This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New, Overwhelmed And Looking For Input!

Turtle

Turtle Enthusiast

Hello -

I'm Turtle! Was just diagnosed a week ago and in the process of learning the ropes. Slightly overwhelemed, mostly at just trying to clear ou the bead stuff in the kitchen and replace it with good stuff. I've been doing a ton of research and appreciate all the good info on this site. I'm relying on the forbidden foods list, etc. to get me started as well as will be seeing a nutritionist (although first available appt is 1st week in June). I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good type of bread machine? I LOVE bagels and figure it would be easiest to learn to make my own. As well as bake my own gluten-free bread. Any insight would be great. I have a ton of other questions but will return later to pick your brains some more. HAHA! Thanks a bunch!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Turtle Enthusiast

P.S. Please disregard all my bad spelling. HAHA!

plantime Contributor

We'll ignore your bad spelling if you'll ignore ours! Welcome to the board, we are glad to have you. I have not found a bread that I like the taste of, so I just go without it completely. I don't use a machine, never have, probably never will! Come on back when you have more time and more questions. Read over the board, you just might find that someone else has already asked whatever it is you want to know!

Rikki Tikki Explorer

Hi Dessa:

The only bread I have found that tastes good is from kinnikinnick. Today I used the english muffins, put butter and cheese on them and then broiled them. I haven't tried the bread without toasting it because all of the other ones tasted so bad. But this brand toasted or broiled is pretty good. I think it is most like I remember bread tasting like. :D

Turtle Enthusiast

Hi and thank you for the warm welcome! And thanks for overlooking my horrible spelling in that last post. I was in a hurry.....which seems to be the story of my life. I did have a chance to review quite a bit of the board. VERY helpful. Thank you to everyone who shares. I hope to return the favor as I begin my gluten-free life.

I travel quite a bit w/ my job as well as I commute from SC to work in NC each week (My other half is in the military and currently stationed in SC. Because of my job & the possibility of him deploying to Iraq for a 3rd time in October i'm commuting for now, crazy I know). Anyhow, I plan to pack up my cooler each day and take along snacks, dressings, etc. but b/c of the nature of my job there are MANY times that I get stuck and need to grab something on the road. I'm aware of Wendy's, Chick-Fil-A, PF Chengs & Outback having a gluten-free menu. Does anyone know of any others to add to the list? Or maybe there is a list on here somewhere already that I just haven't stumbled across yet.

Thank you again for your input and support.

Turtle

pixiegirl Enthusiast

I have tried a bunch of ready made breads and a bunch of gluten-free mixes. The ready made ones from Whole Foods Market are good but by far the best is Manna by Anna (google it). I make it in a really old bread machine and it comes out perfectly. I wouldn't trade this bread mix for anything. If I could only choose 1 gluten free product it would be this one. Its that good. Again if you pass a Whole Foods Market in your travels you will find an entire section in the bakery of Gluten Free bakery products that they make in their own gluten-free free kitchen.

Susan

ianm Apprentice

I have to travel frequently and have found Denny's to be accommodating. I stick with their salads mostly and they are usually willing to accomodate any special requests. TGIFridays and Chilis have some low carb menus that I have never had any problems with.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Turtle Enthusiast

Thanks so much!

Does anyone have a fav bread machine that they can recommend that mixes up our special potions well and bakes well? I keep reading that it's important to find a bread machine that can mix up our gluten-free flours well. But, there are so many bread machines out there and the research i've done on them all runs together at this point.

judy05 Apprentice

I also have had good luck with Denny's. They have a book under the counter where you can cross reference allergens with their food. They have been very accomodating about cleaning the grill and using clean utensils.

Turtle Enthusiast

Thanks Judy!

• 2 weeks later...
antmimi Rookie

Where do you get a forbidden foods list???

I'm new too and in PAIN.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

https://www.celiac.com/st_main.html?p_catid=12

Here is where you can get the forbidden and safe lists.

Do remember that things you put on your hands, face, and head can easily get into your mouth so those products you use would be best if they were gluten free as well. It's not as overwhelming as it may seem...you'll get the hang of it pretty quick.

If you need help email me and I can help with anything you need.

This is a great source for info and support...people on here are so great!

Feel better :D

Guest BellyTimber

:)

Turtle,

I'm in the UK and my machine is called a Cookworks and comes from a shop called Argos. Acquaintances say a Panasonic is good, plus other makes. I don't know whether you get those in the States.

Check the "recipes" section in this forum in case there has been postings about bread machines (I don't check there often enough).

If not, keep asking!

Your practical approach will help you a lot. All the best.

• 2 weeks later...
Turtle Enthusiast

Thanks for the bread machine input. And I'll check out the Manna by Anna product line too. You guys are great!

blueshift Apprentice

Turtle,

You might try Food for Life's Brown Rice Bread. Toast it and no bread can match it.

Van's makes a flax waffle that you can toast. Amy's makes a number of burritos, enchaladas, and other dishes that are gluten free. They also make a pizza with rice crust if you can take rice at all. White rice is out for me.

tnt Newbie

Try Kinnikkinnick frozen breads - rolls, bagles, pizza crust, etc. It's wonderful and gluten-free - bagles taste like a re-heated Bojangles biscuit. I found it at the Natural MarketPlace and Home Economist stores in North Carolina. You can also order online at www.kinnikinnick.com.

JUDI42MIL Apprentice

I use a machine called- breadman ultimate-- it does great with all breads. I find though the only one I like is bob red mills-- its easy to make too- I make a loaf- slice it and freeze slices in baggies.

Turtle Enthusiast

Thanks for all the good ideas. I tried to bake another loaf in the oven.....it didn't go so good. I gotta get a machine. Time to start a savings jar! HA!

Guest BellyTimber

:rolleyes:

I hope it isn't too bad to make bread-and-butter pudding with, then you will still have something to enjoy!

Guest nini

My bread machine is a Kenmore and it has many different settings, gluten free doughs work best with very little kneading, so I use the quick cycle, you can also do a "dough only" cycle

Also, during the mixing cycle, I use a rubber paddle to keep the dough mix off of the sides of the pan, this is very simple to do, after it's been mixing for a couple of minutes I just help it along with my paddle.

CaliGirl Newbie

I like using the mix from Gluten Free Pantry for basic white sandwhich bread. I sometimes toast it, but unlike most gluten free products, you don't have to toast it to make it edible. I just use my Kitchenaid mixer, which is fantastic. You can use it for anything. Some day I want to try making gluten-free pasta with it, but in the meanwhile, buying pre-made pasta is just fine!

A funny thing about bread--I used to be so health conscious, I used whole grain bread, whole wheat pasta.... even whole-wheat shampoo! Now I eat my yummy white gluten-free bread, and I'm healthier than I've ever been.

:)

Rachel

Turtle Enthusiast

Michael, it was so bad the dog wouldn't touch it...(I have a black lab that will eat pretty much ANYTHING). HAHA!

Thanks nini for the bread machine tips! Also, I see your from out there where the big chicken is. HAHA!

Guest nini

you are welcome on the bread machine tips and Yep, I'm in Big Chicken land! LOL! I actually work less than 1/2 a mile from the Chicken and that's how we tell people to get to my work!

Turtle Enthusiast

You're a RIOT!

Thanks for the laugh...I needed that.

Guest nini

who me??? :huh:

:D

Archived