This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Wellbutrin And Gluten?

Guest BERNESES

Guest BERNESES

Hi Everyone- I did search the archives and didn't see anything listed and everything I've found online and calling companies is contradictory so I need help! I started taking Wellbutrin SR (generic by Teva Pharm.) and felt like I got glutened so I called Teva and they said no WRBO in any of their products (they also make another medication I'm on and I have no problems with that one) so I switched to the brand name by GlaxoSmithKline and I called them and they said no gluten too but I still feel horrible. My mood is much improved but all my old physical symptoms are returning.

Does anyone else take the generic or brand name Wellbutrin SR (100 or 150 mg) ? The only other thing I can think of is that I've had two accidents in one week??? HELP!!!! Thanks everyone. This board has been a godsend. Beverly

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Hi Beverly,

I'm not sure where you are from, but I take Wellbutrin and I am in Canada. I know that in Canada, they are gluten free, but other countries may be different. I know that when I started the budesonide, I checked the company who made it and in Canada it's gluten free, but in the States, it is not.....

Have you tried www.glutenfreedrugs.com

Karen

Guest BERNESES

Thanks Karen- I have checked and all I get is conflicting information! Gluten Free drugs says regular Wellbutrin is and Teva pharmacies says their generic version SR is but GlaxoSmithKline won't guarantee (that's the one I'm currently on). It's so frustrating! But thank you for your reply. Interestingly, as a New Hampshire resident I can get drugs in Canada (they passed a bill). Maybe I'll start doing that! You guys really seem to have it much more together ;) And i am part Canadian (in fact, I know all the words to the Canadian national anthem and am known to bust out into it randomly!) Beverly

Rikki Tikki Explorer

Hi Berneses:

It's not on my gluten-free list. I know what you mean about calling companies. I had called to see if Fosomax was gluten-free before it was on our list as ok, and I spoke with a scientist who didn't know what gluten was.

I just wanted to warn you about my experience with wellbutrin, I took it for about 2 weeks and I just got really angry, it was like I couldn't control my moods. It was just awful so I quit taking it. That was before I knew about the celiac. Just thought I should warn you.

Canadian Karen Community Regular

A scientist who didn't know what gluten was?? :o Now that's scary........ :blink:

I wouldn't have too much faith in that company!! :D

I know in Canada, there are only 4 drugs in total that contain gluten, I know Lomotil is one of them...... They are listed in some book that pharmacists have...

Karen

Guest Sibewill

It is (or at least was a year ago) gluten free in the US. I was taking this and some other thing (wayyy stronger) for awhile. Word to the wise... don't just abruptly quit your meds when the spouse is on vacation... not fun at all.

• 3 weeks later...
tlaudato Newbie

Please help!

I am living and working in Colombia at the moment and have just suffered another period of depression (I have had quite a few during my life, but which have reduced since I was diagnosed and went on a gluten Free diet). Anyway I was prescribed Wellbutrin. What I get here is manufactured in States, and although I have read that the Glaxo version manufactured in the US does not contain gluten, I have been having lots of gluten symptoms, just like before I went on the diet a few years back.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest BERNESES

Hi- I'm sorry to hear that you are going through another bout of depression. According to the Celiac Food Smart List, Glaxo will not guarantee that their Wellbutrin is gluten-free. I've been taking the generic version of Wellbutrin SR 150 mg by Teva and even though they say that Teva does not use any filler but corn starch, I am starting to have my symptoms again too so I am getting off of it. I was going to post and see if there was anything similar to Wellbutrin on another board (Dr. Bob's psychobabble) because it does wonders for my mood but I'm convinced it has gluten in it. Let me know if I can do anything to help you since you are in Colombia. Beverly

tlaudato Newbie

Thank you Beverly! Given the circumstances I think I am going to come off it as I would rather the depression that the phsical symptoms of ingesting gluten... I will perhaps try some natural remedy (like getting myself down to the gym). Wellbutrin has helped quite a bit in lots of ways, but I also feel that it has made me be very short tempered, oh and the insomnia which is a pain. I was thinking I might try St. Johs's wort provided I find a gluten-free brand down here. Take care.

Thanks Loads.

Tiziana.

Guest BERNESES

Hi Tiziana- You are so welcome. I would definitely talk to your doctor and taper off it. I posted on another site about psych meds but I haven't heard anything back. I hate the insomnia too and it gives me HORRIBLE night sweats as well as all my celiac symptoms. i am done. I have heard that Stratterra is similar and in the States it is gluten-free, but I don't know anything about it. I'm going to taper off it with my doctor and see what happens. I've had good luck with Celexa (it's gluten-free) but there are so many factors involved in these meds so that works for one person may not work for another. Good luck and let me know if I can help. Feel free to email me too. Hang in there, Beverly

• 6 months later...
casnco Enthusiast

Bernese:

I was just given a script for Welbutrin XL. I try to research any meds I take so I started here. I decided I needed to call the company. They said they use tree starch!(what is that?! :lol: ) and potato starch. However she said she could not guarentee the medication was gluten-free. I would rather have a little depression than Celiac/DH symptoms. So I am not taking it. Have you found any other meds that are gluten-free that help with depression? I haven't at this point but I have just started to look. I know exercise helps a little but I need to do it every day and I just haven't gotten that committed yet. Three times a week is helping a little though. Let me know if you have found anything else that works.

Archived