This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Eye Issues

hannahp57

hannahp57 Contributor

I have been having some odd symptoms with my eyes in the past week or so. I have an appointment for wednesday of this week with the base opthamologist. I guess I just hoped maybe i could hear from someone before then that may be able to tell me if this has happened to others...

i got home from work on a monday night and had a pretty bad headache, i couldnt focus on anything and my eyes just felt so tired so i went to bed early. the next morning my eyes couldn't focus on anything and it was like they would barely stay open even though i wasnt sleepy because i had slept for over nine hours (which is a lot for me). i also noticed that every light in the house was hurting even worse, even my computer screen. and upon trying to put my contacts in my eyes burned very badly and the light sensitivity became worse. i havent been able to put them in since then. now i am noticing that i can read just as well with my glasses that are an old prescription from over four years ago. the light sensitivity will not go away. whenever i go outside i have to look at the ground. my pupils arent dilated and my head doesnt hurt at all. i just dont know what it could be. i have been on the gluten-free diet for three years this month so i dont think the diet could have caused this.

Any thoughts? I really just want to know if this is something i should be worried about? anyone ever go through vision problems like these?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

daphniela Explorer

My eyes have been so bad that I was pretty much blind. Sitting in front of a computer for hours made it worse. It sounds like a migraine to me. I would start taking a magnesium pill daily and see if that helps.

hannahp57 Contributor

Everyone has told me you're having a migraine but i didnt think it was possible to have a migraine and not have a headache. the only migraine i ever had before was 7 years ago and i was SICK for hours. this isnt anything like that. could it still be a migraine? I will look into a magnesium supplement asap because i need to get my eyes back! i hope yours stop giving you problems too. if my opt tells me anything useful i'll post it on here. maybe we are having a similar issue?

daphniela Explorer

Migraines make you sensitive to light and sound. You don't nessesarily have to have a headache. Sometimes I have a headache with light sensitivity and sometimes I am just sensitive to the light. You will probably eventully get a headache. Migraines creep up on you and get worse, if you don't treat it right away.

daphniela Explorer

I forgot to add, excederin migraine is my best friend lol.

Mother of Jibril Enthusiast
I have been having some odd symptoms with my eyes in the past week or so. I have an appointment for wednesday of this week with the base opthamologist. I guess I just hoped maybe i could hear from someone before then that may be able to tell me if this has happened to others...

i got home from work on a monday night and had a pretty bad headache, i couldnt focus on anything and my eyes just felt so tired so i went to bed early. the next morning my eyes couldn't focus on anything and it was like they would barely stay open even though i wasnt sleepy because i had slept for over nine hours (which is a lot for me). i also noticed that every light in the house was hurting even worse, even my computer screen. and upon trying to put my contacts in my eyes burned very badly and the light sensitivity became worse. i havent been able to put them in since then. now i am noticing that i can read just as well with my glasses that are an old prescription from over four years ago. the light sensitivity will not go away. whenever i go outside i have to look at the ground. my pupils arent dilated and my head doesnt hurt at all. i just dont know what it could be. i have been on the gluten-free diet for three years this month so i dont think the diet could have caused this.

Any thoughts? I really just want to know if this is something i should be worried about? anyone ever go through vision problems like these?

I'm glad to hear that you're going to see an opthamologist... it could be something more serious like vasculitis. S/he should dilate your eyes and take a look at the blood vessels.

Is this something that just started? Have you had symptoms like this before?

hannahp57 Contributor

yeah it just started a week or so ago. but i didnt know if it was just something that irritated my eyes. but it wouldnt go away so i called as soon as the clinic opened this morning. toda has been cloudy and no lights in the house have been turned on so i feel perfectly fine today. im not putting contacts in again until i know whats going on. thanks for all the responses. i feel better hearing from others

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dilettantesteph Collaborator

When I went gluten free one eye went from 20/40 to 20/20 and the other from 20/80 to 20/40. I felt like I could see better without my glasses than with them. Yet, my opthamologist said that my prescription hadn't changed. Weird right? I had blurred vision issues when eating gluten that went away.

hannahp57 Contributor

Just an update: Dr told me that it was probably bacteria in my contact that got in my eyes and were irritatig it. since it never became inflamed or puffy he said it probably hadnt actually become a full blown infection but would have had i continued wearing contacts. apparently bacteria in your eyes can make you very sensitive to lights... the problems have gotten better.

thanks for all the replies. it made me feel better just to hear from other people

Mother of Jibril Enthusiast

Glad to hear that it was something simple and treatable :)

DOCKLEARFAN Apprentice
Glad to hear that it was something simple and treatable :)

It seems that your issue is resolved, thats great !! On a similar note, there ARE lots of cases of "eye aches" with celiac people.

I'm doing some more research on that now...

Archived