This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

"gluten Free" Items That "got You"

NorthernElf

mcclane11 Newbie

It may help people to broaden their thinking in regards to stomach disturbances as glutened vs. non-glutened. There are countless things that cause runs to the bathroom, and to always assume it's a case of hidden, previously undetected gluten can be problematic. For instance, I am allergic to gluten, but every since I developed the intolerance, I've also gotten a very sensitive stomach. Spicy foods, dairy, fatty meats, raw vegetables, vegetable skin, seeds, nuts -- all these things are documented as difficult on the digestion. When I broadened my spectrum of foods to look out for, I felt better quickly, and I was able to re-introduce many foods I had discarded as secretly glutened. Just as an example - I used to think Lara Bars were glutening me, even though they're clearly labeled gluten-free. Then I realized they're almost 100% dates, which is an insoluble fiber, and can be pretty tough on a sensitive stomach. The problem really had nothing to do with gluten at all. Now I know Lara Bars are fine, as long as I only eat a bit, and not on an empty stomach.

Just my .02.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ravenwoodglass Mentor

It may help people to broaden their thinking in regards to stomach disturbances as glutened vs. non-glutened. There are countless things that cause runs to the bathroom, and to always assume it's a case of hidden, previously undetected gluten can be problematic. For instance, I am allergic to gluten, but every since I developed the intolerance, I've also gotten a very sensitive stomach. Spicy foods, dairy, fatty meats, raw vegetables, vegetable skin, seeds, nuts -- all these things are documented as difficult on the digestion. When I broadened my spectrum of foods to look out for, I felt better quickly, and I was able to re-introduce many foods I had discarded as secretly glutened. Just as an example - I used to think Lara Bars were glutening me, even though they're clearly labeled gluten-free. Then I realized they're almost 100% dates, which is an insoluble fiber, and can be pretty tough on a sensitive stomach. The problem really had nothing to do with gluten at all. Now I know Lara Bars are fine, as long as I only eat a bit, and not on an empty stomach.

Just my .02.

This is a very valid point for those who are newly diagnosed. I thought I had issues with some gluten free products in the beginning and it took a while to find out I am also sensitive to soy. It can also take a while to realize what a glutening feels like. Many of us, myself included, have a definate progression of symptoms from gluten that we don't get from other things we have problems with or from a tummy bug. That enables me to know for sure I have been glutened or gotten CC'd. I have learned over time some companies that don't disclose CC risk are like playing roulette. We can eat an item 5 times and be fine and then number 6 will knock us down flat. I much prefer the companies that make the risk plain by the 'made in a facility' warning. At least then it is my choice whether to take the risk. Like I did last week with some gumdrops. I have had them before and knew the risk since they have gotten me before but that bag beckoned and I played the game. With that bag I payed the price.

lynnelise Apprentice

The sickest I've gotten was from a McDonald's Mocha frappe. I don't know for sure it was gluten. It could've been too much dairy I guess. All I know was I was sick for almost a week and I'll never drink one again.

DownWithGluten Explorer

This is a very valid point for those who are newly diagnosed. I thought I had issues with some gluten free products in the beginning and it took a while to find out I am also sensitive to soy. It can also take a while to realize what a glutening feels like. Many of us, myself included, have a definate progression of symptoms from gluten that we don't get from other things we have problems with or from a tummy bug. That enables me to know for sure I have been glutened or gotten CC'd. I have learned over time some companies that don't disclose CC risk are like playing roulette. We can eat an item 5 times and be fine and then number 6 will knock us down flat. I much prefer the companies that make the risk plain by the 'made in a facility' warning. At least then it is my choice whether to take the risk. Like I did last week with some gumdrops. I have had them before and knew the risk since they have gotten me before but that bag beckoned and I played the game. With that bag I payed the price.

Agreed. I have a VERY specific reaction to gluten, that I refer to as my 'gluten attack' which I had abhor and is the reason I go through all this dieting crap to avoid. After it happened so many times in college, I was able to predict the progession down to a 't'. Okay...first this is going to happen for a while, depending on how fast this can happen, it last longer or not, okay here comes the worst part and all that goes with it...okay now I'm good for about three hours, then there'll be one last little bout... then I'm going to feel exhausted the rest of the day...overall span of about 5-7 hours...

I've had several upset stomachs and heartburn issue etc. since going gluten free, but have not attributed it to gluten because it's not that signature 'attack.' In three years I've only had two signature attacks. Like I said...one from movie theater popcorn that I did not check on in advance, second was from a cafe that claims to be gluten free (so I'm not sure what happened). But I've eaten Amy's, Lara bars, lays chips, classico sauce,utz potato chips (the ones labeled gluten free), kettle chips, fritos, etc etc and never gotten glutened. Who knows? Or maybe I'm less sensitive?

passionfruit877 Apprentice

Amy's Teryaki Rice Bowl. I got stomach cramps for 3 hours.

RiceGuy Collaborator

I was recently getting glutened by something, which turned out to be the brown rice syrup from NOW Foods. It's labeled gluten-free, but I've read that some are actually made with barley enzymes. Apparently, the one from Lundberg is not made with barley enzymes, and oddly enough, I almost purchased that one until I saw the NOW Foods one was cheaper <_< The label does say "special enzymes", but doesn't mention the source. Why do I feel they intentionally withheld that information?

I'm going to email the company just to see what they say, but I don't expect much.

• 4 weeks later...
jackay Enthusiast

Either I got accidentally glutened yesterday or I reacted to chia seeds, which I tried for the first time. The label says they are gluten free and I believe they are. I checked them online and there is only this one product. I have emailed the company for the second time (once before trying them) and haven't heard back.

I may challenge them in a couple weeks and see if this happens again. I hope it isn't the seeds that bother me because I want the Omega 3 fatty acids they provide. I can't take fish or flax oil because of intolerances.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I did react to Kinnickinnick's delicious donuts, but just about everything processed gets me. I think someone on an earlier page in this link mentioned reacting to their products too.

daniknik Apprentice

just the honey nut and chocolate chex, as I recall. but I am *not* an uber sensitive one.

I reacted poorly to the Honey Nut Chex too!!! And this is even with the "Gluten Free" label on the front of the box. I'm glad I'm not the only one...although it sucks that we all had to feel glutened from this product!

gfcfsf Rookie

Kallo, Dove's Farm, Real Foods, Kettle Chips, Barkat all state gluten free and vegan in some cases but all have cross contamination issues with either gluten/wheat, casein or soy.

lovegrov Collaborator

I did react to Kinnickinnick's delicious donuts, but just about everything processed gets me. I think someone on an earlier page in this link mentioned reacting to their products too.

Their stuff is about the safest processed thing you can eat in the world. They certify all their suppliers and don;t even allow their employees to bring food with gluten into the plant. Whatever was bothering you, it wasn't gluten from the donuts.

richard

Roda Rising Star

Sesmark rice thins. According to their website they don't claim they are gluten free, just that they are made of non gluten ingredients and no gluten is added(found this out after the fact). The package I bought said "gluten free" right on it and I had a reaction to them within 30 minutes. The hearburn started first, but I thought it might be the sesame. When I got constipated for five days, it was then I knew for shure they got me.

Open Original Shared Link

nutrifoodie Apprentice

I just switched from unithroid to synhroid 25 mcg. I haven't been feeling that well lately, and it didn't even cross my mind it could be from that. I know armour is gluten free...but that is pretty hard to get a script for, and I hear it's on backorder. I would love to know what you come up with :)

Yeah, I have had a hard time getting armour too. My doctor and I use a compounding pharmacy now - they make the pills especially for me, so nice! I get the slow release tablets, so I only take one in the morning. This has been SOOO nice because I don't have to worry about when I am having late lunch (because you can't take it around food).

nutrifoodie Apprentice

Well, since I've only been gluten free for five months now I haven't tried a lot of gluten free products, but here goes...

Hemp Milk -Pacific Foods

Almond Dream - after three days of drinking this, I noticed it right away. The Pacific Hemp Milk took a little longer. I was having such a mild reaction to it, but when I stopped drinking it I felt better.

Synthriod - I got a new prescription filled & started to feel very sick. After two weeks of taking it I was losing more weight, couldn't eat & had many other symptoms. I realized it was the medicine. A month after stopping it, I gained all of my ten pounds that I lost back! I wonder if the synthriod was bothering me the whole time I was gluten free. :o My doctors changed me to Levoxly & I'm not 100 % yet, but I'm doing So much better.

Rice Chex Strawberry & Cinnamon

So Delicious Kieffer Coconut Milk

I have to say I do love Glutino! When I eat anything processed I stick with products that aren't made on shared lines. I just don't trust them & it's not worth getting sick over!

So Delicious Kefir Coconut Milk?

Oh no... I've been eating it and it's in my fridge..... what flavor did you get? I have the plain.. I don't think it was affecting me? Oh boy.

texascheryl Newbie

Here are mine:

Bonefish Grill - Caesar Salad - chef in error tossed my salad in same bowl as other salads containing croutons. He didn't catch the error till after I'd eaten it. The manager came out and told me what happened before we left. We hoped for the best but I woke up super sick...on a roadtrip, while out of town, for a funeral. It was miserable.

Lay's chips...any of them that are supposedly ok, are not ok for me.

Chik-Fil-A - Waffle fries. They advertise as cooked in a dedicated fryer but I did get glutened. I keep a food log so it was definitely this issue, plus my symptoms start within hours. :(

Publix blue corn tortilla chips

Vitamins - all gluten-free vitamins bother me

Kinnikinnick cookies

Bare Essentuals 100% Natural Lipstick (this one was a real humdinger!)

Dove soap

It's hit or miss with me, I have to be very careful.

Just FYI, the Bare Escentuals natural lipstick is not gluten-free. One of the ingredients is derived from barley. Bare Escentuals has a list of products on their website that should be safe and the lipsticks are not on it. If you click on "customer service" at the very bottom of their homepage and then click on FAQ's at the upper right-hand area of the page that comes up, you can access the list. Scroll down because it's the very last question in the FAQ's.

I use a ton of their products and have had to give up the lipsticks as well as the natural lipglosses because they are not gluten-free. Their Buxom lipglosses are on the safe list though.

Lynayah Enthusiast

Great post.

EmilyR83 Rookie

just about everything Great Value marks gluten free. It took me a while to realize that there was a marking on the back that says may contain traces of wheat.

luvs2eat Collaborator

My daughter had to give up Trader Joe's gluten free mac and cheese (like Kraft's blue box). It took her a while, but she finally realized it was this that was making her sick!

Mskedi Newbie

I think I listed Honey Nut Chex earlier on this list. I decided during my last grocery trip that I'd try it again to see if it was the Chex or something else, and I've had it four breakfasts in a row without a reaction. When I did react, it was pretty early on in my diet, so maybe I had actually messed up in another area or I was so far from healed I was sensitive to extra things.

The GOOD thing is that I can eat it again. :) I may try cinnamon Chex again at a later date, but my reaction to that was so violent and immediate, I'm much more afraid.

Lynayah Enthusiast

There is an excellent article on labeling, and getting glutened, in this month's issue of LIVING WITHOUT. Open Original Shared Link

newgfcali Rookie

There is an excellent article on labeling, and getting glutened, in this month's issue of LIVING WITHOUT. Open Original Shared Link

Thanks for this link, Lynayah. I didn't know there were certification organizations who inspect gluten-free foods and determine their true gluten "freeness". I googled the GFCO and found their website where you can look up products that are certified by them to be gluten-free. You can search by company name, like "Enjoy Life", or you can search by product type, like "Cookies, Cakes and Snack Bars" (the products I always look for!)

Lynayah Enthusiast

Thanks for this link, Lynayah. I didn't know there were certification organizations who inspect gluten-free foods and determine their true gluten "freeness". I googled the GFCO and found their website where you can look up products that are certified by them to be gluten-free. You can search by company name, like "Enjoy Life", or you can search by product type, like "Cookies, Cakes and Snack Bars" (the products I always look for!)

Thanks for the thanks! I've been bopping around there and ended up ordering some gluten-free spices from Spicely.com at amazing prices -- like, $8 to $15 on average for A POUND of gluten free, organic spice! Wow - even with the hefty $15 shipping charge, it's a great bargain.

It looks as though they charge the same shipping price no matter how much you order -- better to order a lot or combine orders with friends -- nice that you can buy in bulk.

I'm going to take this to the next GIG meeting to see of others might be willing to go in with me to order in bulk.

Having fun, here!

• 4 weeks later...
bittykitty Rookie

Kallo, Dove's Farm, Real Foods, Kettle Chips, Barkat all state gluten free and vegan in some cases but all have cross contamination issues with either gluten/wheat, casein or soy.

Mother's rice cakes,Rice Chex,Pamela's cookies.Won't even discuss eating out..too many problems to mention at too many places.

MRM Apprentice

this thread scares me because i have many of the items listed here in my home.

Yes! I was glutened by Arrowhead Mills millet flour.

the corn meal got me bad.

GFLindsey Explorer

Im pretty new to the gluten-free diet, but when tracing through my food journal I think I may have issues with Pamela's Lemon Shortbread cookies and Rice Chex (all flavors). I consistently mark down periods of bloating and nausea about 2 hours after eating these products.

Archived