This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Ate Gluten By Mistake

McDougall

McDougall Apprentice

I found out December 1, 2004 I was Celiac. I'm 38, male, my more unpleasant side affects were realized in 1999 when I had a compound fracture of my femur during a somewhat routine bicycle accident. When I learned why all my problems happened I became VERY careful not to eat gluten, I understand very much how serious celiac can be. My health and well being have improved drastically since gluten-free with about 5 minor mistakes (gasx, a couple fries in 'bad' oil ect...) the mistakes where unpleasant. Anyway a few months later here and now I am better than I have been since 1999, perhaps better than ever because I now know why my life has been a little rougher than most. I have always enjoyed travel to new places but the last few years was much to sick, after going gluten-free for a couple months I was feeling well enough to plan a trip for the first time in a long while. On 4/21/05 I got a plane from my Florida home to North Carolina. In a weak moment at a airport interchange I ordered a omelete from "Phillips" resteraunt in charollette, NC that had crabmeat and cheese, waitress said real crab... but I was in a hurry and wasn't REALLY careful. Anyway clearly there was gluten. That night 8-12 hours later I enjoyed a great concert and later felt unuasally tired and fell asleep. I woke at 3 am about 16 hours after eating the gluten. The pain in belly was bad, the sickness, everything I have been through all my life came back to me. All the nightmares. In a hotel my nieghbors sent staff to check on me as I was noisy in my pain and sickness. The next 8-10 hours were the worst. 10 days later I feel 90% better. I have bad back pain since then, an unusual symptom but then my body is a mess. The little bit of gluten I had now I am gluten-free was a unbelievable nightmare. I can't believe some doctors put people back on gluten. Some fool doctor told me to eat a slice a bread I might slap him upside the head. After the worst of the gluten sickness I have been very tired, terrible bone pain, my nasty toungue problem is back, tummy always turning, HD is rampant. Bowells are a mess. Cold spells gone after a a few days thankfully. Neck and back pain still bad maybe a hair better, but my back feels like it did back in the day and that is very unpleasant. Mood swings, emotional unstable since gluten accident.

Sorry, long rant! But I know I'm not the only one who has been through it, and not the last. Be careful out there, this crap is poison.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

darlindeb25 Collaborator

so true mcdougall---so very true--a very tough reminder that we can never be too careful--i have gotten so i dont trust anyone with my food and thats bad, but i cant face this kind of sickness--i just cant---deb

missla3000 Rookie

Its fine to rant - I do too! I have had this thing for over 6 years - if Im not mistaken may have had it while I was growing up but last 3 years have been dreadful! I have only been gluten-free for 5 days and feel amazing but last night I had an accident - and I am sick today and cant go out of the house at all - you feel like kicking yourself dont you? its prob not as bad as yours sounds but still it takes over you life! I would never touch gluten again no matter what any doctor saya - even the smell of once loved bread makes me heave! And ive only been gluten-free for 5 days!! unbelievable isnt it! Im glad to hear that you got to go on a trip tho - you can do it again, for sure!!!!! Take care

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

One gluten mistake can send you right in a tailspin. I get sick for about 2 weeks and it's torture. I have noticed it really just sets your body back...your body has to fight this. For some people it can take numerous weeks to get back on track after a "gluten poisoning".

Feel better soon :D

anewsprue Newbie

I did something dumb the other night, made tacos .... used corn hard shells, checked the taco sauce and it was ok....forgot to check the seasoning packet - it must have had gluten because I have been sick for two days. My son at a pop tart and left crumbs on the counter, I brushed them into the garbage with my hand and now my finger has itchy bumps on it. It seems like the longer I try to stay gluten-free, the more sensitive I become to the crap. Do any of you take Imodium for the diarrhea and cramping, or is that not a good idea?

kabowman Explorer

I just accidentlly "got glutened" for the first time since August 2004 - we were having sandwhiches, and not wanting to leave me out of the whole thing, I planned to make my own bread, well, I got busy and forgot to bake it. So, I made my bread, popped it into the oven, then ran into the health food store because there was no way mine would be ready in time for dinner.

I found a bread that was Wheat Alternative and Yeast Free - Yea! I have never heard of Kamut. Well, I was sick as a dog by the next morning and in between runing to the bathroom, I looked up Kamut in my gluten-free Cookbooks and find out "it is to be avoided since it is another type of wheat" well - needless to say, I threw the whole loaf away and was angry at my own supidity.

By the way, my baked bread then came out and is not making me sick!!!! Stupid...

McDougall Apprentice

"It seems like the longer I try to stay gluten-free, the more sensitive I become to the crap. "

This is clearly how it works. My point. Be careful and feel good:-) Aloha

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

McDougall Apprentice

"Its fine to rant - I do too! I have had this thing for over 6 years - if Im not mistaken may have had it while I was growing up but last 3 years have been dreadful! I have only been gluten-free for 5 days and feel amazing but last night I had an accident - and I am sick today and cant go out of the house at all - you feel like kicking yourself dont you? its prob not as bad as yours sounds but still it takes over you life! I would never touch gluten again no matter what any doctor saya - even the smell of once loved bread makes me heave! And ive only been gluten-free for 5 days!! unbelievable isnt it! Im glad to hear that you got to go on a trip tho - you can do it again, for sure!!!!! Take care :"

We are born with it... Email me anytime, I remember real good how 5 days gluten-free felt, higi@higittiki.com

McDougall Apprentice

"One gluten mistake can send you right in a tailspin. I get sick for about 2 weeks and it's torture. I have noticed it really just sets your body back...your body has to fight this. For some people it can take numerous weeks to get back on track after a "gluten poisoning".

Feel better soon "

cmom Contributor

Jeri, Even though I am gluten-free, I still do take Imodium. Actually, I take the brand from Sam's Club b/c it is the same strength (2 mg loperamide). I have had so many unexpected "attacks" resulting in mad dashes to the bathroom that I have become paranoid about it. Sometimes I made it and sometimes I didn't and those are the times that have warped my psyche. I don't take it if I'm going to be at home, otherwise, yes. It helps me lead a somewhat normal life. :rolleyes:

amyfeistel Newbie
I did something dumb the other night, made tacos .... used corn hard shells, checked the taco sauce and it was ok....forgot to check the seasoning packet - it must have had gluten because I have been sick for two days. My son at a pop tart and left crumbs on the counter, I brushed them into the garbage with my hand and now my finger has itchy bumps on it. It seems like the longer I try to stay gluten-free, the more sensitive I become to the crap. Do any of you take Imodium for the diarrhea and cramping, or is that not a good idea?

Hi!

I have discovered that the longer I am gluten-free, the more sensitive I am when gluten does enter my diet accidentally. I usually respond with sickness within a 1/2 hour. My physician believes this is tied to the auto-immune part of celiac disease, meaning that the antibodies are not present because I have been on a gluten-free diet. This means a more severe response by my immune system when gluten is presented in the body.

To answer your other question, I take charcoal for the diarrhea. It is much less constipating than Immodium or other OTC stuff.

Anyway, I am religious about my gluten-free diet. However, I have had a very busy 5 weeks with travel (for work) and other stuff. I have inadvertently eaten something with gluten in it for 5 weeks straight. I can only assume that I'm being given misinformation when I ask questions, etc.

I'm so bummed by this. I'm exhausted and I ache all over. And, I'm really pissed right now for even having celiac disease! (It's been 30 years since my diagnosis.)

AUGH!!

Thanks for letting me vent!

jknnej Collaborator

I take Immodium when I have diarrhea and it is a God send. As long as I don't take too much it doesn't make me constipated.

jen-schall Rookie

what should you do if you just ate some by mistake? I ate about half a bag of Doritos before I realized they changed the ingredients to add wheat flour - my stupid mistake - but now what? I can't reach my doctors, I tried unsuccessfully to throw the food up when I first realized. It was about an hour ago and the only symptoms I have (other than panic) is a burning feeling in my stomach. what should i do? are there things that can help, or make the damage less?????

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Basically you have to let the reaction run its course. Accidents happen so try not to worry about it too much just be more careful next time. It's not like you knew you were glutening yourself. Some dorito flavors are gluten free but I know the nacho cheese kind we can't have.

Try drinking some teas to sooth the stomach...pump yourself with vitamins too. Also being on probiotics and enzymes might help your body as well.

Guest nini

if I get accidentally glutened I rely on immodium or pepto, and I also take probiotics and digestive enzymes. I've also found that drinking plenty of water helps tremendously. Funny, I get major panic attacks when I get glutened too.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast
Funny, I get major panic attacks when I get glutened too.

I get major anxiety when I am glutened too.

• 2 weeks later...
cornbread Explorer

Reading this, I feel so (relatively!) lucky that I don't get sick to my stomach from gluten mistakes, although I get bloating and a stomach tightness, followed by 24-48 hours of severe brain fog and exhaustion, and I get depressed and incredibly irritable and usually an excema/acne breakout too. That all sucks of course, but I do not have to run to the bathroom and I know that if the stomach tightness kicks it's like a warning, and I have about 12 hours before the other stuff starts to happen, so I can usually plan the next day around it. :lol:

pamelaws Newbie
what should you do if you just ate some by mistake?  I ate about half a bag of Doritos before I realized they changed the ingredients to add wheat flour - my stupid mistake - but now what?  I can't reach my doctors, I tried unsuccessfully to throw the food up when I first realized.  It was about an hour ago and the only symptoms I have (other than panic) is a burning feeling in my stomach.  what should i do?  are there things that can help, or make the damage less?????

[FONT=Geneva]If you have some good (plant based), broad spectrum digestive enzymes, these will help the offending food break down faster and therefore move through your system quicker. I don't think you could take too many...so take 5 or 6 for the emergency. Ongoing, they'll help you digest and assimilate all foods. Another good idea, ongoing, are probiotics. Either a broad spectrum all in one type or Acidophilus and Bifidus seperately. Both are important as they function in a synergistic way.

B) pamela

Archived