This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pizza Topping Faves

purple

purple Community Regular

I have been making pizza sauce alot lately with my garden tomatoes. I was wondering what are everyones favorite toppings.

Mine was always Canadian bacon and pineapple,

then it was BBQ chicken,

and our new fave is tomato, bacon, a bit of parmesan cheese, with some onions and peppers.

My dh loves zucchini, onions and peppers

I hate mushrooms and olives...my dh loves them.

My dd likes chicken alfredo.

I also like pepperoni and pineapple or taco.

Looking for new ideas...whats yours!?

If you make plain cheese, what types of cheeses do you use? Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mtndog Collaborator

I love eggplant and al Fresco garlic chicken sausage. I usually mix asiago with mozarella and parmesan. Ummm...hungry!

naturallyboredthriller Newbie

My favorite pizza toppings are fresh mushrooms, fresh diced green peppers, fresh diced cherry tomatoes, Kraft natural fat free shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheese, and fat free grated parmesean cheese. Oh great, now I'm craving a pizza! :blink:

missy'smom Collaborator

cut or crumbled Italian meatballs, zucchini and garlic

sliced chicken sausages, onions and any color bell peppers

momxyz Contributor

I like really thinly sliced green peppers and bedalia onions. Emphasis on the thinly sliced!

maybe sometimes with a little crumbled hamburg or sausage...

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

I think a Buffalo chicken pizza sounds good. Shredded buffalo meat (chicken with hot sauce) with blue cheese sprinkled over the top. I'm not a fan of celery but it could be added.

purple Community Regular
cut or crumbled Italian meatballs, zucchini and garlic

sliced chicken sausages, onions and any color bell peppers

I used to make up a bag of mini meatballs to keep in the freezer just for pizza...forgot about that...love 'em!

Mtndog and missy'smom...I have never heard of chicken sausages, do you make them yourself?

momxyz...I used to hate peppers and onions but now I have to have them on pizza :rolleyes:

Thanks all for the ideas...I am going to the store tonight (1 hour away) and making pizzas tomorrow.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jenngolightly Contributor

I love thinly-sliced red onion, artichoke, and diced-up leftover grilled chicken. Sometimes I add hatch green chilies for a kick.

jerseyangel Proficient

I love meatballs on pizza! Also, bacon and green pepper. Sometimes, though, I like just cheese (lots) and pepperoni. I like to mix mozzerella with a little extra sharp cheddar, and when the pizza is all assembled grate fresh pecorino romano over the top before it goes in the oven.

TrillumHunter Enthusiast

Lightly cooked spinach, artichokes, and roasted red peppers all with a good dose of chopped garlic and a drizzle of olive oil.

Yummy!

jerseyangel Proficient
Lightly cooked spinach, artichokes, and roasted red peppers all with a good dose of chopped garlic and a drizzle of olive oil.

Yummy!

This whole thread is making my mouth water :D

Frances03 Enthusiast
This whole thread is making my mouth water :D

Mine too! I can't wait to get all the gluten out of my house and then experiment with pizza crusts!! I feel like I can't do anything until I get the house gluten free. This whole thread is making me want to come up with a homemade pizza that is better than anything I could get out!

mushroom Proficient

Why wasn't this thread here yesterday when I was looking for pizza topping ideas (first post-tomato sauce pizza). Dh wanted pepperoni on it, but I put pesto, mozzarella, fresh tomato slices, shaved parmesan and fresh basil.

jerseyangel Proficient
Mine too! I can't wait to get all the gluten out of my house and then experiment with pizza crusts!!

Here is the absolute best gluten-free crust I've ever had--I got the recipe from here quite a while ago by member "hangininthere" who I don't think posts here anymore. It goes together very easily....

'New York Style' Pizza Crust

Makes one 16" pizza crust

2 tablespoons rapid-rise yeast

1 1l3 cup warm milk

1 teaspoon sugar

1 1l3 cup brown rice flour (I use either white or sweet rice flour)

1 cup tapioca flour (I substituted cornstarch)

2 teaspoons guar gum (I used xanthan gum--make sure you use a gum or it will turn out hard)

1 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons gelatin powder

2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning (I skipped this)

2 teaspoons olive oil

2 teaspoons apple cidar vinegar

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

In small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk and sugar.

In separate large bowl, blend together dry ingredients.

Stir in yeast mixture.

Add oil and apple cider vinegar.

Mix well.

Pat onto buttered and floured sheet - cover with plastic wrap and shape using the wrap between your fingers and the dough. Lift plastic wrap slowly off.

Rub olive oil on top of patted out dough.

Bake plain untopped crust for 10 minutes.

Remove from oven and add toppings.

Return to oven and finish baking for another 20 minutes.

jenngolightly Contributor

We use frozen Kinnikinnik pizza crust found at King Soopers (local supermarket). Kind of pricey, but so yummy that all of the non-celiac's in my house LOVE it. Everyone gets to build their 7" personal pizza, so everybody's happy. We also make Deby's garlic bread (Denver-based store) so it's a true pizzeria on nights that I'm too tired to cook.

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

I picked up a "against the grain" pizza crust today. I'll have to try one of the ideas here for toppings.

nevlivinwithout Newbie

We eat pizza every Friday and our old standby is mushrooms, olives, ham and pepperoni. After Thanksgiving I like to make Turkey, Bacon and Ranch. I will sometimes make it when I have leftover chicken also. Ranch is used as the sauce. Bbq also makes a nice sauce with chicken(or turkey) and bacon. Have fun!

missy'smom Collaborator
I used to make up a bag of mini meatballs to keep in the freezer just for pizza...forgot about that...love 'em!

Mtndog and missy'smom...I have never heard of chicken sausages, do you make them yourself?

momxyz...I used to hate peppers and onions but now I have to have them on pizza :rolleyes:

The chicken sausages are store bought. There are so many gluten-free ones. Whole Foods sells them as do many mainstream groceries. Many brands and flavors-Italian, Feta and something, etc. Most are pre-cooked, WF sells ones that they make, in their meat case, that are raw. Not all are gluten-free but many are.

I agree with others, these ideas sound SO good! I'll bet one could make a good breakfast style pizza, like the ones Red Baron sells-white sauce/sausage gravy, scrambled eggs, cheese, bacon etc.

purple Community Regular
The chicken sausages are store bought. There are so many gluten-free ones. Whole Foods sells them as do many mainstream groceries. Many brands and flavors-Italian, Feta and something, etc. Most are pre-cooked, WF sells ones that they make, in their meat case, that are raw. Not all are gluten-free but many are.

I agree with others, these ideas sound SO good! I'll bet one could make a good breakfast style pizza, like the ones Red Baron sells-white sauce/sausage gravy, scrambled eggs, cheese, bacon etc.

Thanks...all we have is a small co-op but who knows, they might have the chicken sausages.

I used to buy those a.m. pizzas...mmm! I always wondered how they made that white sauce.

My dh suggested I make bacon cheeseburger with tomatoes and onions next time...sounds good too.

missy'smom Collaborator
Thanks...all we have is a small co-op but who knows, they might have the chicken sausages.

I used to buy those a.m. pizzas...mmm! I always wondered how they made that white sauce.

My dh suggested I make bacon cheeseburger with tomatoes and onions next time...sounds good too.

It's a basic white/cream sauce-started with a roux of butter and flour with milk added plus lots of black pepper and crumbled sausage. I'm thinking brown the sausage and remove, then start the roux in the sausage fat for extra flavor!

• 2 weeks later...
twe0708 Community Regular

What kind of sauce does everyone use?

purple Community Regular

My recipe I got from c. d. kitchen but I used fresh garden toms in place of the tom sauce.

1/2 onion, minced

1 or more garlic cloves, minced (more)

2 T. olive oil

1 16 oz. tom sauce

1 6 oz. tom paste

2 tsp. sugar

1 tsp. basil

1 tsp. oregano

1/2 tsp. salt (used garlic salt)

Saute onion and garlic in oil, add the rest and simmer about 15 minutes.

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

I use olive oil and spices, no tomato for me.

EmilyR83 Rookie

I use Bob's Red Mill crust and it is so good. I use prego traditional sauce for the pizza sauce. My favorite toppings are spinach and chicken, and after it comes out of the oven, I top it with sliced tomatoes(I dont like them cooked though). Now I am hungry for pizza!

missy'smom Collaborator

I use Enrico's All Natural Pizza Sauce. It's sold at healthfood stores as well as our reg. grocery chain.

Archived