This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is Miralax Gluten-free?

ann72601

ann72601 Apprentice

I was told by my doctor to take Miralax for the C and I'm having the worst gluten reaction I've ever had. I'm actually afraid!! I looked at my gluten-free books and I couldn't find that it was actually a gluten-free product in the 2009 updates, but trusted that she knew what she was talking about or she wouldn't have told me to take it. I know that manufacturer's tell us that they can change a product at any time and not alert us, and they did apparently. I worry about kids and this product since it's so mainstreamed as a 'safe' treatment, but it certainly is not........anymore. Anyone else had this issue?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

The Fluffy Assassin Enthusiast
I was told by my doctor to take Miralax for the C and I'm having the worst gluten reaction I've ever had. I'm actually afraid!! I looked at my gluten-free books and I couldn't find that it was actually a gluten-free product in the 2009 updates, but trusted that she knew what she was talking about or she wouldn't have told me to take it. I know that manufacturer's tell us that they can change a product at any time and not alert us, and they did apparently. I worry about kids and this product since it's so mainstreamed as a 'safe' treatment, but it certainly is not........anymore. Anyone else had this issue?

I don't know what your gluten reactions are like, but the listed known side effects Open Original Shared Link (Choose Side Effects from the left sidebar) sound like they could mimic a lot of people's gluten reactions pretty well. I couldn't find any statement saying whether or not it had gluten either. If your reaction is all that scary, don't hesitate to go to the emergency room; otherwise, talk to your doctor about it in the morning.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Doctors don't have the slightest idea what is gluten free and what isn't. We have to check everything they prescribe whether it is OTC or script. The Miralax should have a contact number for the company I would call them and ask them directly or ask your pharmacist to help. I am sorry this got you.

ang1e0251 Contributor

That's true. My dr made it clear to me that he doesn't have that information available to him. So if he prescribes a drug, I have to research for myself whether it's gluten-free or not. Don't assume what your dr knows, always ask. Dr's really don't know much about nutrition.

Mtndog Collaborator

I am pretty sure Miralax is gluten-free (my doctor is at the leading celiac center in Boston and she prescribed it for me); however, I felt horrid on it. And it didn't really work.

I would recommend Cleanse More by Renew Life (health food stores and Whole Foods carry it) or OxyPowder (you can get online) or just taking a magnesium supplement. Those have all worked for me with no side effects.

OptimisticMom42 Apprentice

Hello Ann,

I've used Miralax to undo a glutening. I don't like it because it takes three days to move through my system but it works and it did not cause a gluten reaction in me. (itching on knees, elbows and eyelids, constipation, so tired it feels like I'm carrying a medicine ball).

I think we need to look for another reason for your reaction. Everyone is different but if I were taking Miralax for constipation and I started itching I would know that something else I ingested was not safe. I know it's hard to do while you are sick but you are going to have to be a detective. Read every label (or stop ingesting foods that come with a label), google everything, don't overlook your pets food, or fellas kisses, cutting boards, et. I know it sounds crazy but I even got glutened from the steam coming off the cheap macaroni I cooked for the not celiac children I was babysitting. Their mom brought it. I cooked it. I was leaning over the pot to get a good look, trying to see if it was done. The steam got on my forehead and I started itching. The next morning I had a rash.

I hope you are feeling better soon,

OptimisticMom42

ann72601 Apprentice
Hello Ann,

I've used Miralax to undo a glutening. I don't like it because it takes three days to move through my system but it works and it did not cause a gluten reaction in me. (itching on knees, elbows and eyelids, constipation, so tired it feels like I'm carrying a medicine ball).

I think we need to look for another reason for your reaction. Everyone is different but if I were taking Miralax for constipation and I started itching I would know that something else I ingested was not safe. I know it's hard to do while you are sick but you are going to have to be a detective. Read every label (or stop ingesting foods that come with a label), google everything, don't overlook your pets food, or fellas kisses, cutting boards, et. I know it sounds crazy but I even got glutened from the steam coming off the cheap macaroni I cooked for the not celiac children I was babysitting. Their mom brought it. I cooked it. I was leaning over the pot to get a good look, trying to see if it was done. The steam got on my forehead and I started itching. The next morning I had a rash.

I hope you are feeling better soon,

OptimisticMom42

Oh my.........I just don't know. I check everything so carefully and still this happened. I've not slept all night. I get ringing in the ears, heartburn, nausea, my colon just stops workin and sits there like I'm going to birth an alien; I tingle down my arms and hands and they swell, my feet swell; I have heart palpitations, I can't breathe, my lung burns, and I'm so confused and tired! Does this sound like a glutening or an allergic reaction? I'm only in the process about 1 month. I thought I had cleaned out the house of all gluten and I still can't think of anything I had that wasn't listed as safe. I even peeled my peach, just in case. I'm so frustrated and tired. I am so tired of being a detective and putting my husband through this too. This disease seems like a cruel joke and I wish I had more control over my attitude today.

I had a peeled peach, a slice of Oscar Meyer ham (verified gluten-free), and the Miralax. In a matter of 30 minutes, I was sick. Any thoughts?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Oh my.........I just don't know. I check everything so carefully and still this happened. I've not slept all night. I get ringing in the ears, heartburn, nausea, my colon just stops workin and sits there like I'm going to birth an alien; I tingle down my arms and hands and they swell, my feet swell; I have heart palpitations, I can't breathe, my lung burns, and I'm so confused and tired! Does this sound like a glutening or an allergic reaction? I'm only in the process about 1 month. I thought I had cleaned out the house of all gluten and I still can't think of anything I had that wasn't listed as safe. I even peeled my peach, just in case. I'm so frustrated and tired. I am so tired of being a detective and putting my husband through this too. This disease seems like a cruel joke and I wish I had more control over my attitude today.

I had a peeled peach, a slice of Oscar Meyer ham (verified gluten-free), and the Miralax. In a matter of 30 minutes, I was sick. Any thoughts?

Sounds like a glutening to me, but it may not have been any of the items you listed. We all know how you feel, I think most of us have been there especially in the beginning. It can be very frustrating at first, in part because not every company is as good at labeling and diclosing shared facilities. Some companies don't disclose barley malt for example so we need to call if we see the words natural flavoring. Also throw in the fact that for some of us the gluten reaction is delayed by up to a couple days and it can make it hard to figure stuff out. A food diary can be helpful in pinpointing suspect items. You've only been on the diet a month and may be experiencing some withdrawl. We can become very emotional when first off the stuff. Take it easy on yourself for a bit. I hope this passes soon.

If you haven't already you should get some sublingual B12, make sure it is sublingual and gluten free of corse. That should help with the tingles and other nerve type impact.

Generic Apprentice

I take Miralax from time to time due to C from percocet. I have never had a reaction. But just in case they changed the ingredients I just called the 800 number. They confirmed it is gluten-free.

ang1e0251 Contributor

I started reacting to ham last summer. I'm guessing it's the nitrites/trates. I only eat Hormel Naturals now, no added bad stuff. Maybe it was the ham. Does it also contain MSG? Some people react that. I try to avoid it.

shendler Rookie

I started reacting to ham last summer. I'm guessing it's the nitrites/trates. I only eat Hormel Naturals now, no added bad stuff. Maybe it was the ham. Does it also contain MSG? Some people react that. I try to avoid it.

I can't eat peaches or ham without a reaction. I would try to eat both on their own and see which ones you react to.

mamaw Community Regular

I've been on miralax for several years with no problems...some people just have problems with any fiber in general.

lovegrov Collaborator

What are the ingredients? Have you called and checked with the manufacturer, which should have been your first move?

Please do not post a headline to a topic declaring that a product is not gluten-free simply because you didn't react well. That proves nothing at all. Maybe it isn't gluten-free, but nothing you've posted has proven that. You need to call the manufacturer.

richard

PS -- I tried getting onto the Miralax website but it froze up.

ann72601 Apprentice
I've been on miralax for several years with no problems...some people just have problems with any fiber in general.

Thank you. I'm new and confused.

Michi8 Contributor
What are the ingredients? Have you called and checked with the manufacturer, which should have been your first move?

Please do not post a headline to a topic declaring that a product is not gluten-free simply because you didn't react well. That proves nothing at all. Maybe it isn't gluten-free, but nothing you've posted has proven that. You need to call the manufacturer.

richard

PS -- I tried getting onto the Miralax website but it froze up.

Miralax is PEG-3350 (Polyethylene Glycol.) It is gluten free. We can't buy Miralax in Canada, so we get PEG-3350 from the compounding pharmacy.

Michelle

lovegrov Collaborator
Miralax is PEG-3350 (Polyethylene Glycol.) It is gluten free. We can't buy Miralax in Canada, so we get PEG-3350 from the compounding pharmacy.

Michelle

You're right. Miralax is just one gluten-free active ingredient and no inactive ingredients. It should be gluten-free.

richard

Archived