This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Almond Dream Safe?

jasonD2

jasonD2 Experienced

Anyone know if Almond Dream is safe? I know there are issues with Rice Dream since they use barley in the production.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Frances03 Enthusiast

I don't know! but your post made me realize it is made by the same company as rice dream! After talking to them last week, I'm not buying ANY of their products again. However I would also like to know if almond dream uses barley in the production since I was having it over rice for breakfast until last week! At the suggestion of someone else on this board, I bought Pacific rice milk, it tastes good and they DON'T use barley! I hope you get an answer about almond dream though. Maybe try calling them and asking if they use barley, or if they make it in the same facility as the rice dream!

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

My understanding is that, in the "Dream" line of milk substitutes, only Rice Dream is processed with barley enzymes, and that Almond Dream is safe. They also have "Hemp Dream," which is surprisingly delicious (and I can have dairy!), and it, too, is processed without the barley enzymes.

Tigercat17 Enthusiast

Thanks so much for letting us know. I was wondering about this also, since Rice Dream is processed with barley enzymes. I'm sure I would have a reaction. My stomach is still so sensitive. I've been on a gluten free diet for seven weeks and it's slow progress. I've now, given up dairy & was looking about different milk options.

I'll have to try the Hemp Dream, too.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
Tigercat17 Enthusiast

Has anyone had a reaction to the Almond Dream? I've been drinking it for the last three day & I've noticed each day I've been getting more & more bloated. Today I had trouble eating & felt sooo full all day. And I couldn't even eat my dinner tonight. I've been eating it with my rice in the morning. I know this is the only thing I've been eating differently. I even keep a food dairy.

I called the company last week & they told me it was not processed with barley enzymes & it was completely gluten free. I have to say the women sounded a little annoyed at my questions. <_<

Maybe there is some cross contamination while making it? Or maybe I'm just so sensitive to everything since I'm still healing?

Either way it's off my menu.

Has anyone had any bad reactions to it? Thanks!

Alphawave Rookie
Has anyone had a reaction to the Almond Dream? I've been drinking it for the last three day & I've noticed each day I've been getting more & more bloated. Today I had trouble eating & felt sooo full all day. And I couldn't even eat my dinner tonight. I've been eating it with my rice in the morning. I know this is the only thing I've been eating differently. I even keep a food dairy.

I called the company last week & they told me it was not processed with barley enzymes & it was completely gluten free. I have to say the women sounded a little annoyed at my questions. <_<

Maybe there is some cross contamination while making it? Or maybe I'm just so sensitive to everything since I'm still healing?

Either way it's off my menu.

Has anyone had any bad reactions to it? Thanks!

Long before I knew I had Celiac, I had removed all dairy products, which I KNEW were a problem, unless it was yogurt or hard cheese (low lactose). I tried Almond Dream and knew something was wrong. At first I thought it was the coffee. I then tried Almond BREEZE, and have never had a problem in my coffee. Now that I have a confirmed diagnosis of Celiac, I don't want to mess things up, and haven't tried the DREAM brand. I have also put Pacific Organic Almond Milk (which is hard to find where I live), and I have no problem with it either. I am like you, trying to heal. I betcha there is some kind of cross contamination thing going on with the Dream brands. Same thing with rice cakes. I have no problem with the organic Lundberg brand, but the store was out one day, and I got the Quaker rice cakes. No bueno. Even though the label lists nothing even remotely laden with gluten. Here is the thing, Quaker uses barley malt in SOME of their rice cakes. Guess what, that junk floated over to the supposedly gluten free. ARGH !!!!

• 2 years later...
ErikC Newbie

I know this is years after the original post, but I definitely got a reaction to Almond Dream. They do not label it gluten free in Canada, but I had thought the ingredients looked safe. It took me about two weeks to get a reaction, which became increasingly severe after another week. I am not as sensitive as some, so for those of you who are sensitive, avoid this product!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 1 year later...
Renaye Contributor

I was originally eating amande yogurt and can't find any so I brought home almond dreams yogurt and suddenly realized that it may not be safe.  Rice Dreams milk is not safe so does that mean that all of the Dream products are not safe, including yogurt and ice cream? I bought it for my upcoming vacation and really don't want to take any chances with feeling ill..... 

Renaye

Archived