodium Chunk White Albacore Tuna in Water (gold can), where the only ingredients are tuna and water.

Also, I think I've eaten vlasic relish without problems.

However, if it's in a jar, someone could've used it and contaminated it.

Whenever possible, to avoid cc, I use SQUEEZE containers. I use Heinz relish in the squeeze container.

I hope you feel better. When I get glutened, I go to the natural foods only and foods only prepared by me. I call it the nuts and berries diet to get back on track. I'm sorry you're so sick.

nocommente Rookie

I second the idea of cross contamination. I used to get sick every time I ate tuna salad. I finally realized, it was crumbs in the Miracle Whip! Not even crumbs, really. Just tiny bread particles from people dipping their knives in.

I hope you feel better soon! Being glutened while away from home is the worst.

violet2004 Newbie

I know it's nothing else in the tuna salad because I keep a gluten-free house. I use Hellman's mayo, and bumble bee solid albacore tuna, so I know it's not those. That leaves the relish, or, more likely, the restaurant mashed potatoes.

I don't think most restaurant kitchens have crumb-filled butter containers like many families do at home. But, all they would have to do is use a spoon that was in a gluten-filled dish, etc., to cause contamination. The thing is, any restaurants have those issues, so even when you are trying to be as safe as can be, how do you know? I guess you don't...

On the pickle relish, here is the response I received:

Thank you for taking the time to inquire about Pinnacle Foods Group, LLCand the products we produce which may be gluten-free. We appreciate yourinterest in our company and our products. Vinegar used in Vlasic

violet2004 Newbie

I know I'm lactose-intolerant, so I take a lactaid tablet with any foods with dairy. I've been gluten-free for almost 2 years, and I've noticed I'm doing better with small amounts of dairy.

The funny thing is, I can totally tell whether it's dairy or gluten. Dairy is almost immediate and gone within 24 hours. Gluten starts about 24 hours after and goes on for days (or weeks) depending on how much it was. Both also have their other distinct characteristics, too, if you know what I mean..

lovegrov Collaborator

"Tuna- there are lots of tunas that are marinated in broths, which are always scary for celiacs.

I am sure to get the Starkist very low sodium Chunk White Albacore Tuna in Water (gold can), where the only ingredients are tuna and water."

Every tuna I've checked has been gluten-free. The broths do NOT contain gluten. Usually it's a vegetable broth, no gluten.

richard

Archived