This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Shortness Of Breath (the "sighs")?

soulcurrent

Harley0000 Rookie
My GI said he didn't think it was related, but I'm not convinced. When I was 19 I started noticing that I was often having to take deep breaths to feel like I was getting any air. Now at 25 I feel it all the time, every day, and it's more like I have to sigh or yawn in order to feel like my lungs are getting what they need. I know that I'm not suffocating but it's not a comfortable feeling. It's not exactly a chest tightness but it's similar. I've had the pulmonary function and asthma tests, even went to a cardiologist for a while to rule out any heart conditions. Everyone says my lungs are working great but I still feel like it's not getting any better. I did smoke for a long time but I quit a little over 2 years ago (2 years, 9 weeks, 0 days, 14 hours and 12 mins and saved $3,410.79.. .but who's counting?) but doctors have ruled out complications from that. They almost all default to anxiety because I have a prescription for Xanax but I can tell you that it happens all the time, regardless of feeling anxious.

Sound familiar to anyone, or should I keep looking? I'm starting to wonder if another allergy might be the cause.

Hello

I had the same problem and had not yet been tested for Celiacs. The hard to breath feeling was accompanied by that extremely full feeling and heartburn. When they did my endoscopy (positive for celiac disease) they found Gastritis & esophagitis (sp) which are both inflammation of the stomach and esophagus. GI dr said it was most likely brought on by the celiacs and put me on presribed prilosec and the problem lessoned up and I am breathing much better!

Good Luck

• 10 months later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulcurrent

• Scott Adams

• trents

• knitty kitty

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulcurrent

soulcurrent 8 posts

• Scott Adams

Scott Adams 5 posts

• trents

trents 3 posts

• knitty kitty

knitty kitty 3 posts

gfquestion Newbie

Well, I just got back from the ER, and like any odd medical symptom I get, I check it on here to see if I'm alone or it might be related to Celiac. Last night after dinner, I started to feel short of breath, exactly like some of you have said, in which it feels like I have to take constant big breaths just to feel like my lungs are getting the air. It felt like maybe a lung collapsed or something. I would have to breath out of my mouth to get enough air and almost be gasping, trying to find a deep breath, and manage to get one in and feel better for a nanosecond before starting all over. After not being able to sleep and worrying about it, I went to the ER. Doctor did a bunch of tests, blood, heart, chest x-ray, but everything seemed fine. He also said it might just be from anxiety (i don't think so). I asked him if it was possible that since I get that celiac belly- distended abdomen and expanded intestines, if it might just be that all of that was pushing against or getting in the way of my lungs or diaphragm. He said no. But I just don't trust doctors anymore....

And this has happened to me once before, a month or two ago, the SAME exact thing and it lasted like 2 days.

rhiannon34 Newbie

This is the symptom thst made me want to find out if I had Celiac's again. The last few weeks I had been so tired and out of breath and just weak. Even talking would make me feel breathless. I went on one of these web md symptom checker websites and anemia was one of the possible diagnosis'. I stated taking an iron supplement that night and it started going away within hours. I haven't felt breathless since.

tarnalberry Community Regular

I've had this as an asthma symptom.

Looking for answers Contributor

Hi,

I've had this too. First in college, it was so bad, the lack of air, I couldn't even climb up three flights of stairs to my apartment without sitting down. I was young and thin, yet I felt completely out of shape. I went to the doctors and he said I was only using 30% of my lung capacity.

From that point on, I did exactly what you did - constantly grasped for air. I would do it over and over again until I felt like my lungs filled up. I begin thinking it was an OCD/anxiety thing, because I did it so often.

However, after going gluten-free this got significantly better. I just now realized after reading your post that I never do this anymore.

However, back in December I started realizing that I was often feeling out of breath again. My iron levels were low and since supplementing with iron, I don't get this feeling anymore either.

I think it's a combination of lack of vitamins/minerals and other food intolerances. I started taking a liquid vitamin that supposedly has a 93% absorption rate back in January, and maybe that's why the shortness of breath is now gone.

undiagnosed2years Newbie

Hi I'm new here and I am not diagnosed yet, but this breathing thing... I'm so glad it's not just me. I thought I was going crazy. I had a positive test for anemia awhile back and now I realize why I breath like that.

bridgetm Enthusiast

I had that sudden, unconscious gasp for air also. I didn't realize it could be related until browsing this thread. I had forgotten about it, but now that I think about it, it hasn't happened since I went gluten free. About 6 years ago, right before I started high school, I went to this fitness program where they put me on a stationary bike and tested my oxygen levels. They kept asking whether I was getting enough air and I said I was fine. After the test, they told me I was using only a fraction of my lung-capacity. I went to asthma camps when I was little where they taught us how to "belly-breathe" and I was also a swimmer so I did okay with small breaths. I thought it was perfectly normal, but it always worried my mom when she wouldn't hear me taking breaths for a few minutes at a time and then hear me take a sudden gasp of air. That gluten does weird things.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 6 years later...
bexlloyd Newbie

I too have suffered for many years with "shortness of breath", although it's more about not getting a satisfying breath. I've had my doctor run tests on my lungs as well as my heart and they have been ruled out. About a year ago I was told that it might be caused by acid reflux or GERD. So I went on proton-pump inhibitor medication which helped for a while. However, in the last couple months I've gotten worse than ever and I think I've built up a tolerance to the medications, if gerd was the proper diagnosis in the first place. I've just recently looked into Celiac disease and am shocked at how perfectly everyone has described their breathing issues and how similar it is to my symptom. I might try to go off glutin just to see if maybe my breathing gets better. It's been over 10 years I've been suffering with this without proper diagnosis or management and it doesn't seem like I'm alone. If you turn out to not have a glutin intolerance, maybe look into acid reflux or gerd as being the cause. It's amazing how uncomfortable and frustrating this symptom is and how many doctors just write you off or give you an inhaler. I'm going to try anything and everything I can because breathing is just about the most important and constant thing I do everyday and we all need to be able to do it comfortably. 

• 9 months later...
amyvege Newbie

It’s called air hunger. I used to get it all the time before I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. And I also had pvc’s (premature ventricular contraction) where it felt like my heart was fluttering. I was also anemic because my high tsh was causing me to have my period nonstop for a year. Once I started on synthroid the air hunger stopped - it took awhile to get the dosage right - but now I take brand name synthroid and it helps. I occasionally still get air hunger and I do struggle with anemia. My ferritin was very low and I felt terrible - I had two iron transfusions and started on Doterra vitality pack vitamins. I feel so so much better. But I used to get anxiety and panic attacks from the air hunger - now that I know what it’s from - thyroid issues plus the anemia most likely - I know it’s my normal and my synthroid needs to be adjusted. I still get pvc’s but they don’t bother me as much now that I know the cause. I went gluten free because I feel much much better without it - lots of issues won’t get into it - but the reason I landed here is because I was searching gluten and shortness of breath. If I’m glutened - the next day my chest feels tight and I feel slightly short of breath - I never used to have this but maybe because I stay away from it I’m more sensitive to my reactions. Anyway. Thought I’d chime in on the air hunger thing...I would get iron, ferritin, and thyroid tested. I got lucky at the time my thyroid was diagnosed anything over 2.5 was considered high. Mine was 3.5. Once treated my period went back to normal as well. Now the lab values at my clinic changed and go up to 5.5. I can’t even imagine how crappy I would feel at that level. Anything over 1.0 I have symptoms. Anyway good luck!

• 3 years later...
Sabri Newbie

Absolutely relying to you! 

Exactly exactly what I have too. 

I've been having the breathing problem since I was young and always went to doctors for them to say it's nothing. 

Literally having to yawn all day to get the breaths in it is not normal. 

It got so bad to the point where I had to go to hospital last week and they finally did a check for coeliac disease because i said that my stomach seems bloated always ..... and then I was diagnosed after a blood test. 

So far I am on a gluten free diet but breathing is still bad but I'm hoping once it gets out of my system that this heals... and maybe checking for all types of intolerances will be ideal as having these breathing problems is not ok and makes life so much more difficult. It comes and goes but when it strikes it is just a nightmare. 

Scott Adams Grand Master

Hello @Sabri and welcome to the forum!

I will assume that your doctors eliminated some of the possible things like heart disease and various lung diseases that could possibly cause this, just to be on the safe side. 

Celiac disease can be associated with a condition called "Scleroderma" which can affect the lungs. It's been mentioned on our site several times, although it's not a very common association:

https://www.celiac.com/search/?q="lung disease"&type=cms_records2&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and

This article discusses it in more detail, but you may want to mention this to your doctor:

knitty kitty Grand Master

I think this thread might be helpful.....

Hope this helps...

Beverage Rising Star

I found a lot of relief by following this, apple cider vinegar before any meal with protein really really really helped:

https://drjockers.com/hiatal-hernia/

• 2 months later...
Alex12345 Newbie
On 10/26/2009 at 3:16 PM, soulcurrent said:

My GI said he didn't think it was related, but I'm not convinced. When I was 19 I started noticing that I was often having to take deep breaths to feel like I was getting any air. Now at 25 I feel it all the time, every day, and it's more like I have to sigh or yawn in order to feel like my lungs are getting what they need. I know that I'm not suffocating but it's not a comfortable feeling. It's not exactly a chest tightness but it's similar. I've had the pulmonary function and asthma tests, even went to a cardiologist for a while to rule out any heart conditions. Everyone says my lungs are working great but I still feel like it's not getting any better. I did smoke for a long time but I quit a little over 2 years ago (2 years, 9 weeks, 0 days, 14 hours and 12 mins and saved $3,410.79.. .but who's counting?) but doctors have ruled out complications from that. They almost all default to anxiety because I have a prescription for Xanax but I can tell you that it happens all the time, regardless of feeling anxious.

Sound familiar to anyone, or should I keep looking? I'm starting to wonder if another allergy might be the cause.

This is so relatable and i've had a sudden onset of this air hunger /shortness of breath since January (going on 5 months. I've been treated with inhaler, seen a pulmonologist, gone to urgent care with EKG, been prescribed anxiety medication and had a thyroid test. Everyone is telling me its anxiety but the only thing giving me anxiety is feeling like i cant breathe! I've noticed its the worst after drinking/weekend eating and I thought maybe its from alcohol but now i'm starting to explore gluten. I usually eat pretty close to paleo but my weekends are eating out/whatever I want and heavy gluten filled beers. 

For those that felt relief, how long did it take before you saw a noticeable change? 

I definitely get gluten belly but don't have any vomitting or diarrhea usually so I dont' fully understand how this could be my most apparent gluten intolerance symptom, is this similar for anyone else? 

trents Grand Master

Celiac disease and gluten sensitivity/intolerance produce very variable symptoms from one individual to another. Many do not experience nausea/vomiting or diarrhea. 

Scott Adams Grand Master

This is an old article with some old citations, but there has been a link seen between sarcoidosis and celiac disease, although I've not seen much research on this since:

This article also discusses lung issues:

• 4 weeks later...
Krags Newbie
On 1/28/2021 at 12:52 PM, Sabri said:

Absolutely relying to you! 

Exactly exactly what I have too. 

I've been having the breathing problem since I was young and always went to doctors for them to say it's nothing. 

Literally having to yawn all day to get the breaths in it is not normal. 

It got so bad to the point where I had to go to hospital last week and they finally did a check for coeliac disease because i said that my stomach seems bloated always ..... and then I was diagnosed after a blood test. 

So far I am on a gluten free diet but breathing is still bad but I'm hoping once it gets out of my system that this heals... and maybe checking for all types of intolerances will be ideal as having these breathing problems is not ok and makes life so much more difficult. It comes and goes but when it strikes it is just a nightmare. 

Hi Sabri,

I see that you posted this in January. Have you noticed a substantial difference in your breathing since then on a gluten-free diet? I have been having similar symptoms to those that have been previously posted but the most consistent symptom is the shortness of breath or constant "sighing." This has been going on for over 2 years now. I have been on a relatively gluten-free diet for a little over 2 months now but have not yet noticed an improvement in my breathing. 

Looking forward to your response and hope you are feeling better! 

trents Grand Master
34 minutes ago, Krags said:

Hi Sabri,

I see that you posted this in January. Have you noticed a substantial difference in your breathing since then on a gluten-free diet? I have been having similar symptoms to those that have been previously posted but the most consistent symptom is the shortness of breath or constant "sighing." This has been going on for over 2 years now. I have been on a relatively gluten-free diet for a little over 2 months now but have not yet noticed an improvement in my breathing. 

Looking forward to your response and hope you are feeling better! 

Welcome to the forum, Krags!

A "relatively free gluten-free diet"? Do you have an official diagnosis of a gluten-related disorder or are you just experimenting with eating gluten free?

Krags Newbie
51 minutes ago, trents said:

Welcome to the forum, Krags!

A "relatively free gluten-free diet"? Do you have an official diagnosis of a gluten-related disorder or are you just experimenting with eating gluten free?

I have just been experimenting with a gluten-free diet as my symptoms led me to consider Celiac as a possible answer to why I’ve been feeling the way I have. 

trents Grand Master
1 hour ago, Krags said:

I have just been experimenting with a gluten-free diet as my symptoms led me to consider Celiac as a possible answer to why I’ve been feeling the way I have. 

Okay. But keep in mind that if you have celiac disease or even gluten sensitivity, you may not get the answer from our experiment unless you are totally gluten free. It is often an "all in" or not at all in if you know what I mean. You may or may not see much difference in symptoms just by cutting back on gluten.

Scott Adams Grand Master

I should also mention that iron levels, low or high might cause a breathing issue like this as a symptom. I have chronic high red blood cell counts and need to do phlebotomy regularly. I notice that I get this symptom sometimes when my count is on the high side.

• 3 months later...
MelodyRKHP Newbie

A google search about a connection between gluten and feeling like you can’t breathe led me here.  I’ve had this problem since I was a small child. I also had asthma. Two TOTALLY different issues. Asthma is truly a lung problem with the wheezing and coughing and other lung noises to go with it where the constriction of the bronchi actually prevent breath. THIS problem is a NEED to yawn in order to feel satisfied. Many times it takes me several attempts before I’m able to get that nice deep yawn and feel satisfied. But then sometimes within 10 minutes it happens again. I’ve always felt there was a connection between this “air hunger” and anxiety.  But does anxiety cause it? Does the air hunger cause anxiety? Or does something else entirely cause one or both?  My husband and I decided to start eating keto about 2 years ago. Several of my issues went away with this way of eating but it took a while to notice.  I stopped snoring, acid reflux and esophageal spasms stopped and I didn’t require an acid reducer for the first time in over 15 years, my joints didn’t hurt as much, my tummy was no longer bloated and became flat (this was with little to no weight loss). But keto proved to be a difficult lifestyle to maintain and my hubby and I decided to try weight watchers to help him shed some pounds and help me with my glucose levels (diabetic).  All these symptoms have now returned and the “air hunger” is worse than I ever remember. I have been tested for celiac and it was negative. But the only thing I can think of is a gluten sensitivity? 

Scott Adams Grand Master

Welcome to the forum @MelodyRKHP

Yes, you could have non-celiac gluten sensitivity, which is a medically recognized condition that recent research has shown to be a separate condition from celiac disease, and ~12% of people have this, while only 1% of people have celiac disease. Unfortunately they haven't yet developed a test for this condition.

You mentioned that you were screened for celiac disease, was this test done while you were eating a gluten-free, keto diet? If so, the results would likely be a false-negative, as you need to eat ~2 slices worth of wheat bread daily for at least 6-8 weeks before a blood test can be accurate. If you were gluten-free, it would be a good idea to get another blood test now, before you go gluten-free.

The recommended treatment for NCGS is the same as celiac disease, a gluten-free diet.

• 1 year later...
Big George Newbie
On 10/26/2009 at 2:16 PM, soulcurrent said:

I feel it all the time, every day, and it's more like I have to sigh or yawn in order to feel like my lungs are getting what they need. I know that I'm not suffocating but it's not a comfortable feeling. It's not exactly a chest tightness but it's similar.

Does it help at all to eat raw onions? (Sorry, I wish it could have been strawberries or beer or something.)

Scott Adams Grand Master

@Big George you are replying to a post from 2009, so it is unlikely you'll get an answer.