This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How To Clean Gluten Contamination.

jackay

jackay Enthusiast

I am stressed to the max with concerns of gluten contamination. Not one thing in my house is free of possible contamination, from my gluten free foods to my sewing machine. I can't afford to start from scratch with everything. I feel the only way to do that would be to have a brand new home or live in a bubble. Actually, I don't think either of those would work for me either. I am just too forgetful to be careful.

So, what is the best way to clean. I am living with brain fog and just realized all the hot pad holders in our house must be full of flour from baking. I just opened the drawer and it is full of rat poison. Oh, I mean crumbs! Is there a difference? Possibly rat poison would be less harmful to someone gluten intolerant. I put everything in the wash but wonder if even laundering will make them gluten free. There sure were a lot of crumbs in that drawer. How do I get rid of the crumbs and feel confident that there is no longer a trace of gluten?

I wear a lot of fleece and that has to be a gluten magnet. If I remember to be careful super and wash my hands before eating, wash my utensils, etc., I may still have gluten contact from clothing. I live in the midwest and baby it's cold outside. I can't wear short sleeves or I'll freeze.

Also, I need tips on all general cleaning. How can I make sure everything is clean. I feel like I am just pushing around gluten. I've read the tips to have my own cupboard, pots, pans, etc. but how do I keep them from not getting contaminated?

I do think I'd get a better grip on this if my brain fog wasn't so bad. I'm forgetting to be careful about washing my hands which is why everything in my house is possibly contaminated. How can I get my husband to be careful when I myself am not????

Also, our local grocery stores don't have gluten free sections. I'm concerned that anything I pick up in the grocery store, including fresh product, is possibly contaminated. If the product starts out gluten free, the packages have a good change of getting contaminated from where and how they are shipped, to where thye sit on the shelves, to how they get on the shelves, to how they cross the conveyor belt for check out and how the cashier's hands touch them. The list could go on and on. Am I being overly paranoid? I know I am so I need reassurance.

I appreciate any hints, even if they sound so simple and are repeated over and over. This brain fog is so bad that I may have already posted a similar topic and not even remember. I know I just wrote one up, hit preview post and then arrowed back. I believe it got deleted.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

Take a deep breath and relax. You will be fine. General cleaning will be fine. You may need to replace a few items, vacuum drawers and cabinets but you don't need to burn down the house. Your house will be rid of the gluten over time not over night. Do not worry about your clothes unless you roll around in a tub of flour.

Getting your dh (other family members/friends) to understand about cross contamination might be the hardest thing you have ahead of you. They will either get it or not. Your approach will carry a lot of weight on how they decide to handle this new gluten free life. Just calming start replacing the gluten items in your house with gluten-free.

Being gluten free is for health reasons and is most important. Period.

Think of gluten as a virus. Try to avoid it but remember sometimes it will catch you. No problem if it does, just get well and keep going on with your healthy life.

I do suggest having a gluten free kitchen. It really helps. There isn't much that can't be made gluten free. People eating gluten free do not have to 'do without' anything. It just takes a little creative thinking to adjust your normal recipes. People/kids who are not gluten free will not be harmed by eating gluten free. They can eat their poison food out of the house.

You will do fine.

Mey Marie Explorer
I am stressed to the max with concerns of gluten contamination. Not one thing in my house is free of possible contamination, from my gluten free foods to my sewing machine. I can't afford to start from scratch with everything. I feel the only way to do that would be to have a brand new home or live in a bubble. Actually, I don't think either of those would work for me either. I am just too forgetful to be careful.

So, what is the best way to clean. I am living with brain fog and just realized all the hot pad holders in our house must be full of flour from baking. I just opened the drawer and it is full of rat poison. Oh, I mean crumbs! Is there a difference? Possibly rat poison would be less harmful to someone gluten intolerant. I put everything in the wash but wonder if even laundering will make them gluten free. There sure were a lot of crumbs in that drawer. How do I get rid of the crumbs and feel confident that there is no longer a trace of gluten?

I wear a lot of fleece and that has to be a gluten magnet. If I remember to be careful super and wash my hands before eating, wash my utensils, etc., I may still have gluten contact from clothing. I live in the midwest and baby it's cold outside. I can't wear short sleeves or I'll freeze.

Also, I need tips on all general cleaning. How can I make sure everything is clean. I feel like I am just pushing around gluten. I've read the tips to have my own cupboard, pots, pans, etc. but how do I keep them from not getting contaminated?

I do think I'd get a better grip on this if my brain fog wasn't so bad. I'm forgetting to be careful about washing my hands which is why everything in my house is possibly contaminated. How can I get my husband to be careful when I myself am not????

Also, our local grocery stores don't have gluten free sections. I'm concerned that anything I pick up in the grocery store, including fresh product, is possibly contaminated. If the product starts out gluten free, the packages have a good change of getting contaminated from where and how they are shipped, to where thye sit on the shelves, to how they get on the shelves, to how they cross the conveyor belt for check out and how the cashier's hands touch them. The list could go on and on. Am I being overly paranoid? I know I am so I need reassurance.

I appreciate any hints, even if they sound so simple and are repeated over and over. This brain fog is so bad that I may have already posted a similar topic and not even remember. I know I just wrote one up, hit preview post and then arrowed back. I believe it got deleted.

You said there isn't a Gluten free section in your stores around you. Then you should write a letter and let them know They could lose your business. Even some Large corporations really want to try to make us happy.

For now you might be able to find a health food store near you. If you have a Trader Joe's, They have LOTS of stuff gluten-free. Also I make a lot of my own ingredients. Like a rue or cream of mushroom soup. Then I freeze Them for when I need them in a recipe. Tomato past... so on.

Good luck. You can do this. We all can. We all work together. It's ok to be overwhelmed. We all have been at one time or another over this.

Silverfox Newbie

I just found out my daughter has been diagnosed with Celiac. she is very upset and so am . looking at these postings I have not seen any help on what to use in cleaning your home espically the kitchen. are there certain cleaners to stay away from. do you have to replace all pots, pans, skillets to not cross contamination. I want to support her also here at my home. so I agree with the others who has posted and need help also.

Silverfox

jackay Enthusiast

Thanks for the responses. I do feel my dh would be more supportive if I felt better. I have no energy to do this cleaning. For 15 years I have tried getting my health back so I'm sure he feels this is just another one of my attempts that will fizzle out.

The one local store does have gluten free items in their health food section. They are carrying more and more gluten free foods but don't put them in one spot. Guess I'll really have to work on them for that. Two of the employees in that department are friends of mine so that may help. They would expand their health foods but are so limited with space. I don't feel there is enough demand here.

Giving up favorite foods sure was a lot easier than trying not to cross contaminate.

My dh plans on baking cookies tomorrow. He did agree to clean up good afterwards and make sure that towels and hot pad holders go directly in the wash. I got one drawer cleaned out so I am making a little headway. Baby steps, baby steps :)

celiac-mommy Collaborator

Not to freak you out more, but I can't even bake with gluten anymore. The dust it creates in the air is breathed in, and inadvertently ingested when you swallow. It made my dd very sick.

YoloGx Rookie

If you choose to cook basic foods from scratch you will avoid getting glutened from the store. In other words buy: raw green vegetables, real (unprocessed) meat, raw root vegetables, raw fruit, whole brown rice in plastic bags.

Its a whole lot better for you and way less expensive than prepackaged, sugary, starchy gluten free foods.

If you want to lose the brain fog, this is the quickest way to get there. Save the starchy/sugary items for special occasions. Your body has already been trounced enough.

Bea

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jackay Enthusiast

Please, please, please help me with cleaning tips!

My home has over fifty years of gluten. The past fifteen years I have not done a good job cleaning because of fatigue. I feel every single thing in every room is possibly contaminated, from the handle on the toilet to the clothes dryer to the light switches. How do I get the gluten out of and off of things? I keep washing my hands. Is that enough? I quit wearing rings so gluten can't collect there. My hands are reallly chapped so I figure gluten will collect in the cracks from contact. I am actually learning to keep my hands away from my mouth but haven't broken the habit of rubbing my itchy nose and then accidentally touching my lips or fearing gluten is on my sleeve and will drop to my lips.

I hope to start feeling better so I can attach this gluten. I will get rid of the teflon, collander, plastics and cutting boards to start.

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

Relax. You will be fine.

To get your house cleaned without wearing yourself out, try flylady's method. I started her method to prove her wrong. No one can keep them house clean by cleaning only 15 a day. Sure am glad I was wrong. It will not happen over night but if you continue you house will shine. Start slowly it will all come together and you will be so proud.

Open Original Shared Link

jackay Enthusiast

I never thought of that myself. My daughter-in-law lives by flylady. I'll have to give that a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Archived