This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

No-gluten / No-dairy Shopping Guide?

Becci

Becci Enthusiast

And is there any kind of 'shopping guide' as to what to stay away from, as far as all gluten and/or dairy ingredients?

So, if I am looking at something and something pops up I am not sure about, I can just open my little pocket guide in my purse and see?

Any ideas on that?

And where to get it, if it does exist?

THANKS!!!!

(and if it is cheap enough for me to buy right now)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

canadianalli Newbie

i would really like to know too! hopefully someone can help with an answer, i think it would be a handy thing to have because theres so many different names for ingredients out there

Becci Enthusiast
i would really like to know too! hopefully someone can help with an answer, i think it would be a handy thing to have because theres so many different names for ingredients out there

I know! It is rediculous!!!

I have a pad of paper I have to carry around with me everywhere, and I want a little pocket guide or something, so I don't look like an IDIOT...

Well, the main reason is so I don't get glutenized, but the idiot thing works too. :P

haha

GlutenGalAZ Enthusiast
And is there any kind of 'shopping guide' as to what to stay away from, as far as all gluten and/or dairy ingredients?

So, if I am looking at something and something pops up I am not sure about, I can just open my little pocket guide in my purse and see?

Any ideas on that?

And where to get it, if it does exist?

THANKS!!!!

(and if it is cheap enough for me to buy right now)

Open Original Shared Link

When I first went gluten free I got the gluten free one (they didn't have the others at the time). It helped me. I still looked at the ingredients but the book helped me find brands and in a way you could say backed me up when I thought it was gluten free. I still look at it off and on when I am getting/looking for something new that I haven't gotten before.

They have an alert page on their site where they try to make a note if something isn't safe anymore so you can mark it off in your book.

Hope this helped some. GOOD LUCK

Becci Enthusiast
Open Original Shared Link

When I first went gluten free I got the gluten free one (they didn't have the others at the time). It helped me. I still looked at the ingredients but the book helped me find brands and in a way you could say backed me up when I thought it was gluten free. I still look at it off and on when I am getting/looking for something new that I haven't gotten before.

They have an alert page on their site where they try to make a note if something isn't safe anymore so you can mark it off in your book.

Hope this helped some. GOOD LUCK

Is it ingredients as well as foods, though?

GlutenGalAZ Enthusiast
Is it ingredients as well as foods, though?

The book is about 6.5"x4.5"x1"

It doesn't give ingredients.

In the book you can look up say Salad Dressing it will then list different companies and under each company it will list their gluten free items. It will not have ALL companies that are out there but a decent amount.

GlutenGalAZ Enthusiast

There are at least two other main guides, I don't know both of them off hand (haven't used them) but one is Triumph. I know someone commented about them recent so you might be able to do a search on here.

Good Luck. Hope you can find something that works for you =)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Becci Enthusiast
There are at least two other main guides, I don't know both of them off hand (haven't used them) but one is Triumph. I know someone commented about them recent so you might be able to do a search on here.

Good Luck. Hope you can find something that works for you =)

Thank you, because my hardest problem now is with the ingredient listings...

Jackie927 Rookie
I know! It is rediculous!!!

I have a pad of paper I have to carry around with me everywhere, and I want a little pocket guide or something, so I don't look like an IDIOT...

Well, the main reason is so I don't get glutenized, but the idiot thing works too. :P

haha

Thank you so much for asking this question. I did not know it existed. I am trying to order but they are sold out of the gluten/dairy free guide and it won't take my order for the gluten/dairy/ soy free guide. It looks like a great idea.

• 2 weeks later...
*Andrea* Newbie

I've found some lists online that have helped me. I think it'd be possible for you to copy and paste the lists into a Word file and print in a small font. Better than nothing... :)

Open Original Shared Link (This website has several lists that might help! Click on the "Guide" tab.)

https://www.celiac.com/categories/Safe-Glut...3B-Ingredients/

Does anyone know if a thread has been started with links to helpful sites? I have bookmarked several on my computer and would love to share with everyone!

Good luck to us all!

cbear6301 Explorer

my grocery store sells one... its the canadian celiac association pocket dictionary... I have used that and it has been a great help.. it sold for 6.99.. has nothing but ingredients and their explanations...

Becci Enthusiast
my grocery store sells one... its the canadian celiac association pocket dictionary... I have used that and it has been a great help.. it sold for 6.99.. has nothing but ingredients and their explanations...

Would it work for here in the USA?

psawyer Proficient

In a word, yes.

When you drill down to specific ingredients there are no differences between the US and Canada.

The CCA has very recently updated the guide to the third edition. I am still working from the second edition.

Archived