This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Chico Ca,

Mey Marie

Mey Marie Explorer

Hi,

I can't find a group in my area, (Chico, Ca). If anyone knows of one or would like to start one, I would really like to find some one who can meat up and learn together. My husband is having a hard time being supportive because He has never encountered Celiac until I was diagnosed. I would love to send him to a group for spouses. haha

I feel that this big change in my life would be much easier with a friend or 10. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

snychicolvr6 Newbie

Hi Mey Marie,

I too am in Chico and can not find a group. I am open to starting a group with you. I know a few people who also suffer from the Gluten intollerance / allergy. Please email me @ pokky_6@hotmail.com and we can connect up locally.

Have a great day,

JW

Hi,

I can't find a group in my area, (Chico, Ca). If anyone knows of one or would like to start one, I would really like to find some one who can meat up and learn together. My husband is having a hard time being supportive because He has never encountered Celiac until I was diagnosed. I would love to send him to a group for spouses. haha

I feel that this big change in my life would be much easier with a friend or 10. :D

Mey Marie Explorer
Hi Mey Marie,

I too am in Chico and can not find a group. I am open to starting a group with you. I know a few people who also suffer from the Gluten intollerance / allergy. Please email me @ pokky_6@hotmail.com and we can connect up locally.

Have a great day,

JW

Thank you JW. I am so happy to know that there are people near me who I can talk to. I will email you!

• 7 months later...
jbay21182 Newbie

I live in Chico California, and am waiting for my blood test and biopsy. I went on a gluten free diet for 2 weeks, and felt amazing. Like I have never felt before. I have been constantly sick for over 5 years. I can't belive I just heard of this disease only a month ago! After going to doctor to doctor. They would just give me some "Try Me" free-be pills after talking to me for only 3 to 4 min. Even my nurse practitioner said, well paraphrase any was "Oh did I check for Celiac Disease on that blood test you took 2 months ago? Oh I don't know.. Oh yes I did, I did. But hmmmm. let me check. Yea I did but they didn't check for it." Eather he was lying because he forgot, or he just wanted to make some monatery gain. Well If I do have it, which I'm 110% positive, I would love to be in a celiac disease support group. If I don't have it, I guess I look like a dummy, and have to keep trying to figure out what I have. : )

Sincerely,

Jason

• 1 month later...
SueQueBlue Newbie

I am newly diagnosed and live in Willows-just west of Chico about 40 miles. I was diagnosed in July. I also went through the whole cycle of seeing a local GI who never tested for celiac, but did do an upper endoscopy that was negative (I think he only took 2 biopsy samples). My primary care knew I was getting sicker, and tested for celiac as well, but never came up positive. So everyone went with the irritable bowel dx, made worse by having my gall bladder removed (and fibromyalgia, because that is the disease you finally get dx'd with when they can't find anything else wrong. Finally she referred me to a GI down at UC Davis. I got the thorough exam down there, with nothing showing up. She was also going to refer me to a pain clinic due to well, lots of pain! But because some of my inflammatory markers in my blood work have been elevated, she did an IBD panel, which included celiac. I tested positive to one marker, had another upper endo done a couple of days later, and what do you know-it's celiac! And my stomach is a complete mess-inflammed and yucky. In the time frame of about 9 months, my stomach went from some mild spots of inflammation to moderate inflammation, bile backing up into my stomach. It's no wonder I now need 6-8 Vicodins a day to get through the pain.

I went to see a registered dietitian (Mary Hurd Aram), and even though it cost me $90, it was worth it. I have other health issues, and she was able to work around those to get my diet in line. She's taken me off dairy as well, and recommended some supplements to help digest my food better and get some nutrients I haven't been getting thru food. I am very hopeful that with the diet change I will be able to get off my pain meds and some of my other meds.

I would love to meet some gluten free friends, and have no trouble traveling over the river to do so. So if you manage to get a group together, please keep me in mind.

Susan

Archived