This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Glutened By Amy's?

tmack

tmack Newbie

This is the second time I have been glutened by Amy's. I do not say this lightly, After I felt better I ate anything new from that day(wanted to make sure of the source). I have eaten there NO GLUTEN INGREDIENTS frozen meals three times, two of which I was glutened. It was not severe, I was only sick for 2 days, with the lingering gut problems for 8 days. If I get a lot of gluten it will take me out for 5 days or so( plus the lingering gut problems). Just wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem, or is it just me?

I'm wondering if it is some other kind of food that I'm having problems with. I have to watch my lactose, but my symptoms were just like being glutened?

Thanks for any help ;)

Trina

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Piccolo Apprentice

Trina,

Yes, Amy's got me too. :o It was some time ago. I had a delayed response and the room was spinning for 6 hours. I'm never touching anything by that company again.

Susan

Northern Celiac Newbie
This is the second time I have been glutened by Amy's. I do not say this lightly, After I felt better I ate anything new from that day(wanted to make sure of the source). I have eaten there NO GLUTEN INGREDIENTS frozen meals three times, two of which I was glutened. It was not severe, I was only sick for 2 days, with the lingering gut problems for 8 days. If I get a lot of gluten it will take me out for 5 days or so( plus the lingering gut problems). Just wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem, or is it just me?

I'm wondering if it is some other kind of food that I'm having problems with. I have to watch my lactose, but my symptoms were just like being glutened?

Thanks for any help ;)

Trina

Trina, there can be hidden sources of gluten in amy's products. I know from reasearch and from personal experience with other products. If you can get a copy you need to read a book called dangerous grains. It explains about hidden sources of gluten

ksymonds84 Enthusiast

Thanks for any help ;)

Trina

My G.I. warned me about Amy's, his wife and son are celiac and he said they had issue's with Amy's.

6ft6 Newbie

I can count on Amy's to make me sick every time. So now I don't buy the products. I despise the ccompany.

modiddly16 Enthusiast

I stopped eating Amy's after my first year with the disease (I'm on year 6)...it never failed that every time I ate it I'd get sick. While I appreciate their effort to be "gluten-free"...it still makes me wonder what it is making so many people still sick!

Glamour Explorer

I ate some Amy's gluten-free dinners also and was itchy. But my ankles were swollen also, so I though it was too much salt in them.

I heard that Trader Joes carries some dinners that are made by amy's, don't know if it is true.

No more Amy's for me, too expensive, I only bought them because they were on sale.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ciavyn Contributor

I had a severe reaction immediately after ingesting their products. So yes, I agree - definitely something in those meals!

mysecretcurse Contributor

Yes, Amy's stuff also makes me not feel good. It's been ages but I remember being glutened by them a long time ago. I stay away from ANY processed foods now.

AnneM Apprentice

Yes I have been glutened twice by Amys frozen dinners, It's a shame because they are something quick and tasty to eat. I am not buying them anymore. :(

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

Just thought I would chime in to say that I do not get sick from Amy's food BUT I have never really eaten the ones that say "no gluten ingredients." Plus, I also only eat the dairy-free ones.

Mtndog Collaborator

In the past, I have reacted to Amy's. I contacted them and they were incredibly great to deal with. They sent a sample off to the lab at the University of Nebraska for me to be tested from a batch I reacted to. It came back at 33 ppm.

I now eat their rice crust pizza because it is never a problem for me.

You may react to their products, but at least they are one of the honest, upfront companies that discloses ALL their ingredients and manufacturing processes. The products labeled "no gluten ingredients" do not have gluten but any processed food is subject to CC.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

My son reacted to their rice pizza once. I called them and it had been tested to contain less than 5 ppm gluten. I was disappointed to find out that my son is so sensitive to trace levels of gluten.

Mey Marie Explorer

Thanks for any help ;)

Trina

It's not just you. My friend has the same problem with Amy's. It sucks because they really have some great stuff.

Mey Marie Explorer
Trina,

Yes, Amy's got me too. :o It was some time ago. I had a delayed response and the room was spinning for 6 hours. I'm never touching anything by that company again.

Susan

That's it. I am going to write the company. I think we all should. This is not OK. If they want to say in business, They need all of us. If they start to lose the people who use celiac.com Then they are losing a large part of there customer base.

tmack Newbie

Thanks so much for the help, all of you are great. It makes me realize I'm not alone. :D

I think for me the part that bothers me the most is that the labeling (to me) is misleading. I fell like they are purposly trying to mislead you by the way they word it. I don't know about ya'll but it is like gambling, will I get sick, maybe, maybe not. I'm not into rolling the dice!!

I roll the dice every time I eat anything processed. How does gluten free mean up to 20 ppm gluten?

Mtndog Collaborator

I think under 20 ppm is impossible to detect via current testing methods.

gaingus Rookie
I heard that Trader Joes carries some dinners that are made by amy's, don't know if it is true.

I have bought Trader Joe's Rice Pasta and Cheese (I think thats the name of it), when I looked at the Powdered cheese envelope, I noticed it was stamped for Amy's product. Course I didn't look until too late. I ended up with the same reaction that I did for the same product with the Amy's label so I don't buy either of those products anymore.

Kathleen Smith Contributor

I get sick everytime I eat Amys Gluten Free Frozen lunch/dinner and the Soup!!!! I get really nauseous for a couple hours.

I am Gluten free since April but had some issues in August from that took a while to recover from. I was thinking I was getting sick from Amy's b/c my stomach probably isnt healed yet and it couldnt handle anything "processed" b/c AMys is the only pre-prepared meals I eat.

Amy's was my "emergency" food (when I forgot to make my lunch or too late to cook dinner), but if you all are saying it is gluten then I wont buy from them anymore. Its not about just being nauseous its about healing my stomach. .......sneaky.

passionfruit877 Apprentice

I like the enchilada meal (the dairy free one) and haven't had a problem. Perhaps there are certain ones that are riskier than others.

Tigercat17 Enthusiast

I haven't noticed a reaction either, but I was only eating the frozen mac & cheese. I really liked it! Now I'm afraid to eat it. I definitely won't try the others now. That's really too bad so many people are having a reaction. There must be some gluten in them. I guess gluten free doesn't mean "gluten free." That's just crazy! I do think we should all write and call the company. That's just putting people's health at risk!

Gfresh404 Enthusiast

I guess I'll consider myself one of the lucky ones. I have never had a problem with any of Amy's products. I do only eat the gluten-free and non-dairy ones, maybe that has something to do with it?

Cynbd Contributor

I have been gluten free for more than three years now. Early on I found I had reactions to Amy's and decided to stay away from them. I have a tiny variety of foods that I eat every day, a gluten free kitchen, and as many of you, over a long process of elimination (including never eating at restaurants, or anything that anyone else made), I have not been sick in almost a year, until this week. Over the past two years I probably have been sick only a couple of times.

Over the past couple of months I started eating Amy's again, only the gluten free, dairy free Mexican dishes -- and yesterday I was sick. I think I had a few stomach pangs after eating Amy's over the past couple of months' however, I did not get sick, but yesterday knocked me out and today I am feeling iffy. I am wondering if I have been having mild reactions to Amy's, since I have been so good for so long, and the last meal caught me- I made it up and over into the bad reaction threshold.

It really does concern me that when I am feeling good for so long that I may be slowly poisoning myself with Amy's foods. I will not purchase any more of those convenient meals. I am going to stick with my instincts when it comes to certain foods.

Merry Christmas- Happy Holidays to all!

I think under 20 ppm is impossible to detect via current testing methods.

When I contacted Amy's to tell them that their rice pizza has glutened my son, they told me that it had been tested to contain less than 5 ppm gluten. The tests that they use test to 5 ppm. That is under 20 ppm. Crispy Green told me by e-mail that they test to 5 ppm, and Tropical Source on label says that they test to 5 ppm. The New Grist beer company told me by e-mail that they have their beer tested to 5 ppm at the University of Nebraska.

Archived