This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ears Ringing, Brain Fog And Cystic Infection W/celiac?

belaugh86

belaugh86 Newbie

Has anyone ever experienced extreme brain fog/fatigue and even loss of hearing due to coming in contact with gluten, casein or any other allergy/intolerance? I ate out at a restaurant last night and this morning I woke up with ringing in my left ear, it feels clogged, and things sound louder than they are but I can't hear myself speak very clearly.

I also have problems with a pilonydal cyst and rarely, cystic acne. I don't know if anyone else has ever experienced this but I believe it may be related to whenver I ingest even a small amount of gluten that may have touched a grain of some sort I react to it. The cyst comes and goes and has affected me on and off for my entire life. It gets inflamed especially when I am stressed, not getting enough sleep, or during PMS, or if I am eating a pro-inflammatory diet (lots of sugar, processed foods even if they are gluten free.)

I wrote a previous post a week or so ago about the fact that I think I am completely grain intolerant. I cut out dairy recently and started feeling better. I've also had problems with hemorrhoids (sorry if that's TMI but I really do need help here) and they have seemed to go away somewhat with cutting out dairy, just in the past couple of days. I have also been to the doctor for most of these issues - antibiotics for the cyst when it occurs (no longer works), accutane for acne (helped but had horrible side effects), and 4 prescriptions for the hemorrhoids. I am convinced that none of these drugs will help but that my health issues are diet related.

I mentioned in my previous post that I felt better when I went on The South Beach Diet phase 1, where you eliminate all grains and sugar from your diet for the first two weeks. I was able to go to the bathroom more easily and my brain fog and headaches went away within days. I also lost weight very quickly and seem to gain it very easily when I eat any grains, regardless of gluten content.

I guess my question is has anyone else had similar symptoms? Maybe not all, but some, maybe one or the other? And if so, is there anyone out there who has cut out grains entirely from their diet and feels better? I am planning on giving up corn, soy, rice, and other processed grains as well as the ones I have already given up (dairy and wheat). The foggy headed/ears ringing feeling is not a head cold.

Any tips would really help, if anyone else has experienced similar problems or issues I'd love to hear what has helped you. I have also been tested for celiac but came back negative, went ahead and cut out wheat anyway and it helped.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

YoloGx Rookie
Has anyone ever experienced extreme brain fog/fatigue and even loss of hearing due to coming in contact with gluten, casein or any other allergy/intolerance? I ate out at a restaurant last night and this morning I woke up with ringing in my left ear, it feels clogged, and things sound louder than they are but I can't hear myself speak very clearly.

I also have problems with a pilonydal cyst and rarely, cystic acne. I don't know if anyone else has ever experienced this but I believe it may be related to whenver I ingest even a small amount of gluten that may have touched a grain of some sort I react to it. The cyst comes and goes and has affected me on and off for my entire life. It gets inflamed especially when I am stressed, not getting enough sleep, or during PMS, or if I am eating a pro-inflammatory diet (lots of sugar, processed foods even if they are gluten free.)

I wrote a previous post a week or so ago about the fact that I think I am completely grain intolerant. I cut out dairy recently and started feeling better. I've also had problems with hemorrhoids (sorry if that's TMI but I really do need help here) and they have seemed to go away somewhat with cutting out dairy, just in the past couple of days. I have also been to the doctor for most of these issues - antibiotics for the cyst when it occurs (no longer works), accutane for acne (helped but had horrible side effects), and 4 prescriptions for the hemorrhoids. I am convinced that none of these drugs will help but that my health issues are diet related.

I mentioned in my previous post that I felt better when I went on The South Beach Diet phase 1, where you eliminate all grains and sugar from your diet for the first two weeks. I was able to go to the bathroom more easily and my brain fog and headaches went away within days. I also lost weight very quickly and seem to gain it very easily when I eat any grains, regardless of gluten content.

I guess my question is has anyone else had similar symptoms? Maybe not all, but some, maybe one or the other? And if so, is there anyone out there who has cut out grains entirely from their diet and feels better? I am planning on giving up corn, soy, rice, and other processed grains as well as the ones I have already given up (dairy and wheat). The foggy headed/ears ringing feeling is not a head cold.

Any tips would really help, if anyone else has experienced similar problems or issues I'd love to hear what has helped you. I have also been tested for celiac but came back negative, went ahead and cut out wheat anyway and it helped.

Yes yes and yes, unfortunately. I too have had to go off all grains. and sugars. Maybe once in a blue moon I have some wild rice after washing the raw grain several times before cooking. Many here who are very sensitive have had to go on a modified specific carbohydrate diet. Its not usually our first choice, instead it is a necessity. The positive health results however are really worth it. Clarity of mind, energy, no headaches etc. etc. Called having a life for once.

Taking baking soda in a glass of water for the foggy head cold feeling helps in a pinch; however its a pinch you don't want to do all the time. Also occasionally using liver cleansing herbs like dandelion root and/or yellow dock and lymphatic cleansing herbs like cleavers or echinacea also really helps me. Don't use them if you get D all the time however. I take marshmallow root or slippery elm caps pretty regularly to soothe out and heal the inflamed intestines just as a regular prophylactic.

A few years ago when I was living with a wheat eater I experimented with eating a gluten cookie now and then (this is when I thought I just had a gluten allergy) one of the first symptoms I would have would be a pimple(s)--usually in the same spots and enlarged lymph nodes as well as a plugged up nose, canker sores, brain fog, headaches and bodyaches etc. etc. as well as more easily contracting some cold or flu that would last seemingly forever.

Growing up as a celiac (but not knowing it) I often had visions and would occasionally hear music that wasn't actually there. It was so bad I used to peel my fingernails and had sore cracked areas at the edges of my lips and back of my ears plus my hair was always straight and falling out. All classic cases of nutritional deficiencies despite otherwise having a relatively good diet.

I still get what I call the itchy crusty skin b%$@#ies if I eat any sugar at all, including fruit or say potato or yam. If I eat same, it also makes it hard for me to sleep since it inflames my old low back injury and sacrum area.

So, you are not crazy, just sensitive. Probably more adapted (like some of us ) for the pre-agricultural world!

And oh yes I have had the ear ringing from allergens. Its not that uncommon. My partner gets that also.

I also went for a couple of days not being able to interpret a word anyone said after getting zapped from the fumes doing a ceramic kiln fire without a mask.

Bea

ang1e0251 Contributor

I too feel better on no grains. But I'm now just eating grain light. I have rice 2 or 3 times a week. I did make those brownies, you know the ones, and I have been eating those this week. But I won't probably have those again for a month. I've been craving enchiladas so I will make those sometime soon with corn tortillas. Actually, corn is the grain I do the best with. Over all I have given up all other grains. I will make some goodies for the holidays but for day to day, I eat very little grain.

shendler Rookie

Last night I had dairy in a gluten free dish and I had ringing in my ears and a bad headache. Today I had some cheese and I've been throwing up, I'm dizzy, my pulse is fast. I a finding that each day there are more and more things I just can't eat.

Archived