This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Overall Sick Feeling After Eating

BethanyGraves

BethanyGraves Newbie

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this website/forum, so bear with me if I am just rehashing old news...

I was diagnosed with celiac 5 months ago and went gluten free immediately. I noticed a drastic reduction in my symptoms within about 2 and 1/2 months (yay), but now I have new symptoms (boo). I am losing weight (whereas, on gluten I was gaining weight due to constant cravings for food since I wasn't absorbing nutirients) and I am always sick after eating. It doesn't happen right away and I know I'm not eating any gluten at all, so don't bother asking that. Some examples of meals I have had recently are:

Grilled chicken and veges (made at home in a gluten free kitchen)

Salad (greens, cucumber, tomatoes, homemade vinaigrette)

Mashed potatoes and asparagus (made at home)

I really have a hard time working after lunch because I feel tired and nauseas and just want to lay down and go to sleep. What is wrong with me?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nu-to-no-glu Apprentice
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this website/forum, so bear with me if I am just rehashing old news...

I was diagnosed with celiac 5 months ago and went gluten free immediately. I noticed a drastic reduction in my symptoms within about 2 and 1/2 months (yay), but now I have new symptoms (boo). I am losing weight (whereas, on gluten I was gaining weight due to constant cravings for food since I wasn't absorbing nutirients) and I am always sick after eating. It doesn't happen right away and I know I'm not eating any gluten at all, so don't bother asking that. Some examples of meals I have had recently are:

I really have a hard time working after lunch because I feel tired and nauseas and just want to lay down and go to sleep. What is wrong with me?

I'm really new to all of this, but am just offering up some information you may not have heard. I just recently learned about a condition called fructose malabsorption. You probably have to google it as it seems a little complicated. I noticed in my findings that some people with celiac also have this condition. I see you have eaten tomoates, salad dressing, cucumbers? (not sure of the fructose content)...anyway, not saying you have this as you are probably just still sick from celiac, but wanted to pass on my knowledge as I wish others would for me! (oh, and it's a simple hydrogen breathe test to diagnose it).

The Fluffy Assassin Enthusiast
Hi everyone,

I can echo nu_to_no_glu, as I'm the guy who won't shut up about fructose malabsorption (and I hope I'm right that they give hydrogen breath tests for it in this country, nu_to_no_glu; my internet research has been unclear on that) but you may also want to be checked for food allergies, hypoglycemia or diabetes. The internet is awash with possible explanations for why people get suddenly tired after eating; unfortunately, none of them are very definitive. Good advice is probably to make sure you get fats, protein and carbohydrates at every meal. I'm unclear whether the three things you list above are separate meals or components of one meal. If the former, you might want to amp up the protein and fats; beans and nuts are good for this. I'm still trying to get the balance right myself, seeming to give myself hypoglycemia at least once a week. Good luck, and I hope you find your answer soon.

MDRB Explorer

Unfortunately there are a lot of things that can make you sick after you eat. Not being fully healed since going gluten free is a pretty common cause, you could also look at eliminating dairy and getting tested for parasites. I had to eliminate everything in my signature before I stopped feeling sick after every meal. Good luck.

redsidekick Apprentice

I don't know what is wrong with you, but I can tell you I share a similar experience. I was very sick in January, was diagnosed in mid-February, and when gluten free immediately. Symptoms that initially sent me to the doctor cleared up (weight loss, everything I ate going right through me), but new symptoms kept popping up (stomach gurgling, pain in my stomach after eating). I've had an endoscopy, colonoscopy, and upper GI series.

At this point I still get the last two things but less frequently. When they occur I have to keep reminding myself how bad things were several months earlier. I think it must be part of the healing process since things are getting progressively better.

I hope things are getting better for you over time. And thanks for writing your experience. So often I read, went on diet, things got better. It was encouraging to me to see I was not alone. So thanks again, I hope we can get both get through it.

• 1 month later...
Kathleen Smith Contributor
Hi everyone,

\\\

I just read your post. I am experiening the same thing. EVERYDAY, no matter what I eat (salad, dinner leftovers, snack -all gluten free) I get really, really neausous (and tired) and have a hard time at work. It lasts into the eventing. Eating dinner doesnt appear to make it worse.

You posted this in August, had you had any relief yet? Good luck.

• 3 years later...
swimmer2012 Newbie

Hi everyone,

I have a similar issue... But I think it's related to the water I used to drink in my tea (that I made at work). I never have this problem at home and I eat the same meals as I do at home except that I wash my dishes at the office that I re-use every lunch hour. Could it be the water at work?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

I have a similar issue... But I think it's related to the water I used to drink in my tea (that I made at work). I never have this problem at home and I eat the same meals as I do at home except that I wash my dishes at the office that I re-use every lunch hour. Could it be the water at work?

Hmm..can you try using paper plates or avoid using the water at work to see if it makes a difference?

A lot of us need digestive enzymes at first, along with probiotics. These help digest your food so your system doesn't have to struggle so hard to break it down so you get the nutrients.

Another thing to keep an eye on..dairy, soy, and corn. Many of us don't tolerate them at first. You may be able to add them back later.

IMO it's best to omit GMO foods, and organic is a bit safer on a sressed system if you can get it.

GMO foods are soy, corn, canola, cottonseed, sugar beets, papaya, and zucchini or yellow squash.

mommida Enthusiast

You are all very new to the gluten free diet. Some individuals really come to a point of health at 2 years after starting the gluten free diet. ( you definately should feel better, but all the tests for liver enzymes and such that have wanky results before going gluten free start coming back normal.)

~ Your gut has to heal from damage. You may not be ready to digest all foods. The tips of the villi are used to digest dairy, so you might need to be Casein free (casein is the protein chain of dairy) until you have healed your gut.

~ Gallbladder issues. There is a connection between undiagnosed Celiacs having the gallbladder not function. The gallbladder may start working again when you have healed, or it might not. It can cause extreme queeziness and vomitting. (burping and belching) If you are in the age bracket for most attacks, you will probably have it removed.

~Keep a food journal. It will help your track down another food intolerance, and even help find cross cantamination ( I figured out a had a bottle of vanilla that was making me sick, and that is only about a teaspoon per recipe *vanilla is usually gluten free this bottle was cross contaminated)

~ Look again at your personal hygeine products. Better safe than sorry. (I was feeling a bit ill for about 2 weeks and then I stopped using Ban deodorant Sweet Surrender scent that had barley in it. No other changes and I was feeling better. So even if it is something you have no intetions of eating these products it is better to get rid of them. check your pets food too!

Pegleg84 Collaborator

Hi Bethany

Welcome to the forum!

You're still early days yet, your gut is still healing and readjusting to its new conditions. I think a lot of us went through a bit of that.

Digestive enzymes and probiotics are definitely a good idea. They can help with digestion until your gut is back in shape.

Try cutting out dairy, as suggested. It's not a bad idea to give it a shot.

Definitely check out your personal care stuff. Everything from makeup to shampoo. If it goes on your face or hands at some point, better safe than sorry. It might be an expensive transition, but it's worth it.

If in another few months (usually 6 months after starting gluten-free is good) you're still feeling the same symptoms, then start looking at other foods (dairy/soy/corn/nightshades) or other conditions.

We all hope that the gluten-free diet will make us feel better immediately, and it sure helps, but it's a long road to recovery (and don't want to scare you, but even years later other problems can pop up) but hang in there.

Sounds like you're being very careful and should be ok.

Happy Healing

Peg

Archived