This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Non -food/non edible companies statements

filititi

filititi Apprentice

This is a copy of the e-mail sent to me from the makers of Suave products:

Hi,

Thanks for writing!

We do not specifically test our products for the presence of gluten, a sticky protein found in some grains such as wheat. Gluten may be present in products that contain derivatives of wheat, oat, rye, and barley. In labeling our products, our company follows the guidelines established by the International Nomenclature for Cosmetics Ingredients (INCI)process. Therefore, if we use an ingredient derived from a grain such as wheat, oat, rye and / or barley, those names will appear on the label.

Example

One common example is "Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein" If you see this name on the label, the material was derived from wheat, so the product may contain gluten.

We recommend that you consult with your physician as to whether your exposure to grain derivatives from the use of personal care products will cause the symptoms of Celiac-Sprue Disease.

We hope this information is helpful,

Your friends at Suave

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

filititi Apprentice

We appreciate your interest in our products.

We cannot guarantee that any of our products are gluten free. Gluten comes from plant sources. We purchase ingredients from various vendors. Our vendors can change the origin for each ingredient at any time and without our knowledge.

Cordially,

Sharon

filititi Apprentice

I find it sad that so many companies are not willing to find out more about their products and hide behind the "We purchase ingredients from various vendors" line. At least, we can know.

I like how Suave lists the potential allergens next to the ingredient that may contain gluten...at least a few companies try to help.

filititi Apprentice

Thank you for contacting us.

Aussie obtains its ingredients from different suppliers therefore, we

cannot guarantee that their raw material are free of wheat products.

Since we are unable to guarantee that there's no wheat in our products.

We would advise a consumer that is allergic to wheat unfortunately, not

to use our products.

If you have any additional questions please call 1-800-947-2656, Monday

through Friday between 8:30 AM and 8:30 PM or Saturday between 9:00 AM

and 6:00 PM, Eastern Time.

Thank you again for contacting us.

The Consumer Affairs Team

filititi Apprentice

Our company purchases raw ingredients from different distributors.

Because of this we can not rule out the presence of gluten/wheat in our

products. We apologize that we could be more assistance at this time.

If you have any further questions please call 1-800-382-7833, Monday

through Friday between 8:30 AM and 8:30 PM or Saturday between 9:00 AM

and 6:00 PM, Eastern Time.

filititi Apprentice

They sent an additional e-mail stating:

"In addition, we would like to assure you that most of the ingredients in our products are derived from palm oils or are synthetically derived."

Does that mean they're okay? Or does that mean anything at all?

healthy1 Newbie

I was using the aussie products up until recently when I read a post about hair products and sure enough, the conditioner and the 3 minute miracle both had wheat protein in them, so I just threw them out. I wouldn't trust their other products to be safe, even though I did like them. I guess this is just another piece to the puzzle!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

filititi Apprentice

We know Celiac is a serious disease, so we want to give you clear information regarding the use of our beauty care products. If wheat and/or gluten aren't directly added to a product by us, these ingredients won't be listed on our packages. Like many companies, we often purchase the scents for fragranced products from outside suppliers, and the components of these substances are proprietary information belonging to those companies. Therefore it's possible that a very small amount (generally parts per million) of gluten may be present.

We sought advice from physicians; they told us it would be very unlikely a person with Celiac disease would have a reaction from a trace amount of gluten coming into contact with his skin or hair. This is because wheat, rye, barley and/or gluten generally cause symptoms when they're ingested. Since our beauty care products are designed to be used externally on the skin, their use shouldn't be an issue for someone with this disease.

Since gluten sensitivity can vary among people, it would be best if you consulted with your physician about the use of all types of consumable goods, if you haven't already. You might even consider using one of our fragrance free products that doesn't list gluten or wheat extracts on the label.

• 1 month later...
filititi Apprentice

Clairol purchases their materials from different distributors and

because of this we can not rule out the presence of gluten in our

products. We apologize that we could not be of more assistance at this

time.

If you have any further questions please call our toll-free number to

speak with a Consultant at 1-800-CLAIROL. Monday through Friday from

8:30 AM to 8:30 PM Saturday 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM, Eastern Time.

filititi Apprentice

Hi, Brandy.

Thanks for your interest in Secret. If wheat and/or wheat extract is directly added to the formula, it will be listed in the Ingredient Statement, on the label. If it is not listed on the Ingredient Statement, then no gluten is directly added to the product. If wheat or a wheat extract is added to the perfume it will not be listed separately on the label, but potentially present at a very low level. Since Beauty Care products are used on the hair and skin, it would be very unlikely that a person with Celiac disease would have a reaction from trace amounts of gluten.

Hope this helps.

Kristi

Secret Team

filititi Apprentice

This was my response:

We greatly appreciate your help, but we feel it's necessary to inform you that many individuals who have Celiac disease also have dermatologic reactions to topical products that contain wheat. This usually presents in rashy, itchy, uncomfortable skin...and is very common in those individuals with Celiac disease.

Thank you,

Brandy

filititi Apprentice

Hi, Brandy.

We appreciate your interest in Bounty. I'm happy to inform you that there is no gluten in any of our Bounty products.

Thanks for writing and stop by again!

Kristi

Bounty Team

filititi Apprentice

Hi, Brandy.

We appreciate your interest in Charmin. I'm happy to let you know there is no gluten in any of our Charmin products.

Hope this helps. Thanks for contacting us!

Jill

Charmin Team

** I figured this one would be safe, but you never really know...and wouldn't that be a horrible one to have be wheat infested?! :rolleyes:

filititi Apprentice

Dear Ms. O' Brien:

Thank you for contacting us regarding Church & Dwight Co., Inc. products

as they pertain to your gluten intolerance.

We certify that ARM & HAMMER

filititi Apprentice

Thanks for contacting Tide, Brandy.

Glad you asked! Tide products do not contain gluten. However, I'm not able to provide you a list of products that do or do not contain gluten. We manufacture over 300 products and ingredients may change from time to time. The best way to determine if a product contains gluten is to check the label. If ingredients aren't listed, then either call or email with the specific product. We'll be happy to check it out for you.

Thanks for visiting.

Christina

Tide Team

** I've e-mailed a response asking for a product list, and I'll get in touch with them asking about each and every product. I'll let you know what I find out.

Brandy

filititi Apprentice

Hi Brandy,

I answered a message from you earlier. I just wanted to reiterate, none of Procter & Gamble's cleaning products contain gluten. That would include: Bounce, Swiffer, Mr. Clean, Ivory Dishwashing Liquid, Ivory Snow laundry detergent, Dryel, Dreft, etc... I'm not going to answer each of your messages individually since this covers most of them.

Hope this helps.

Mary Lou

P&G Team

filititi Apprentice

Thanks for contacting us about several of our products, Brandy.

We know Celiac is a serious disease, so we want to give you clear information regarding the use of our beauty care products. If wheat and/or gluten aren't directly added to a product by us, these ingredients won't be listed on our packages. Like many companies, we often purchase the scents for fragranced products from outside suppliers, and the components of these substances are proprietary information belonging to those companies. Therefore it's possible that a very small amount (generally parts per million) of gluten may be present.

We sought advice from physicians; they told us it would be very unlikely a person with Celiac disease would have a reaction from a trace amount of gluten coming into contact with his skin or hair. This is because wheat, rye, barley and/or gluten generally cause symptoms when they're ingested. Since our beauty care products are designed to be used externally on the skin, their use shouldn't be an issue for someone with this disease.

Since gluten sensitivity can vary among people, it would be best if you consulted with your physician about the use of all types of consumable goods, if you haven't already. You might even consider using one of our fragrance free products that doesn't list gluten or wheat extracts on the label.

Thanks for getting in touch with us. I hope this response has been helpful to you. For more information about Celiac, you may want to check out Open Original Shared Link and Open Original Shared Link

Hope this helps.

Karen

Beauty Care Team

filititi Apprentice

Hi Brandy.

You'll be glad to know that ThermaCare heat wraps do not contain gluten. The ingredients in the heat cells are charcoal, iron powder, sodium chloride (salt), sodium thiosulfate and water.

Hope this helps.

Gary

ThermaCare Team

filititi Apprentice

Thanks for writing, Brandy.

While I don't have a list to send you, I can tell you that there is no gluten in any Vicks product!

Hope this helps.

Amy

Vicks Team

filititi Apprentice

Dear Mrs. O'Brien:

Thank you for contacting the Johnson & Johnson Consumer Companies Information Center. It is always important to hear from our consumers, and we appreciate the time you have taken to contact us.

All of our BAND-AID

filititi Apprentice

Hello Ms. O'brien,

Thank you for contacting us as to whether or not our products have gluten

derived ingredients. We understand how important this information is for

you.

At Beiersdorf, we strive to offer our consumers the best products

possible, and therefore we may reformulate them when improvement is

possible. The information we give you today regarding our ingredients may

not be true if we reformulate a product next year. We do not maintain a

list of gluten free products as change control is not possible.

If you have concerns about Gluten and its derivatives, we can recommend

that you avoid all products with ingredients derived from wheat, rye,

barley and oats. The ingredient names are:

TRITICUM VULGARE

SECALE CEREALE

HORDEUM VULGARE

AVENA SATIVA

Although our products may not contain the above ingredients, it is always

possible that one of our raw materials may contain traces of gluten

because its presence is not excluded by our raw material specifications.

Please call us at 1-800-227-4703 if you have any other questions or

comments. Our phone lines are open Monday to Friday, 9:30 am to 4:30 pm

EST.

We appreciate your taking the time to contact us.

Cordially,

Sam

Consumer Relations

Beiersdorf Inc.

Archived