This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Taco John's Potatoe Oles

minnowjoy

minnowjoy Rookie

It says on their website that the potatoe oles, nachoes and cheese are gluten-free. Has anyone tried them?? I am really craving them right now.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jonbo Apprentice

This warning screams don't even think about it...Potato Oles were awesome there though when I could have them.

When checking for allergens, it is important to note that all of our fried menu items are cooked using shared frying oil. For example, Potato Ol
  • 8 years later...
Slavencia Rookie

I see this is a really old post but we just got a Taco John's in my town. i recently got dianosed as gluten sensitive (sprue) from blood test and have eaten the potato ole's with cheese sauce and all their other dipping sauces several times and not felt bad in any way. but then so many people on here and other places say even if you don't feel bad from eating gluten/wheat you still may be damaging your inner system so do so at your own risk! (I do). But the super potato ole's say there is gluten in them on the Taco John website so I am trying to figure out what has gluten meat or beans? because the rest of the ingredients in that dish are listed separately as gluten free on the taco john's website. I really would like to try the Super potato ole but then again not if it does have direct gluten in it.

kareng Grand Master
10 minutes ago, Slavencia said:

I see this is a really old post but we just got a Taco John's in my town. i recently got dianosed as gluten sensitive (sprue) from blood test and have eaten the potato ole's with cheese sauce and all their other dipping sauces several times and not felt bad in any way. but then so many people on here and other places say even if you don't feel bad from eating gluten/wheat you still may be damaging your inner system so do so at your own risk! (I do). But the super potato ole's say there is gluten in them on the Taco John website so I am trying to figure out what has gluten meat or beans? because the rest of the ingredients in that dish are listed separately as gluten free on the taco john's website. I really would like to try the Super potato ole but then again not if it does have direct gluten in it.

You will never get better and heal if you keep eating like that!  If they say it has gluten, don't eat it.  Not really sure how safe any of the food there would be or how careful the workers are to keep gluten-free food separate from gluten food.  

Maybe you should try to eat safe food you make at home for a couple of months.  Give yourself a chance to heal.

And Celiac sprue is not just "gluten sensitive".  To me, "gluten sensitive" make it sound like its not a serious illness and you just have to be a little bit careful to avoid gluten.

Slavencia Rookie

Thanks for the response. I really don't understand my diagnosis completely and feel that it may be incomplete without a biopsy from a gastroenterologist. But hey that is expensive plus all that preparation for the test. Oh my! Just putting it off since not eating gluten makes me feel better. I eat out a lot. At home its rice cakes with cream cheese and meat on top or gluten free chips and dip. Just not much of a cooker. The poor loaf of gluten free bread I bought a few months ago just sits there with a crazy far out expiration date and I look at it sadly as I walk by thinking it could taste really gross. But these days mostly the Power Bowl at taco bell..chicken and steak since I've given up McDonalds fries and burgers (except for a bunless quarter pounder...but so small looking that way and no fries...just not the same). Now the subway gluten free bread is or was delicious the last time I had it. Even thawed in a microwave tasted potatey (if that's a word). And the low carb breakfast bowl at Hardee's is actually good but again not very filling but Hardee's has the best sausage in the fast food world I believe!

kareng Grand Master
7 hours ago, Slavencia said:

Thanks for the response. I really don't understand my diagnosis completely and feel that it may be incomplete without a biopsy from a gastroenterologist. But hey that is expensive plus all that preparation for the test. Oh my! Just putting it off since not eating gluten makes me feel better. I eat out a lot. At home its rice cakes with cream cheese and meat on top or gluten free chips and dip. Just not much of a cooker. The poor loaf of gluten free bread I bought a few months ago just sits there with a crazy far out expiration date and I look at it sadly as I walk by thinking it could taste really gross. But these days mostly the Power Bowl at taco bell..chicken and steak since I've given up McDonalds fries and burgers (except for a bunless quarter pounder...but so small looking that way and no fries...just not the same). Now the subway gluten free bread is or was delicious the last time I had it. Even thawed in a microwave tasted potatey (if that's a word). And the low carb breakfast bowl at Hardee's is actually good but again not very filling but Hardee's has the best sausage in the fast food world I believe!

Even if you didn’t have Celiac, that is a horrible way to eat.  You don’t have to do much cooking to eat a lot better than that.  Just because something does  not have gluten ingredients does not mean that a place like Hardee’s  is safe for a Celiac!  The risk of CC is huge!  

It sounds like you should stop your reduced gluten diet and eat a full gluten diet so that you can get a biopsy.  Because you don’t believe you have Celiac without it and you will continue to hurt yourself.  

Archived