This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Why Does It Hurt So Much?

missla3000

missla3000 Rookie

Hello Im wondering if anyone can help me - Ive been Gluten free for only 3 days now - first 2 were amazing and to be honest I felt like a new person - no cramps pains or nothing - I was so happy that I had a house party!!!!!! Thing is today - 3rd day - I am in so much pain and feel like crap again - I definitely havnt had gluten but it feels worse than ever - is this normal and is it just my bodies way of getting used to the gluten free foods? Hope someone else has experienced this - Im gutted as I thought I was really going to be getting better!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Don't expect to feel better so soon. I had good and bad days and didn't get alot better until the 3rd month. It took me a few months more to get back to normal. Some people do heal quicker then others. Your body is going through a healing process and it takes some time to feel better. There is not a time limit you could feel better in days, weeks, months, or even over a year.

At this point you are very new to it and could be having more accidents then you think. I thought I was doing good the first couple weeks until I realized what all gluten could be hidden under. Then I realized I had to check lipsticks, shampoos, lotions, toothpastes etc. because traces could easily get to my mouth. Now anything I put on my body...espcecially if I put it on my hands, face, or head I make sure it is gluten free.

Give it some time..you can't expect to heal and get rid of symptoms so quick. You also can get symptoms from your body adjusting to the diet and dealing with the change...hang in there :D

Turtle Enthusiast

I'm 2 days into being gluten-free myself. I haven't had any pain yet, but yesterday I was exhausted. So much so that I took today off from work, slept in and am now starting to feel better. If you want to keep in touch since we're both starting out at the same time, e-mail me at: turtledupree@hotmail.com (put something w/ gluten-free in the subject section so I don't mistake you for junk mail). Good luck and thanks for posting. It's very helpful!

Turtle

tarnalberry Community Regular

My gluten reactions last a week, so three days is nothin'! :-) (And day 1 usually isn't the worst...)

The only thing I can suggest is patience. Your intestines are damaged right now, and it'll take some time for them to heal, now that they finally have the opportunity to do so. (Maybe it's like when you cut/scrape yourself and a scab forms and the scab itches... you're healing, but you're getting unwanted symptoms with that healing. ;-) )

Carriefaith Enthusiast

The key to success is to treat yourself like royalty! You body needs to heal...

Get lots of rest and sleep and don't overwork yourself. Also make sure that you are getting your vitamins, in supplements or energy drinks, like boost (I think all boost are gluten-free except chocolate malt).

Personally, I got better with lots of time. Within the first 6 months of the gluten-free diet, I gained some weight back, stopped losing excess hair, and had noticeably less joint pain. After 1 year, I am seeing results in other areas, like less diarrhea, gas, bloating and fatigue. Don't get discouraged with my results though, most people see big results in less than 6 months.

Everyone has a different reaction to gluten. It's hard for me to pinpoint exactly what my reaction is since I don't intentionally eat gluten... but I think mine is extreme pain in the upper stomach area, intense gas, bloating, and bm's.

rmmadden Contributor

It's tough when you're not feeling well but, the only thing you can do it wait it out. Time and being gluten-free are the only thing that is going to make us better. As you have heard each person is different so the healing times vary.

Personally I didn't see much improvement until 3-months and I'm still not feeling 100%. Everytime we have a slip-up it sets you back some and delays the healing. I was glutened twice in a span of 8-days recently which meant that I spent about 2 solid weeks feeling lousy. I am just now starting to feel somewhat better.

If you don't take vitamins I would suggest you get some sort of multi-vitamin (make sure it's gluten-free). I take lots of vitamins as well as drinking homemade fruit & vegetable juice. I also drink Boost just to make sure I'm getting all the vitamins & minerals I need. Also, you might consider any other allergy possibilities. Keep a food log and see if you react to eating other things.

Hang in there. Brighter days are ahead of us!

Cleveland Bob B)

missla3000 Rookie

Ok you have all been so helpful that I feel I should just reply to say thanks to you all - and I have noticed that when I have dairy (apart from yoghurt and cheese) I do seem to be in pain again so I now feel its time to take myself away from milk - I think the yoghurt and cheese are ok tho - im sure its just the milk and my marg is gluten-free so its not that. I will take my vitamins and hope to feel better soon - Im already feeling a little better than when I last posted so thankyou all again!!!!!!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

plantime Contributor

Every day that goes by is one day closer to healing. Hang in there, your body is going through a detox phase right now. It will get better, it just takes time and perseverance.

• 2 weeks later...
antmimi Rookie

I have just been diagnosed with a wheat and corn allergy and it doesn't quit. I have been in pain on and off now for an entire month. I'll have 4 good days and then 4 REALLY PAINFUL days. I don't know when this will stop or if it will ever stop!!!!

It's really frustrating. I have spent huge amounts of money on med's to find out I am allergic to this one or that one after buying it... And Dr bills!!!!

Please tell me that one day I will feel halfway normal for more than 5 days.

Also, I need to know about the wheat free shampoo

Archived