This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Fatigue, Hunger And Blurry Vision

karlsthlm

karlsthlm Newbie

Hi everyone,

My name is Karl, living in Sweden and just recently found this site.

I've got my Dx way back in -74 but was told around -90 that it could actually heal permanently so as a stubborn teenager, I ran off to get a Pizza...

This kept going until -05 when my fiance told me to get a grip of myself and re-start the gluten-free diet.

Since then, I'm on a strict gluten-free-diet, I've been rushed to the ER a couple of times with pain that I would compare to being stabbed with a knife.

If there's an exam available, I've done it.

My problem(s) today is apart from occasional diare, pain, extreme fatigue, extreme hunger and heavy pain unless I eat every 2 hours.

And my real problem is that the doctors are giving up on me...

But recently, I started to experience blurry vision, this occurs most of the time when I havent eaten a lot and it's not diabetic/bs-related and it only lasts for maybe a minute or two but I get all dizzy and unless I sit down, I tend to fall. First couple of times, it was really scary but then I started to get used to the feeling.

Has anyone else had these symptoms and if so, what was the diagnose?

Thanks in advance,

Karl

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mommida Enthusiast

Hello Karl,

As a Celiac you will have difficulty absorbing nutrients from the food you eat. If your iron is low (anemia) that would cause you to feel dizzy. If your iron levels are low you could have an urge to eat non food items (most common - to want to chew ice) this is called pica.

Another common vitamin defiency that might cause nuerological problems is vitamin B12.

Are you eating "gluten free" foods that use the European codex rating rating?

karlsthlm Newbie

Hi there,

Accordingly to the bloodsamples, all my vitamines and so on are normal.

Nothing showed up on the CT, nor the MRI. The only thing that showed up was an extra "Bile duct" (not sure about the name though).

Since I'm having these problems, I'm extremely strict in following the diet, I.e. not even products with traces are allowed and since a couple of months ago, I'm not eating out, only homecooked meals made by myself so I'm 100% sure that there's no traces.

A year ago, I made a meal-diary to count the kcals I eat and I my average was slightly above 12.000 per day. Not gaining any weight (65kg / 176cm) and I'm not an athelete and still, being tired and all.

I do excercise everyday, walks about 1.5h per day (got dogs).

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

/Karl

Hello Karl,

As a Celiac you will have difficulty absorbing nutrients from the food you eat. If your iron is low (anemia) that would cause you to feel dizzy. If your iron levels are low you could have an urge to eat non food items (most common - to want to chew ice) this is called pica.

Another common vitamin defiency that might cause nuerological problems is vitamin B12.

Are you eating "gluten free" foods that use the European codex rating rating?

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I get blurred vision when I eat trace gluten by accident.

karlsthlm Newbie

Thing is that the blurry vision for me is (as I guess) neurologic because it occurs at random and 99% of the time prior to actually getting the stuff into my mouth, it kind of happens when I open the jaws...

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Thing is that the blurry vision for me is (as I guess) neurologic because it occurs at random and 99% of the time prior to actually getting the stuff into my mouth, it kind of happens when I open the jaws...

If this happens when you open your jaw I would see a dentist. They might be able to help figure out what is going on. It also wouldn't hurt to give some sublingual B12 a try. How is your blood pressure? Is it on the low side? Are you drinking enough water?

karlsthlm Newbie

Been to the dentist, nothing special such as nerves or such.

Sublingual B12 you said....

Bloodpressure, guess a bit high since I'm stressed out because of my gut.

I'm drinking ok with water.

If this happens when you open your jaw I would see a dentist. They might be able to help figure out what is going on. It also wouldn't hurt to give some sublingual B12 a try. How is your blood pressure? Is it on the low side? Are you drinking enough water?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 months later...
Jeaner Newbie

I saw on Dr. Oz's TV Show on Friday (2/26/10) a question from a lady with Celiac and she was asking about fatigue. He agreed and mentioned something (drug?, supplement??)

called Elcornatine?? Alcornadine?? Hard to hear. Looked in Web MD and found nothing! Anyone heard of this and what it it? Thank You!! Jeaner

blancasagro Newbie

I get blurry vision all the time, and some very bright vision too, MRI EKG everything ok, my neurologist insist that I'm ok but I'm looking for second opinion. Things are getting better since I quit other foods like dairy, artificial colors and flavors, processed meats. I had b12, magnesium, iron all check up, but believe me if I eat one M&M i will get totally crazy so I think is mostly the artificial colors

bluebonnet Explorer

I saw on Dr. Oz's TV Show on Friday (2/26/10) a question from a lady with Celiac and she was asking about fatigue. He agreed and mentioned something (drug?, supplement??)

called Elcornatine?? Alcornadine?? Hard to hear. Looked in Web MD and found nothing! Anyone heard of this and what it it? Thank You!! Jeaner

i heard this too and i know it was a mineral supplement. i record dr oz so i will look back and see if i didn't delete it!

bluebonnet Explorer

i was told it had something to do with blood sugar levels. if they drop to low or whatever it tends to cause dizziness and blurry vision. i don't have diabetes but it does make sense. hope you feel better! :)

coffeetime Explorer

Thank you for remembering the episode. I pulled it up and it is called L-caratine (sp?) It helps with fat metabolism which helps in energy production. It makes sense since we can't absorb fat or the vitamins that go with it, at least before our intestinal linings are healed. I'm already on an Antioxidant, iron, B-complex, fish oil, and iron supplement,(for the last month) I'm still exhausted so I think I will give it a try. By the way I was having the dizzness and blurry vision, I thought diabetes too but it turned out to be heart palpitations that I think is related to celiac (cardiologist hasn't decided why yet)

i heard this too and i know it was a mineral supplement. i record dr oz so i will look back and see if i didn't delete it!

chasbari Apprentice

I think the supplement is actually L-Carnatine. See if you find anything that way. I, too, experience blurred vision and sometimes slurred speech if I go too long without calorie intake. I have reason to believe I am having fat malabsorption problems. Sounds like you have a very high caloric intake which seems to me to indicate a lot of healing needing to go on, especially if you are not getting enough protein to go with all the calories. Just suppositioning, though. My visual clarity really changes throughout the day and sometimes doesn't seem to be linked to any particular pattern of sleeping/eating. Anyone else having similar experiences?

Anna and Marie Newbie

I think the supplement is actually L-Carnatine. See if you find anything that way. I, too, experience blurred vision and sometimes slurred speech if I go too long without calorie intake. I have reason to believe I am having fat malabsorption problems. Sounds like you have a very high caloric intake which seems to me to indicate a lot of healing needing to go on, especially if you are not getting enough protein to go with all the calories. Just suppositioning, though. My visual clarity really changes throughout the day and sometimes doesn't seem to be linked to any particular pattern of sleeping/eating. Anyone else having similar experiences?

I also experience blurred vision and speech too long w/ out calorie intake. The speech thing- this is kinda different but my tongue swells and lips don't move very well, been told it could be a thyroid issue(hypothyroidism)but that hasn't been confirmed by a doctor yet. Does anyone have a history w/ thyroid issues?

GFinDC Veteran

Hi everyone,

My name is Karl, living in Sweden and just recently found this site.

I've got my Dx way back in -74 but was told around -90 that it could actually heal permanently so as a stubborn teenager, I ran off to get a Pizza...

This kept going until -05 when my fiance told me to get a grip of myself and re-start the gluten-free diet.

Since then, I'm on a strict gluten-free-diet, I've been rushed to the ER a couple of times with pain that I would compare to being stabbed with a knife.

If there's an exam available, I've done it.

My problem(s) today is apart from occasional diare, pain, extreme fatigue, extreme hunger and heavy pain unless I eat every 2 hours.

And my real problem is that the doctors are giving up on me...

But recently, I started to experience blurry vision, this occurs most of the time when I havent eaten a lot and it's not diabetic/bs-related and it only lasts for maybe a minute or two but I get all dizzy and unless I sit down, I tend to fall. First couple of times, it was really scary but then I started to get used to the feeling.

Has anyone else had these symptoms and if so, what was the diagnose?

Thanks in advance,

Karl

Hi Karl,

It's good that you have started eating safe meals you cook yourself. At least that way you can control what goes into your body, and identify the ingredients that may cause problems. I assume you have eliminated all the possible gluten in your coffee, tea, soda, beer, medicines, and any vitamins you take.

I used to sometimes sort of pass out. And sometimes just got woozy feeling. Vision was variable too, basically hard to focus. I did get an EKG but they said my brain was working ok, which surprised me1 :-)

This all was mostly last year. Since then I haven't had any actual pass out episodes and seldom get the woozy feeling. The difference is I started taking a thyroid supplement and eliminated soy from my diet. I had been very low soy already, but getting rid of all of it made a big difference. I have even reduced my thyroid supplements to only every other day or so this year.

So, I suggest you look into other possible food intolerances. They are not uncommon in celiacs on this board. And other intolerances can have a very big affect on you.

• 2 weeks later...
jayson182 Newbie

What about Hypoglycemia?

I am gluten intolerant and have Hypoglycemia - if I go too long without eating specifically a long time after eating something high on the glycemic index my vision can blur slightly or get sensitive to light. This also happens if I exercise without having eaten in a awhile.

CreatewithKim Newbie

My vision is worsening steadily. Diagnosed Gluten Intolerant Jan 13, 2010. Called by Gastro last week and told I have Celiac. I meet with him on Monday.

I know only my ferritn level, 5.

I want to ask my Gastro who I go to next to get nutrient testing ad who do I work with to improve absorption.

Currently experiencing: fatigue, muscle aches, tinglies,I reach for cupbard to open them and hit them or miss them--possible ataxia. I am dizzy at times, too. I get od fevers or flushes and shakes in the mornign until noon after possible exposures to gluten, and dairy.

To the person with blurred vision. Is this always with dizziness--how is your vision over all.

For me it is a steady decline in vision for reading.

mommida Enthusiast

My vision is worsening steadily. Diagnosed Gluten Intolerant Jan 13, 2010. Called by Gastro last week and told I have Celiac. I meet with him on Monday.

I know only my ferritn level, 5.

I want to ask my Gastro who I go to next to get nutrient testing ad who do I work with to improve absorption.

Currently experiencing: fatigue, muscle aches, tinglies,I reach for cupbard to open them and hit them or miss them--possible ataxia. I am dizzy at times, too. I get od fevers or flushes and shakes in the mornign until noon after possible exposures to gluten, and dairy.

To the person with blurred vision. Is this always with dizziness--how is your vision over all.

For me it is a steady decline in vision for reading.

Hi Marquette!

You have symptoms of vitamin B12 defiency.

Vitamin A has a link to vision as well as a cocktail of fish oil, ?, ? (sorry I can't remember the exact 3 things that should be taken together.)

Does any one actually eat liver? There are too many warnings of toxin and heavy metal contamination for me, so basically the vitamins and minerals need to be supplemented.

mommida Enthusiast

Pernicious anemia can also be something you should look up. It can be caused from undercooked fish too.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

My blurred vision was constant before diagnosis. I didn't get dizzy much. I couldn't read well either. Glasses helped a bit but not much. It went away after I was gluten free for about 3 months. My vision went from 20:40 to 20:20. I stopped wearing the glasses. The blurriness still comes back with trace gluten consumption, and I return to the glasses for a few days.

I do believe that the blurriness is a neurological effect because my ophthalmologist said that she could still see the astigmatism and that she couldn't explain the reason for my vision improvement.

Archived