This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mcdonalds

MasterGberry

MasterGberry Newbie

Okay, I would like to be the one to clear things up here. I currently work at McDonalds and live a gluten free life also. So i am a professional at what you can and cannot eat there. In the United States there is gluten in the french fries due to the beef flavoring as previously said. I have been trying to talk to the right person about getting this taken out but so far no luck.

Here are some common items you would think is gluten free but not.

Some of the dressings (READ THE INGREDIENTS)

French Fries

Angus Burgers (If you want this to be gluten free you must obviously not get the bun but also tell them no angus seasoning)

Grilled Chicken (The Chicken for the salads and sandwiches has wheat also in it >_> Go figure. I ate them for 2 months and then found out)

Hash Browns

Nuts in the Fruit and walnut salad (Yogurt and fruit is alright)

Snicker McFlurry

The Pies (DUH)

All the McCafe drinks are gluten free. (I personally love the Hot Chocolate)

Watch out for the cross contamination with the ice cream (My sister bought some gluten free cones, got them to make the ice cream with theres, and had it dipped in the chocolate. BIG NO NO. The Chocolate dip sauce is cross contaminated with the regular cones so there is gluten in it.)

Here is what I will eat there.

Parfaits (No Granola)

They are extremely nice about accommodating me with lettuce wraps. I even do this for the breakfast items =D (Egg McMuffin lettuce wrapped. Tastes better than it sounds) Due to this I can eat any burger there except the chicken, fish, and the angus seasoning.

Salads with no chicken and specific dressings

Breakfast items are mostly gluten free besides the bread of course.

That's all I can think about right now. Let me know if this helps and if there are anymore questions.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Amyleigh0007 Enthusiast

Oh no. The fries debate again....... Brace yourselves......

The burger patties used to be gluten free. Now that they have the Angus burger, the other burger patties are no longer gluten free. There is wheat in the seasoning they use on the Angus burger so there is very high risk of CC. From what I have heard, the Angus is here to stay. It's not a temporary, trial thing. It's too bad.

MasterGberry Newbie
Oh no. The fries debate again....... Brace yourselves......

The burger patties used to be gluten free. Now that they have the Angus burger, the other burger patties are no longer gluten free. There is wheat in the seasoning they use on the Angus burger so there is very high risk of CC. From what I have heard, the Angus is here to stay. It's not a temporary, trial thing. It's too bad.

Well I have been working for 11 months in SoCal and the Angus has been around for a while here, now its nationwide. The Seasoning is exclusively for the Angus Burgers. You cannot eat it. Just tell the cashier that you do not want any angus seasoning on the burger. It is the last piece added to the sandwich. All the other burger patties are gluten free.

Takala Enthusiast

Like we'd want to eat beef patties cooked on a grill where the "angus wheat" seasoning was flying around cross contaminating everything. <_<

McDonalds: now entering the category of even more non celiac/gluten-free friendly.

Amyleigh0007 Enthusiast
Like we'd want to eat beef patties cooked on a grill where the "angus wheat" seasoning was flying around cross contaminating everything. <_<

McDonalds: now entering the category of even more non celiac/gluten-free friendly.

Exactly. Now the regular burger patties are contaminated. This has been a hot topic in my local support group. Many families get bun-free burger happy meals for their kids. Not anymore.

Lisa Mentor

Thanks you for your listing MasterG. This is from the official McD's listing:

Open Original Shared Link

The French Fries have been tested independently and they test under a significant level that is safe for Celiacs to consume. Choose as you will.

larry mac Enthusiast

MGB,

Thanks for the heads up about the Angus Burger patties. I was planning on having one soon, but thanks to you that's out. Not once, but twice wheat is listed as an ingredient. As some may know, I've been a big defender of my little local Walmart Mcdonalds (and their fries). Needless to say, I'm extremely dissapointed now.

best regards, lm

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 3 weeks later...
Daryl Newbie

Uhhhhhgggg. I can't believe the Angus patties have wheat in the seasoning. If the seasoning is added to the beef while on the grill, then yes, the grill becomes contaminated. If the seasoning is added before the patty is placed in the container/on the bun, we might be ok. If the seasoning is indeed added while they're cooked on the grill, then the regular burgers are going to take onthe seasoning taste too. So this one has me baffled a bit. I say we get as many people as possible to write to them, explaining the situation and ask them to consider a seasoning that does not contain wheat. And also, ask them of the preparation process for the Angus burgers/meals.

As for the fries, they're fine. They are cooked in a dedicated fryer, and i'm going by the independent study that found no traces of gluten. Just my 2 cents though.

lovegrov Collaborator

It sounds like the angus seasoning is added at the end of actually assembling the burger, so it would not be applied before or while the patty is on the grill. However, it's just one more thing with wheat to contaminate the counter, gloves, etc.

richard

Darn210 Enthusiast

It might be something to ask at your local McD's . . . but I ask at ours, right after this thread was initiated, and the manager there said that the seasoning was added while the burgers were still on the grill. I told him that would contaminate his whole grill making the other patties unsafe for a celiac/gi/wheat allergeric person . . . all I got was an "OH" . . . no more patties for us. My daughter now eats a side salad and an order of fries when we go there.

elle's mom Contributor
It might be something to ask at your local McD's . . . but I ask at ours, right after this thread was initiated, and the manager there said that the seasoning was added while the burgers were still on the grill. I told him that would contaminate his whole grill making the other patties unsafe for a celiac/gi/wheat allergeric person . . . all I got was an "OH" . . . no more patties for us. My daughter now eats a side salad and an order of fries when we go there.

This is sooooooo disappointing; double cheeseburger no bun was one of the only things keeping travel with 4 kids somewhat doable. Of course packing healthier food is always the goal, just very difficult sometimes. We're working on getting our celiac daughter to eat the side salad, but no dice as of yet-I wouldn't eat salad until well into my 20's, she's only 4 so hopefully she does better than that! So, is Wendy's about the only celiac friendly fast food? Any suggestions from the experienced pros (other than just stay home and/or pack your own food)?

KathiSharpe Apprentice

AFAIK Wendy's "burgers" are gluten free (I put "burgers" in quotes because anything thinner than your average piece of paper is pretty questionable in my book :lol: )

BUT -- their fries are listed as gluten-free. They are fried in a "dedicated fryer". HOWEVER their fries do not remain gluten-free.

In every Wendy's I've ever been in, the chicken fryer is to left side and the FF fryer to the right; and the rack where they dump the food out is to the right of that. So they pull the fry baskets out of the chicken, cross over the FF fryer, and to the place where the chicken is removed from the basket. Cross contamination.

Wendy's was wholly unconcerned when I called to complain and refused to post a warning.

elle's mom Contributor
AFAIK Wendy's "burgers" are gluten free (I put "burgers" in quotes because anything thinner than your average piece of paper is pretty questionable in my book :lol: )

BUT -- their fries are listed as gluten-free. They are fried in a "dedicated fryer". HOWEVER their fries do not remain gluten-free.

In every Wendy's I've ever been in, the chicken fryer is to left side and the FF fryer to the right; and the rack where they dump the food out is to the right of that. So they pull the fry baskets out of the chicken, cross over the FF fryer, and to the place where the chicken is removed from the basket. Cross contamination.

Wendy's was wholly unconcerned when I called to complain and refused to post a warning.

Actually, we usually (well only done it twice, but anyway) have done the grilled chicken/baked potato at Wendy's. At least with chicken IMO you don't miss the bun as much as with a burger patty. Their grilled chicken I think is really quite good. My daughter will actually eat it too so whenever we see Wendy's at least we know we have an option. Plus, I do like their salads.....and then there's the Frosty's (not for me due to no dairy right now, but good for the kids). Oops, this has turned into a Wendy's thread instead of McD's.....SORRY!! PS, usually I'm good at figuring out the abbreviations, but you stumped me on the AFAIK??

KathiSharpe Apprentice
PS, usually I'm good at figuring out the abbreviations, but you stumped me on the AFAIK??

AFAIK = As far as I know

What I don't know about is the grilled chicken at Wendy's. I know that in several restaurants lately I've either inquired about or researched beforehand and realized that the grilled chicken is marinated or injected with gluten-containing broth (like McD's, and McAlisters.)

elle's mom Contributor
AFAIK = As far as I know

Got it, thanks ;)

What I don't know about is the grilled chicken at Wendy's. I know that in several restaurants lately I've either inquired about or researched beforehand and realized that the grilled chicken is marinated or injected with gluten-containing broth (like McD's, and McAlisters.)

............hopefully, it's not one of those listed as gluten free but it really isn't. I hate those.

lizard00 Enthusiast
This is sooooooo disappointing; double cheeseburger no bun was one of the only things keeping travel with 4 kids somewhat doable. Of course packing healthier food is always the goal, just very difficult sometimes. We're working on getting our celiac daughter to eat the side salad, but no dice as of yet-I wouldn't eat salad until well into my 20's, she's only 4 so hopefully she does better than that! So, is Wendy's about the only celiac friendly fast food? Any suggestions from the experienced pros (other than just stay home and/or pack your own food)?

When on the road, we stop at either Chick Fil A or Wendy's. Those are about it for me. I tried the Wendy's burger no bun twice... I think. Both times it didn't end well for me. You always ask about the fries. At any Wendy's. Always. I stick to the chili or salad and maybe a frosty. Fries if I like their answer. :)

KathiSharpe Apprentice
So, is Wendy's about the only celiac friendly fast food?

Hardee's low carb burger (lettuce wrap) is gluten-free, as are their "natural" fries ... can't vouch for cross-contam issues tho. That's probably dependent on the local store more than anything.

Sonic has some great options too - Open Original Shared Link

RESO Apprentice

I checked wendy's web site about a month ago and they state that their fries are gluten free however they are NOT fried in a dedicated fryer so they recommend people with gluten allergies don't eat them. My local Wendy's has no information but there is a gluten free menu on the web site.

RESO Apprentice

McDonald's fries may be gluten free after testing, but is the fryer really dedicated? I would not trust that the employees don't ever accidentally drop in a chicken mcnugget or two or whatever else they fry that contains gluten. It's a personal choice, of course, but I wouldn't trust it unless I knew the people working there and trusted them.

elle's mom Contributor
McDonald's fries may be gluten free after testing, but is the fryer really dedicated? I would not trust that the employees don't ever accidentally drop in a chicken mcnugget or two or whatever else they fry that contains gluten. It's a personal choice, of course, but I wouldn't trust it unless I knew the people working there and trusted them.

Many years ago, in high school, I used to work at McD's; at the one I worked, and any others that I've observed, the fries are prepared off to the side at a separate "fry" area, whereas the nuggets, chicken sandwiches, etc. are made in the "grill" area located behind the counter, not even near each other.

The only thing though, I just thought of this, is that the breakfast hashbrowns are made in the same place as the fries, but aren't they gluten-free too?

Darn210 Enthusiast
I checked wendy's web site about a month ago and they state that their fries are gluten free however they are NOT fried in a dedicated fryer so they recommend people with gluten allergies don't eat them. My local Wendy's has no information but there is a gluten free menu on the web site.

Wendy's can't quote that there fries are gluten free because not ALL of their locations have a dedicated frier. Many locations do. It's a matter of asking. If they have a dedicated frier, we eat the fries.

psawyer Proficient
The only thing though, I just thought of this, is that the breakfast hashbrowns are made in the same place as the fries, but aren't they gluten-free too?

Yes, they are. There will be no contamination from the hash browns. Both the fries and the hash browns are fried in dedicated fryers at the front of the store by the window crew. Everything else is done in the back by the grill crew. Nothing is going to be accidentally dropped in the wrong fryer.

KathiSharpe Apprentice
If they have a dedicated frier, we eat the fries.

Even if there's grease+crumbs from other products in the fryer (droppage)??

Just curious.... it seems like some people (like me) are far more sensitive than others to the minute presence of gluten. McD's fries always made me sick and if I remember right that was one of the Great Mysteries when I was gluten-free before. Then they came out with the "contains meat and wheat" thing and I was like, "duuhhhhhh".

To me, anything with WHEAT on the label is an absolute no no... but it sounds like people here eat them all the time and *don't* get sick. Anyone know why that is?

BTW we ate Hardee's last night and I feel fine (low carb burger and fries) but I really do wonder at the safety of the fries due to the CC issue. I'll have a talk with the manager next time I go in, just to see what she says about it.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Even if there's grease+crumbs from other products in the fryer (droppage)??

Just curious.... it seems like some people (like me) are far more sensitive than others to the minute presence of gluten. McD's fries always made me sick and if I remember right that was one of the Great Mysteries when I was gluten-free before. Then they came out with the "contains meat and wheat" thing and I was like, "duuhhhhhh".

To me, anything with WHEAT on the label is an absolute no no... but it sounds like people here eat them all the time and *don't* get sick. Anyone know why that is?

BTW we ate Hardee's last night and I feel fine (low carb burger and fries) but I really do wonder at the safety of the fries due to the CC issue. I'll have a talk with the manager next time I go in, just to see what she says about it.

It does seem some of us are more sensitive than others. I don't know if it might have something to do with what genes you carry or the amount of damage that you had and the number of systems effected or perhaps some of us react to more than just the gluten in gluten foods. If some of us also react to someother component in gluten grains that might explain why some of us tolerate distilled gluten grains and some of us don't.

I know once children heal they may seem to tolerate gluten again, the reason why we were thought to outgrow celiac and perhaps that same mechanizm is involved with the others who are able to eat trace amounts. I also avoid anything with the contains wheat warning as I suffer greatly if I don't. For me even trace amounts cause intense sickness so it is sooo not worth it to me. For awhile there were countless items that others would seem to eat safely and I would try them over and over with the same nasty results. I think we have to trust our bodies and if you have reactions to trace amounts you need to avoid the items even if others seem to be fine with them.

foodiegurl Collaborator
Yes, they are. There will be no contamination from the hash browns. Both the fries and the hash browns are fried in dedicated fryers at the front of the store by the window crew. Everything else is done in the back by the grill crew. Nothing is going to be accidentally dropped in the wrong fryer.

I am so confused now...so McDs fries are OK to eat? Or the actual fries themselves contain gluten?

Archived