This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help For Dry Skin/rashes

VAGuy

VAGuy Apprentice

I do not have DH but I do have terribly dry skin and problems so I thought I'd toss these out.

Johnson & Johnson First Aid Cream is what I use, almost anything else seems to irritate problem areas. It will act as a moisturizer and aids healing, and is not real greasy.

Lanacane has a similar vehicle or base, but contains something that acts like a mild anesthetic.

If the skin is only dry, with no rash or whatever I use Vaseline Intensive Care Lotion - some others seem to bother.

Minimizing contact with water can help also, chlorine acts as a drying agent, and the ph levels of water vary quite a bit - even rinsing my hair daily sends my scalp into orbit.

• 10 months later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

chronic Newbie

I have DH along with the other symptoms but one that hasn't been addressed by anyone else is mouth and back of the throat blisters. Do any of the readers have this exrtreme problem. Chronic

flagbabyds Collaborator

FOr really dry skin I use Carmol 10

• 2 months later...
snoopylian Apprentice

a friend of mine told me that her son's orthodontist told her...toothpaste has SLS - sodium lauryl sulfate in it. The ortho said that some people get ulcers or sores in their mouths because from the SLS. So switch to a toothpaste that doesn't have SLS in it and see if that helps.

• 3 weeks later...
tiny86 Newbie
I have DH along with the other symptoms but one that hasn't been addressed by anyone else is mouth and back of the throat blisters. Do any of the readers have this exrtreme problem. Chronic

Yes have gotten them in my mouth. They are miserable :( . Not sure what to do about them once I get them.

• 4 weeks later...
foodphobic Newbie

You should get a biopsy of your mouth. I didn't know I had celiacs until I woke up one morning with the inside of my mouth all enflamed. Long-story-short...

They did a biopsy, discovered I had Oral Lichen Planus, which is chronic, incurable, and only occurs in people whose immune system is compromised. That promted a lot of tests which finally resulted in my being diagnosed with Celiacs. There is no cure or real treatment for either disease, but if you can get the Celiacs under control, and keep your mouth really clean, there's a chance it will go away on its own.

I have found that using normal toothpastes and mouthwashes aggravates it. Alcohol and peroxide inflame it. Sugar seems to feed it.

If you have little white veins in the lining of your cheeks, blisters, and maybe redness or roughness in places along the gum line, you probably have it, but a biopsy is necessary to rule out cancer, and two other similar diseases that are much more dangerous.

If your doctor diagnoses you with Lichen Planus, there isn't much they can do to help you. What has helped me a lot is using Tea Tree Oil toothpaste and mouthwash that I buy at the health food store. I also make sure I brush, floss and gargle several times a day, and take it easy on sweets. It has dialed it way back and seems to keep it in check. I am working on the Celiacs, and as I get better at avoiding Gluten, I think the lichen planus is losing its grip. It appears to be healing slowly, but it's very aggressive. I have to be dilligent about keeping my mouth clean and limiting my sugar intake. Not easy on a diet based on rice.

I hope you don't have it, but you should definitely see a doctor about it.

Foodphobic.

pixiegirl Enthusiast

Yes do rule out mouth/tongue cancer... my brother has no mouth cancer risk factors, has never smoked and is not and has never been a alcoholic and he is battling mouth cancer right now.... it started with just a small white spot on his tongue, its certainly not common, so don't freak out.... but rule out the bad stuff.

Just as an FYI so far my brother is doing ok!

Susan

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 months later...
chronic Newbie

Thanks for all the messages concerning mouth blisters. For sure I will ask the Doctor about this problem on Monday.

Sometimes my blisters act like a allergy reaction, or at least during regular allergy outbreak. Come to think about it I have both everyday so this isn't really a viable thought.

Chronic :rolleyes:

Archived