This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Confused.

DreamWalker

DreamWalker Rookie

So, this is really weird.

Before going gluten-free, I had several friends think I had narcolepsy as I'd frequently fall asleep without warning. It's been over a year since the gluten-free diet and this issue virtually disappeared. On Saturday, I ate a new brand of rice cereal (which I highly suspect of containing gluten) and fell asleep at my computer. I woke up the next day on my floor rather confused. Then, on Sunday I went to bed and I woke up a little before four a.m. because I had to pee sooooo bad. :lol: At first, I intended to head back to bed yet I noticed my email (my computer is usually left on) had a copious amount of unread messages - which doesn't make sense given that I had checked it before bed on Sunday and that only my school & parent regularly email me. When I checked the clock, it said it was TUESDAY morning. I must have been asleep for 30+ hours, as I remember feeling as though I should head to bed early on Sunday given that I had a lot to do Monday. (ooops). <_<

Aside from being dizzy, famished, and really confused I'm fine. Although, if I let myself, I could truly go straight back to bed - I'm that tired.

I found a source for CC (no question - wheat crumbs) but could gluten truly have this effect?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gfresh404 Enthusiast

Sleeping for 30 plus hours is pretty intense.

I can tell you when I get glutened it does feel like I temporarily narcolepsy. I fall asleep within an hour and not by choice. I usually have to get at least an extra 4 hours of sleep. Haha but I've never slept through a whole day, that's impressive!

ravenwoodglass Mentor
So, this is really weird.

Before going gluten-free, I had several friends think I had narcolepsy as I'd frequently fall asleep without warning. It's been over a year since the gluten-free diet and this issue virtually disappeared. On Saturday, I ate a new brand of rice cereal (which I highly suspect of containing gluten) and fell asleep at my computer. I woke up the next day on my floor rather confused. Then, on Sunday I went to bed and I woke up a little before four a.m. because I had to pee sooooo bad. :lol: At first, I intended to head back to bed yet I noticed my email (my computer is usually left on) had a copious amount of unread messages - which doesn't make sense given that I had checked it before bed on Sunday and that only my school & parent regularly email me. When I checked the clock, it said it was TUESDAY morning. I must have been asleep for 30+ hours, as I remember feeling as though I should head to bed early on Sunday given that I had a lot to do Monday. (ooops). <_<

Aside from being dizzy, famished, and really confused I'm fine. Although, if I let myself, I could truly go straight back to bed - I'm that tired.

I found a source for CC (no question - wheat crumbs) but could gluten truly have this effect?

I would call your doctor or perhaps even visit the ER. That was a pretty severe reaction and not to scare you but you may have had something serious happen. The fact that you woke on the floor and were confused and are still a dizzy makes me wonder if you may have hit your head and suffered a concusion when you passed out. Loosing consiousness like that and for that long should not be brushed off.

taweavmo3 Enthusiast

I agree....you should visit a doctor. Could you have had a seizure? Not to scare you, but seizures are common with Celiac, and they will totally wipe you out like that. I know for myself and my kids, gluten does make us extremely tired, but not to the point where we could sleep 30+ hours.

Get yourself checked out, just to be on the safe side! Take care.

• 4 weeks later...
DreamWalker Rookie

I'm sorry I never followed up on this. It's happened two other times that I remember since posting. Um... I mentioned it to the resident during my last GI appointment ... So far no one seems to think it's much. In all reality, I wouldn't be surprised if it was nothing more than exhaustion. Although, it might be high blood sugar. I know I fall asleep on my floor if it spikes yet that was mainly due to reactions to various meds I was placed on for pain (TCAs/amytriptiline, nortriptiline, and remeron). They kept insisting it was hypotension and would try me on a different medication but I noticed whenever I passed out (this wasn't falling asleep - I was standing then crashed) it was after eating sugary foods, which I all but eliminated years ago. When I tested my blood sugar it was 373 mg/dl and a few other times it was 294, 264, and 210's. Yet, it normalizes and heads down into the 120s if I haven't eaten for a day or so (eating is very painful). I went to my GP about it and he did a random stick test. It came up 124 - which is good. And I told him I had been in too much pain lately to eat so he knew I was fasting. That was months ago and I haven't taken a TCA or Remeron since September - apparently high blood sugar is a side effect.

I'm clueless about diabetic issues but perhaps it's normal for someone's levels to rise so high shortly after eating sugary foods? That will make me very sleepy.

Um. I've had a couple seizures in the past but I was rather dehydrated. My electrolytes were probably way out of whack.

But I truly am exhausted. I think it's just from the year and a half of pain and vomiting - both of which have been waking me up from sleep this entire time. In June, 4-5 hours was the maximum amount of time I could sleep without bolting awake from pain. Periodically, I still wake up vomiting yet I'm prescribed Zofran on a steady basis and the pain is position oriented. My body must have trained itself to remain still, in a safe position when I sleep because I've been managing to sleep a decent amount lately.

Thank you all for replying. I'll bring it up during my appointment this week. I need to head in for insurance stuff.....

Out of curiosity, if he thinks this is something more than tiredness, what should I expect? My medical bills are becoming a larger debt than student loans. Well, that, and doesn't it seem a bit extreme? Sorry. I'm a chronic pain patient and am always scared of mentioning unrelated health issues or ones that sound too far out there. . .

I'm not on any medication so that wasn't the cause. Yet, I need something, anything that might alleviate the pain. I can't live off my savings much longer. And after spending six months isolated on my floor - I really, really, need help in order to function. I simply can't live like this anymore.

Sorry this went so far off topic. When I wrote that initial post, it was the first time I'd slept over thirty hours straight and was confused and hadn't thought things through.

Archived