This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is Yeast Gluten Free?

River*

River* Contributor

Is yeast gluten free?

I read somewhere it comes from barley?

Is Fleischmann's quick rise instant yeast gluten free?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

Ordinary baking yeast should be gluten-free. Fleischmann's says so on the package. Brewer's yeast however, is not gluten-free, according to the list of unsafe ingredients.

psawyer Proficient

Brewer's yeast is a byproduct of beer making, and is contaminated with barley. It is used as a flavor and not for leavening (it is already spent).

Other yeasts are safe.

• 2 years later...
snoopgirl Newbie

Is yeast gluten free?

I read somewhere it comes from barley?

Is Fleischmann's quick rise instant yeast gluten free?

Be careful on this one. When I was buying chicken broth for my cornbread dressing for Thanksgiving, I read that the yeast in chicken broth can contain gluten. I don't remember the reason...sorry. I had to buy a special broth for my recipe. Mainly I advise that you read the labels. :)

sa1937 Community Regular

Be careful on this one. When I was buying chicken broth for my cornbread dressing for Thanksgiving, I read that the yeast in chicken broth can contain gluten. I don't remember the reason...sorry. I had to buy a special broth for my recipe. Mainly I advise that you read the labels. :)

I'd like to know where you read that. Yeast, except for brewer's yeast as Peter noted above, is gluten-free.

That said, there are some chicken broths that contain wheat and they're clearly labeled. Some gluten-free brands that come to mind are Progresso, Pacific Foods and Kitchen Basics. I bought a small can from Food Lion this week and it's marked gluten-free on the can. Their store brand is My Essentials.

cap6 Enthusiast

Costco sells their Kirkland brand broth in bot organic & regular and both are labeled gluten free. Very reasonable price too.

bbdailey Explorer

Does all Brewers Yeast have gluten? I just bought this protein(garden of life raw protein) that said gluten/soy/dairy free. I thought it was giving me a reaction so I stopped taking it. Then sure enough I see that it has brewers yeast....dont know how they can call it gluten free then?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

Does all Brewers Yeast have gluten? I just bought this protein(garden of life raw protein) that said gluten/soy/dairy free. I thought it was giving me a reaction so I stopped taking it. Then sure enough I see that it has brewers yeast....dont know how they can call it gluten free then?

No. Brewer's yeast may refer to the spent yeast from the brewing process, in which case it is contaminated with barley. It may also refer to the ingredient used to start the fermentation process, in which case it is safe. You can't tell just from the name.

• 3 weeks later...
lovegrov Collaborator

You "read" wrong.

richard

IrishHeart Veteran

Since there are about 13 different raw grain sprouts and probiotics in that protein formula, I suspect your "reaction" is not from gluten --but because it is full of fiber and that may be an overload on your system and that will certainly cause a "reaction". You may wish to back off that stuff until you heal a bit more?

Some "digestive aids, detox/healing cleansers, etc. " that are touted as helping people with GI tract issues are NOT suitable for celiac guts. So, you are likely having trouble digesting all those raw seeds at once.

Just my humble opinion.

TeknoLen Rookie

It should be noted (IMHO) that people with stressed digestive systems should try to keep yeast intake to a minimum due to possible aggravation of conditions such as candidiasis, a yeast overgrowth in the gut that can impair immune system function.

• 10 months later...
joeybaby Newbie

I'm new to the forum, but I do want to add my comment. You did not read wrong about yeast extract, it can be a barley product. My husband and I went to a Mexican restaurant the other day and I specifically asked if they put broth in their rice. They did, and they brought me the containers (they used 2 different kinds) and the chicken broth (in powder form) specifically said yeast extract (barley). We have since been trying to avoid it. Sorry I can't verify for all yeast extracts.

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Yeast and I are long time enemies.

psawyer Proficient

Yeast and I are long time enemies.

Yeast sensitivity does happen, but it has nothing to do with celiac disease or gluten.

• 7 months later...
Grams05 Newbie

Woooow..Look what I found

nuts.com has Certified Gluten-Free yeast

waiting for my purchase can't wait to bake with it

:rolleyes:   Grams05

Brandiwine Contributor

I asked this when I first joined the forum because it was a little confusing to me and got these answers. I have done no research myself about yeast but I now know since a few days ago that I can't have it, it makes me sick and feel as if I've been glutened. Not saying it has gluten, most of us have other allergies besides gluten, yeast is one of mine apparently.

kareng Grand Master

I asked this when I first joined the forum because it was a little confusing to me and got these answers. I have done no research myself about yeast but I now know since a few days ago that I can't have it, it makes me sick and feel as if I've been glutened. Not saying it has gluten, most of us have other allergies besides gluten, yeast is one of mine apparently.

Yeast should be gluten free.  Possible to have other issues with yeast or the ingredients of a baked good.

• 5 months later...
angelo212 Newbie

All brand-name packaged yeasts sold in the US are gluten free. Autolyzed yeast in a food product is generally considered gluten free. Brewers' yeast, when it's a by-product of beer, is not considered gluten free. Brewers yeast nutritional supplements, however, can be made from either brewer's yeast or sugar. If made from sugar, they are gluten free.

• 1 month later...
jpomana Newbie

Here is a page containing information about brewers yeast. Open Original Shared Link be careful who's advice you listen to, there is a definite difference between Gluten intolerance and sufferers of Celiacs Disease.

kareng Grand Master

Here is a page containing information about brewers yeast. Open Original Shared Link be careful who's advice you listen to, there is a definite difference between Gluten intolerance and sufferers of Celiacs Disease.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say but to repeat what everyone and your article says - plain yeast is gluten-free. Brewers yeast may not be.
mommida Enthusiast

I accidentally bought yeast that contains gluten.  (From the mistaken belief ~that all yeast would be gluten free)

PLATINUM superior baking yeast by Red Star contains WHEAT.  The 3 packet strip is white with a small red slash on the bottom packet that reads premium instant yeast with dough enhancers

ingredients listed... Yeast, soy flour, ascorbic acid, sorbitan monostearate, WHEAT flour, enzymes.  Now I see next to the ingredients an allergen box in caps soy and gluten from wheat.

I had a coupon and was in a hurry during my shopping trip.

If you are on a gluten free diet READ the label EVERYTIME/ ALL the TIME!

kareng Grand Master

I accidentally bought yeast that contains gluten.  (From the mistaken belief ~that all yeast would be gluten free)

PLATINUM superior baking yeast by Red Star contains WHEAT.  The 3 packet strip is white with a small red slash on the bottom packet that reads premium instant yeast with dough enhancers

ingredients listed... Yeast, soy flour, ascorbic acid, sorbitan monostearate, WHEAT flour, enzymes.  Now I see next to the ingredients an allergen box in caps soy and gluten from wheat.

I had a coupon and was in a hurry during my shopping trip.

If you are on a gluten free diet READ the label EVERYTIME/ ALL the TIME!

Yes. A special yeast may contain other ingredients. Also, If it is used in a finished product, it will need to say yeast ( yeast, wheat, etc). Plain old yeast is gluten free. But this highlights the need to read ingredients every time.

• 4 weeks later...
Starving Amy Rookie

Funny this was mentioned. I had a shake with this stuff in it two-days ago and it made me feel a little sick. I bought it from a health shop within an already made smoothie so didn't know what I was really intaking. Read "Brewer's Yeast" later and flipped. I wrote them asking why they call their product Gluten Free if they include Brewer's and this was the reply:

"Thank you for your email and interest in Garden of Life's products. We source yeast that is obtained from sugar and therefore it is gluten free.The yeast is also deactivated in part of the formulating process.

For information on Garden of Life's New and Innovative products, please visit our websites at www.minamius.com, www.thevitamincode.com and www.gardenoflife.com!

May you be blessed with Extraordinary Health,

Jenna

GOL, Product Support
1-866-465-0051
www.gardenoflife.com"

I would be interested to know what the more knowledgeable folk on here think of this response. 

IrishHeart Veteran

"Thank you for your email and interest in Garden of Life's products. We source yeast that is obtained from sugar and therefore it is gluten free.The yeast is also deactivated in part of the formulating process.

I would be interested to know what the more knowledgeable folk on here think of this response. 

Yeast sourced from sugar is gluten free--as they have explained in their email. They would have no cause to lie, hon.

From  Gluten Free Living:

"All brand-name packaged yeasts sold in the US are gluten free. Autolyzed yeast in a food product is generally considered gluten free. Brewers' yeast, when it's a by-product of beer, is not considered gluten free. Brewers yeast nutritional supplements, however, can be made from either brewer's yeast or sugar. If made from sugar, they are gluten free."

Open Original Shared Link

Archived