• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease?  Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes
  • ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    ming1972

• Topics

• i have panic attack since my 20s. now iam on my 40s. i just started gluten free a few weeks. i have found that i have less panic attack. last thursday i can hold my wifes hands and walk for 30 minutes without trigger my panic attack. and i can take a train or bus full of crowed people all without panic attack. i have did a food log for more than 10 years. i have found a few other things will make panic attack worse they are: alcohol (include food cooked) honey (include food cooked) most medcine this may not apply to everyone. just take note what ever you
    • What a lovely group of friends you all are. Thank you! I was devastated at this news yesterday as for nearly five years I've been living under the delusion that all was well. Several of you on this website have mentioned the annual TTG test but I trusted my consultant implicitly, and thought that testing was just the American system. Alarm bells rang a bit when some acquaintances from over the county border in Hampshire said they had an annual coeliac blood test - the TTG - whereas my doc was just checking my liver function, full blood count, and iron - although I don't doubt he had good reason to do those as my Liver Function Tests were off when I was first diagosed. Thankfully those seem to be perfect now but I want to get the TTG down. I'm going to take your advice on board and will try my hardest.    It seems that dealing with the gluten CC is first priority.  I have some savings and my husband and I are going to spend money on getting the kitchen gluten free (apart from a cookie/bread corner for them - nice idea, Icey!).  But from now on they are going to rinse everything before it goes in the dishwasher and we are not going to cook anything with gluten in our pans/crockpots etc.   Eating out is a thing of the past, at least for now.  I think there are lots of restaurants in this country that really train their staff well in all of this, but this year I've eaten in places where they are clearly making some terrible mistakes.  Crumbs in salad (chopped on a glutenous board); sliced real bread put on the same plate as 'gluten free' eggs and salmon; pasta that tasted suspiciously like pasta I used to eat, cakes advertised as gluten free, but baked in house.  I can't take these risks any more.  What is gutting (pun) is I don't know how long this has been going on.  So please, any UK Coeliacs reading this make sure you are being looked after properly.  I don't know if this elevated TTG is just this year, where I have been more relaxed and have made more mistakes, or whether it has never come down.  All I can do now is my best to try to change things.  This great piece of advice from Trents on another thread says it all really.     Bigchan, welcome to the forum! Your narrative is not an uncommon one. Many report that after going gluten free they still show inflammatory disease markers in followup testing. I wish it were the case that going gluten free is the magic bullet that we all have expected it to be at the outset of the Celiac journey. As more evidence mounts over the years from medical science studying this disease it turns out it is more complex than was first thought. Gluten may not be the only trigger of inflammation for a lot of Celicacs. And there is something called refractory Celiac disease (unresponsive to a gluten free diet, no reversal). Sorry, I don't mean to discourage you. And certainly, don't give up gluten free eating. I think there is still so much medical science doesn't know about these kind of autoimmune conditions. In the mean time, do the best you can and enjoy life. Each day is a gift. Having a condition like this can take over your life if you let it. Don't.
    • Hi TonyG, Check out the info at the vitamin D council site.  They ran tests on various vitamin D pills.  They are not all the same.  Also, oily fish is a good natural source of vitamin D. https://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/  
    • Hi, and welcome!  Please read up on (DH) dermatitis herpetiformis.  There is a lot of info on DH in the DH section of the forum.  It could be you have DH instead.
    • Twenty-two years ago, I started getting these blister fluid filled bumps on my hands and feet. They would itch and then once they popped they became scaly. I went to the doctor and dermatologist, but no one could tell me what they were. I tried some creams that they'd prescribed, but none of them helped, so I just learned to live with it. I would always hide my feet during a breakout because the sores looked so horrible. Several weeks ago, I went to the doctor because I was feeling tired all the time. I have this "fog" in my head. It's like... my vision's a little clouded (even though nothing's wrong with my eyes; I've had that checked) and it's hard to concentrate on day to day activities. When it's really bad, I feel like I can't even carry on a conversation. Plus, I was having diarrhea almost everyday.  The doctor ordered routine bloodwork and when looking in my records noticed that I'd frequently had a post nasal drip when I'd gone in for evaluations. All of my bloodwork was normal. I was ready to give up again when my primary doctor called me to schedule my routine physical. He wanted fasting labs done. Which I did and they were also normal. I decided to go gluten-free after I saw these results online, because when my daughter was going through her issues (that's a whole different story) I went gluten-free with her and the "fog" in my head actually cleared! I was about 2 weeks gluten-free when I saw my doctor and the fatigue, fog and diarrhea had subsided. The only remaining concern was the blister fluid filled bump on my foot. He took a look at it and said he thought he knew what it was! Dyshidrotic Eczema...He prescribed the strongest topical steroid and said to put it on whenever I feel an episode coming on. That's the thing, I can tell when I'm going to get it. I feel like I'm retaining water the day before... my skin feels tight. Since the diagnosis, I've been researching Dyshidrotic Eczema and it seems it's linked to allergies. I've seen a lot about nickel related allergies, but I've also seen a lot of people who've experience it posting about celiac disease or a gluten intolerance. I don't think I can even be tested accurately now that I've gone gluten-free. Does anyone have advice on how I should proceed? Has anyone experienced similar things?
  • Upcoming Events