This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Udi's Mystery-- Oh No! Help!

Lisa16

jerseyangel Proficient

I so agree. How can they say that certain levels are safe when they have excluded those for whom they weren't safe!!

It's as if those who are more sensitive than the norm don't count.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AndrewNYC Explorer

ANY preservatives or processed food ingredients will aggravate GERD. Eat natural foods all day long like fresh fruit, fresh vegetables, and meat and you will be as close to rid as GERD as you will ever be. This bread is heavily processed.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

It's as if those who are more sensitive than the norm don't count.

I have felt that way many times. It's not a good feeling.

Skylark Collaborator

That's my understanding too, if you can't stick to it throughout the study, they don't count you in the results. pretty stupid system if you ask me. It's almost like saying, if you absolutely have an incredibly negative reaction, we won't include you in the study results. Whats the point then? Stupid.

Suggesting that you should analyze something for which you have no data is equally stupid, if not more so. People who drop from studies are ALWAYS reported as part of the analysis. That's why I mentioned them. Are you suggesting it would be preferable to invent data???

In a paper, you report exactly what you see. "Subject #4 was feeling unwell and declined the biopsy" may be all you can say because the rules on clinical trials allow people to drop out at any time for any reason. More often than not, they just don't show up. The researchers who managed to find out their subjects dropped because they were feeling nauseous from the codex bread did an unusually good job.

Skylark Collaborator

I have felt that way many times. It's not a good feeling.

Perhaps people who are more sensitive than the norm and feel left out need to work hard to make themselves available for clinical trials. Recruiting people willing to participate in clinical trials is brutally hard, and keeping people in the trial even harder. With all the bad behavior I've seen from people in studies it's a wonder we get clinical data at all. :rolleyes:

dilettantesteph Collaborator

Perhaps people who are more sensitive than the norm and feel left out need to work hard to make themselves available for clinical trials. Recruiting people willing to participate in clinical trials is brutally hard, and keeping people in the trial even harder. With all the bad behavior I've seen from people in studies it's a wonder we get clinical data at all. :rolleyes:

Actually, being a scientist, I have always been interested in those clinical trials. I also live near a medical center. I always check them out, but I hardly ever find one that I am qualified for. I don't only look at the celiac ones either. They are often quite specific in their requirements Right now my daughter and I are doing one about relationships between teens and parents. She is making some good pocket money.

• 2 weeks later...
txplowgirl Enthusiast

Ate Udi's bread a few weeks ago and broke out in a rash within 30 minutes. The potato starch got me. Uuuuhhhh.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 7 years later...
Michelle Barnes Newbie

I too had a terrible reaction of stomach upset when i eat Udi's gluten-free bread products.  I am not diagnosed as celiac either.    It's difficult enough getting gluten-free bread products in a restaurant let alone having to ask them what brand they carry.  Very frustrating.   I find the glutino products the best.  But let me tell ya, my stomach is cranky and anything can set me off sometimes, i.e. lactose, oils, chocolate etc.

• 2 years later...
Gluten on the Ritz Newbie

I just found this thread after searching google for Udi's and stomach problems. I am gluten intolerant but not full-blown celiac. Udi's bread and cookies seem to make me desperately ill. Not just stomach problems, but joint flare ups, migraine, crippling pain and exhaustion, even fever. Like many people here, I've read the Udi's labels and don't see anything on them that has caused the same reactions in other foods. I eat xantham gum in other food with no problems, for example. It's a shame, because the Udi's snickerdoodles are my favorites.

• 1 month later...
zenith12 Enthusiast
On 1/14/2010 at 7:52 AM, Lisa16 said:

I recently discovered the wonder of Udi's breads. I bought them (both kinds-- but mostly the white b/c the whole grain one kept selling out and I only got one loaf of that)and I ate it for several days as toast in the morning and a sandwich to take to work.

However, I developed progressively worse GERDS symptoms that completely and instantly disappeared when I withdrew the bread (Oh Man! Just when I found something really good too!) I would have acidic burping, some stinky gas and stomach pain. This was not a typical gluten reaction-- I hasten to add. We are not talking multiple bouts of D. But something in this "gets" me.

Soplease let me know what are the likely culprit(s) from the list of ingredients?

I know am allergic to sulfites/sulfates (nearly impossible to avoid completely, though), nitrates, msg and pistachios and casein intolerant.

Ingredients (white bread):

water

tapioca starch

brown rice flour

potato starch

canola oil

egg whites

sugar-- *to this point, I believe we are okay.

yeast

xanthan gum

salt

baking powder (sodium bicarbonate, cornstarch, calcium sulfate,monocalcium phosphate)

cultured dextrose

ascorbic acid (microcrystaline cellulose, corn starch)

enzymes

Thank you in advance! This episode caused many sleepless night and I feel like if I can figure it out, I can solve a big piece of the non-gluten sensitivity puzzle for me.

Lisa

THEIR PRODUCTS are gross. The Freshetta cheese pizza was great. But as you know most celiacs can't tolerate rice or corn so all that food is out for me now. I have allergies to both now and i am celiac.  

cyclinglady Grand Master
1 hour ago, zenith12 said:

THEIR PRODUCTS are gross. The Freshetta cheese pizza was great. But as you know most celiacs can't tolerate rice or corn so all that food is out for me now. I have allergies to both now and i am celiac.  

Most celiacs tolerate rice really well.  It is the “go to” grain for celiacs as recommended by all the celiac research centers.  You are an exception.  Corn, however, is a common Intolerance for many as is soy.  Best to keep a food journal to track symptoms and help identify additional intolerances.