This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Starbucks gluten-free Orange Cake- Bring It Back With This Petition

Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

I got this link from a Triumph Dining Site so have just lifted it so we can see the exact wording they put up.

I went on the 17th to sign the petition and there were already so many people signing.

I sure hope we get alot of people to log on as we have such a large membership

Judy

Open Original Shared Link

Posted: 17 Jul 2009 01:35 PM PDT

Much to the delight of the Celiac community, back in April the popular Starbucks franchise Open Original Shared Link, built a dedicated gluten free kitchen, and announced the release of their Open Original Shared Link, the Valencia Orange Cake. Since then, not all reviews of this new product have been glowing, but the goodwill Starbucks built up has been overwhelming, making this product launch a strong success for this company in my mind.

Now only three months later, after several speculative reports online, it looks like Starbucks may be planning to discontinue this new product and replace it with the more nutritious Open Original Shared Link. When asked on their official Twitter page, here was Starbucks response:

We heard that it was too much of a treat, and not a nutritious snack. The Open Original Shared Link bar is replacing it.

At this point, I guess this is mostly speculation/concern, but we will post additional information once something is confirmed either way. To those of you that have tried the Valencia Orange Cake, what did you think?

Update: The Celiac community is very proactive, and it looks like Triumph Dining has started a petition. You can learn more and sign the petition Open Original Shared Link.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lizard00 Enthusiast

Just added my name. :) Thanks for posting the link.

jerseyangel Proficient

I voted, too. Thanks for posting the link to make it easy for anyone who wants to vote :D

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Wow :lol:

By the time I edited the post there were 2 people who had signed already

Way to go guys.

:)

Generic Apprentice

signed

Tica Apprentice

Starbucks response:

We heard that it was too much of a treat, and not a nutritious snack. The Open Original Shared Link bar is replacing it.

And what do they consider their Frapuccinos with hazle nut syrup, whipped cream and milk, a healthy drink? I think that we can determine if we are in the mood for a healthy snack and eat the kindsnack or are in the mood for a treat and have the valencia orange gluten-free cake. What Starbucks wants to "think" for me now, too?

I putting my vote in.. Thanks for posting the link.

Darn210 Enthusiast

Judy is on a mission!!! :P . . . I've signed!! Hope it works.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient
Starbucks response:

We heard that it was too much of a treat, and not a nutritious snack.

This left a bad taste in my mouth, too. :angry:

The last time I was there, I had tea and my brought-from-home Enjoy Life Bar, while my husband ordered an apparently healthy chocolate chip cookie <_< . I guess if you're not following a gluten-free diet, Starbucks doesn't mind you having a treat.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
This left a bad taste in my mouth, too. :angry:

<_< . I guess if you're not following a gluten-free diet, Starbucks doesn't mind you having a treat.

I GUESS THEY WILL DECIDE WHAT WE CAN EAT......DITTO ABOVE POST TOO

GRRRRR.......left a bad taste in my mouth ALSO :unsure:

hannahp57 Contributor

I'm voting. it ticks me off because if you read the INGREDIENT list you can tell whick is healthier. its made of oranges, baking powder and almonds. not much there. how is that unhealthy? makes no sense. i think they are full of it and i wanna know what the problem really is

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
I think they are full of it and I wanna know what the problem really is

Me too

I'm not buying any of this.

These are some of the reasons i'm reading on other forums.

1. Not healthy ...like the other bakery treats they have there are? :blink:

2. Too expencive to make.......... :ph34r: PLEEAASSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

3. They can't keep with the demand for the product. :angry:

4. They weren't selling. B)

5. Easier for them to TRY to satisfy us by 'throwing' us a bar we can buy anywhere else and bring into their store....... ;)

6. You had to ask for the orange cake in most store because it was not even in the food case. It was always pulled from someplace that was out of my view. Yes, but I think people asked for that becasue of cc and that's why it was wrapped individually.

7. It is just a rumor and there is a petition. We need everyone to sign that petition to show what a LARGE, and IMPORTANT group we are becoming.General Mills reformulated Chex cereals.

Have any of you heard other reasons?

Judy

mommida Enthusiast

I think they are product testing the gluten free community.

1. You had to ask for the orange cake in most store because it was not even in the food case. It was always pulled from someplace that was out of my view.

2. It is just a rumor and there is a petition. We need everyone to sign that petition to show what a LARGE, and IMPORTANT group we are becoming.

General Mills reformulated Chex cereals. We now are getting (is it Betty Crocker?) baking mixes.

Archived