This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

High T4 Normal Tsh? Also High Mch.

nu-to-no-glu

nu-to-no-glu Apprentice

Hi, all! After google-ing for an hour, I thought I'd just come ask the experts over here. I received copies of my blood work today and the only significant things were a very high T4 reading, but my TSH was in the normal range (closer to the low side, but still within range). I really don't know much about this, so I thought some of you could enlighten me as to whether I need to worry, experiences, etc. I am seeing a new dr next Thursday and want to have all of my ?s ready since my last doc blew me off and told me I had IBS and needed to just deal. Also, my MCH level was high, which I have no idea what the heck that means. Everything else seemed within normal range, as far as I can tell. Maybe borderline numbers can be precursers or warnings? I don't know. Any conversation regarding this is much appreciated, since I am so in the dark with this stuff!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

maile Newbie
Hi, all! After google-ing for an hour, I thought I'd just come ask the experts over here. I received copies of my blood work today and the only significant things were a very high T4 reading, but my TSH was in the normal range (closer to the low side, but still within range). I really don't know much about this, so I thought some of you could enlighten me as to whether I need to worry, experiences, etc. I am seeing a new dr next Thursday and want to have all of my ?s ready since my last doc blew me off and told me I had IBS and needed to just deal. Also, my MCH level was high, which I have no idea what the heck that means. Everything else seemed within normal range, as far as I can tell. Maybe borderline numbers can be precursers or warnings? I don't know. Any conversation regarding this is much appreciated, since I am so in the dark with this stuff!

have you checked out this site? http://www.drrind.com/therapies/thyroid-scale

not affiliated with the site but have found it useful for trying to understand results of thyroid tests!

nu-to-no-glu Apprentice
have you checked out this site? http://www.drrind.com/therapies/thyroid-scale

not affiliated with the site but have found it useful for trying to understand results of thyroid tests!

Thanks for the link, for some reason it won't work on my blackberry or computer? Could you post it again? Thanks!

maile Newbie

try this link Open Original Shared Link

and click on "interpreting results"

nora-n Rookie

Was it total T4, or free t4?

Total T4 is dependent on the TBG, thyroid-binding globulins and in females it is often high due to estrogen infuence, and that is normal.

The only good t4 tests are free t4 tests (and the only good ones are dialysis free t4 tests but normally the ordinary antibody based ft4 tests are okay)

Another thing is, if one has had a cold or any illness, the ft4, ft3 and TSH go down, a phenomenon called NTI, Non-thyroid illness. Afterwards, all those numbers bounce back up, and the t4 can temporarily go high. after about six weeks the numbers should have stabilized.

The MCH I think is part of a series of tests that test for the size, colour and volume of red blood cells. for example, large pale blood cells may mean low b-12, and small pale red blood cells mean you have lost blood. Search the web for MCH MCV (if it is what I think)

nora

Archived