This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone In Mobile, Al?

Curtiss Ann Matlock

Curtiss Ann Matlock Newbie

I have just moved to South Mobile, Alabama from Oklahoma. Would love to meet with other Celiacs/Gluten-Intolerant of the area.

CurtissAnn

8 years gluten-free.

Also mostly soy and dairy-free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

luvthelake21 Rookie

Just wanted to say hi and welcome to the South and the forum. I live in Birmingham, Alabama. If you have any questions just ask and some one will try to help you out,there is a very great group of people here.

BamaGal Newbie

Just wanted to say hi as well. I live in Prattville, which is a suburb of Montgomery. Would love to chat sometime about celiac disease and the gluten free diet! :D

luvthelake21 Rookie

Hey Bamagirl and welcome to the forum. Are you a Alabama or Auburn fan? I assume you are for Alabama. Nice to see some Southern girls on here. How are you doing? Lets chat sometime

BamaGal Newbie

Hello! I am a die-hard Auburn fan. I know the name is misleading, but, oh well, WAR EAGLE!!!!! I didn't see your e-mail address on your profile. Drop me a line sometime at wheadley@knology.net. would love to chat!

:P

luvthelake21 Rookie

Good i am a big Aubrn fan also.waaaarrrr eagle...............

e-mail lynnmartin2@hotmail.com

luvthelake21 Rookie

Where r the Alabama Girls?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 1 month later...
sredrobin Newbie
I have just moved to South Mobile, Alabama from Oklahoma. Would love to meet with other Celiacs/Gluten-Intolerant of the area.

CurtissAnn

8 years gluten-free.

Hey CurtissAnn

I am new to the Celiac forms and also to the disease. I would so love to find a doctor near Birminham that can help me..

• 2 weeks later...
Mel is well Newbie

Hi CurtissAnn,

I have Celiac Disease and live in West Mobile, AL. I have been thinking about trying to start up some type of dinner group, but haven't found the time or motivation yet. :-) I have also been thinking about sending a letter to some of the locally-owned restaurants around town to see if they will identify gluten in their menus or come up with some gluten-free options. There are definitely a lot of Celiacs around Mobile - I keep meeting people in the gluten-free section of my local Bruno's and Winn-Dixie. :D -Melissa

rebeccaspacex Newbie
Hi CurtissAnn,

I have Celiac Disease and live in West Mobile, AL. I have been thinking about trying to start up some type of dinner group, but haven't found the time or motivation yet. :-) I have also been thinking about sending a letter to some of the locally-owned restaurants around town to see if they will identify gluten in their menus or come up with some gluten-free options. There are definitely a lot of Celiacs around Mobile - I keep meeting people in the gluten-free section of my local Bruno's and Winn-Dixie. :D -Melissa

I also live in West Mobile and have lots of trouble finding new restaurants that are safe. There are so many chain restaurants here I would love to be involved in a dinner group where we could start to provide info. to the area places. I know the owner/chef at Blu Bistro is very knowledgeable, but it's pricey. Be careful ordering the spicy chicken soup at Carrabba's because twice I have found a piece of pasta in it. I basically don't order it anymore for that reason. They have some other great stuff though.

Bonefish and Outback are two fairly safe bets. The lunch at Sunflower Cafe on Airport serves a sandwich and pizza that are gluten-free. Also, the Sunflower Cafe in Fairhope serves Redbridge, which is Budweiser's gluten-free beer and is pretty good. Nothing like going to a restaurant for beer and pizza! I moved from LA (Los Angeles, not Lower AL) where they have gluten-free pizza delivery but I feel lucky to be in a place where I can at least go to a restaurant and have it even if it is 25 min. away. Fresh Market and sometimes Winn Dixie carry Redbridge beer, also.

Let me know if you want to start up a group together. I've been here two years but I don't know a lot of people.

• 2 weeks later...
Just wanted to say hi and welcome to the South and the forum. I live in Birmingham, Alabama. If you have any questions just ask and some one will try to help you out,there is a very great group of people here.

Thanks for the welcome. I am a member of GIG, know there is an active GIG in Birmingham-- but that is far away!

Hi CurtissAnn,

Hi, Melissa-- I'm just now getting back on here. I have yet to learn well the operation of this forum. Would like to connect with you and other celiacs in Mobile. I, too, have 'flirted' with the idea of starting a group, but with trying to get settled and taking care of an active grandchild, I have little time or energy left.

CurtissAnn

I also live in West Mobile and have lots of trouble finding new restaurants that are safe. There are so many chain restaurants here I would love to be involved in a dinner group where we could start to provide info. to the area places. I know the owner/chef at Blu Bistro is very knowledgeable, but it's pricey. Be careful ordering the spicy chicken soup at Carrabba's because twice I have found a piece of pasta in it. I basically don't order it anymore for that reason. They have some other great stuff though.

Bonefish and Outback are two fairly safe bets. The lunch at Sunflower Cafe on Airport serves a sandwich and pizza that are gluten-free. Also, the Sunflower Cafe in Fairhope serves Redbridge, which is Budweiser's gluten-free beer and is pretty good. Nothing like going to a restaurant for beer and pizza! I moved from LA (Los Angeles, not Lower AL) where they have gluten-free pizza delivery but I feel lucky to be in a place where I can at least go to a restaurant and have it even if it is 25 min. away. Fresh Market and sometimes Winn Dixie carry Redbridge beer, also.

Let me know if you want to start up a group together. I've been here two years but I don't know a lot of people.

Hi! How I appreciate your info on the restaurants. I love Outback and Carrabbas, but get tired of them. I must seek the Sunflower Cafe. I find Fresh Market and Virginia's Healthfood pretty much of a disappointment, but not too inconvenient, since I order most of my food. I stick mostly with plain whole foods cooked at home.

I, too, would be willing to help start a group. I don't know many people, am pretty much of a happy introvert.

CurtissAnn

BamaGal Newbie

Hello Alabama folks. Just wanted to say hi. As far as the Mobile area, I don't know much about that area down there unless it is the chain restaurants. I live in Prattville, which is a suburb of Montgomery. And, for Sredrobin, I went to see a Gastroenterologist in Birmingham a couple weeks ago that specializes in Celiac. I really liked him a lot, and I would be glad to give you his information. Just drop me a quick e-mail and I'll send it to you. (My e-mail address is in a previous post above) I have not found a lot of help from the doctors around Montgomery. You are so right, there are a lot more people buying gluten free stuff now. My local Publix tells me they get requests all the time for gluten free stuff. Stay in touch! I'll be glad to help anybody that I can!!!! Hopefully we can all stay informed on what our great state has to offer us!!!!! :P

• 1 month later...
ktnhsv Newbie

I'm not in the Mobile area............but I am in the Huntsville area. :) Just wanted to say howdy to the AL folks. :)

luvthelake21 Rookie

Just wanted to wish the other Alabama Celiac a Merry Christmas and a safe and healthy New Year.

Also Roll Tide..... (even though I am a Auburn fan)

• 2 weeks later...
BamaGal Newbie

Hello again! I haven't been on the board in a while, so I just saw your message. Hope you had a good Christmas too. And yes, I am an Auburn fan also, but I am pulling for Alabama in the National Championship game! ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!!! :)

Happy New Year from a Montgomery area Celiac!!!!!!

cranberi58 Newbie

Hello from Dauphin Island! I was happy to stumble across this posting because I'm looking for a doctor to go to about celiac in the Mobile area.

Here's the deal, I recently had my feet go numb and went to a neurologist. We ruled out a lot of things but eventually I went for an MRI and found a lesion on my spine and 3 on my brain. I've also had a spinal tap and basically my lesions are consistent with Multiple Sclerosis but I've only had one attack so I can't yet be firmly diagnosed with MS.

While I've been dealing with this I've been reading a lot about MS and I keep stumbling upon some ties between celiac and MS. Some MS sites have even suggested being tested for gluten intolerance because it can exacerbate MS and any such food intolerance should be dealt with.

Meanwhile, I also have a good family friend in holistic medicine and she also immediately suggested gluten problems. So, now I'm looking for a good doctor to go to for testing.

Until recently, I didn't think I had huge health issue but now I'm starting to realize that telling my boyfriend that my stomach hurts every day isn't normal!

After all the reading I've done, I'm starting to realize it may be hard to convince a doctor to order testing for celiac and that blood testing isn't the end all of gluten problems because it takes a pretty severe case to show up in the blood.

So, any suggestions for a doctor that might have some celiac experience would be very helpful! Thanks a bunch in advance.

• 4 months later...
Help4Husband-Celiac Newbie

My husband has been sick for about 20 years...15 of which have been in Mobile. We have had several doctors try to prescribe antidepressants because they think he is not sick, I guess. It is cruel and ignorant for them to treat him this way. We need help in finding a doctor who will respect his needs. He has yet to get tested for the Celiac Sprue, but I am almost positive he has it. Who is the doctor in Birmingham who specializes in Celiac? We are in a crisis right now and need help. My husband feels like he is dying. He is only 41 years old and we have 2 children. This has been very difficult on all of us because we don't get to enjoy family meals much together and I have so much stress dealing with what he can eat and what hurts him....nearly everything hurts him. I am afraid the damage to his body is irreversible. What about brain nutrients being "sucked" out? Is that why he feels the brain fogginess? Any advice is helpful and much appreciated.

BamaGal Newbie

So sorry to hear of your husband being sick. I suffered for many years before finally being diagnosed with celiac. My Doctor in Montgomery was very disappointing, to say the least. He pretty much just patted me on the back and sent me on my way. Anyway, I went to Birmingham to see Dr. Shallcross apx 6 years after original diagnosis. He goes to several hospitals up there andis great. Very understanding and very aware of celiac and all the problems it can cause. As a matter of fact, I need to make a follow-up appointment. Let me know if I can be of any assistance to you. I'll be glad to talk to you and help you any way I can. Send me a PM if you want my e-mail address.

Good luck!

• 4 months later...
ktnskip Newbie

Hi! How I appreciate your info on the restaurants. I love Outback and Carrabbas, but get tired of them. I must seek the Sunflower Cafe. I find Fresh Market and Virginia's Healthfood pretty much of a disappointment, but not too inconvenient, since I order most of my food. I stick mostly with plain whole foods cooked at home.

I, too, would be willing to help start a group. I don't know many people, am pretty much of a happy introvert.

CurtissAnn

Hi! My husband and I feel like we have a gluten intolerance, havent been diagnosed, but feel sure that a gluten-free diet would help us out. I got on Google to find places to meet people or places to buy specialty foods from, and found this post. Glad to meet you all. Hope you're still around. :)

Katie

• 1 year later...
graphicsman Newbie

Hi there...i moved to Mobile last year and would be interested in working with anyone that would like to get together and talk to local restsurants about providing a gluten-free menu. Feel free to email me at peteremond@yahoo.com

• 8 months later...
Patrice Kinsey Newbie

Hi there...i moved to Mobile last year and would be interested in working with anyone that would like to get together and talk to local restsurants about providing a gluten-free menu. Feel free to email me at peteremond@yahoo.com

I have celiac disease going on 9 yrs. I moved to Mobile,Al., four years ago. I would like to know if there is a support group for gluten intolerance. I discovered this site surfing the web. It"s a lonely disease to have to deal with by oneself. People don't understand what one goes through with this disease A support is needed.

Patrice Kinsey Newbie

CurtissAnn

8 years gluten-free.

I realize this is a old post. I moved to Mobile,Alabama four years ago. I like yourself are looking to meet other individuals with celiac disease. I was wondering have you come across any support groups. If so please let me know.

Potterluck Newbie

Hi, everybody. I'm 25 years old and live in Semmes, AL. You know, just outside Mobile. I just got diagnosed with Celiac Disease six weeks ago. My mother has also recently been diagnosed with it, and my brother's doctor suspects he has it as well. Between the three of us and the rest of my family, we run the gauntlet of symptoms and associated illnesses, from the usual abdominal pain, to Asperger's Syndrome and diabetes. The answer has been a light bulb and a God-send for all of us, though for a lifelong bread lover like me, adapting to a gluten free diet is...well, interesting to say the least. Actually for those of you in Mobile, there's a pretty good website, glutenfreemobile.com which gives a decent listing of different restaurants with gluten free menus and options. And Mellow Mushroom does a pretty good gluten free pizza too...not sure if they have the beer there, though...I'm not a big alcohol drinker. Actually I don't think I've had a drink since before I was old enough to do so legally!

Much love and welcome to the South!

Potterluck :)

Archived