This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Kirkland Brand Gluten Free

fortworthmom

fortworthmom Newbie

I am having a terrible time getting Costco to give me a list of Kirkland brand products that are gluten-free!! I love Costco, but they are being very difficult. They will only tell me by specific product, they won't provide a list. i am almost ready to dump my membership!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

I am having a terrible time getting Costco to give me a list of Kirkland brand products that are gluten-free!! I love Costco, but they are being very difficult. They will only tell me by specific product, they won't provide a list. i am almost ready to dump my membership!!

I don't think Costco keeps a gluten-free list. Most Kirkland products are just rebranded mainstream products so you'd have to know if the name brand is gluten-free. For example, Kirkland bacon is Hormel and gluten-free. If you have questions about specific products let us know and we can likely help you out.

missy'smom Collaborator

extra lean sliced ham(rectangular ziplock packaging), canned chicken, canned albacore tuna, frozen turkey burgers are all gluten-free

Dada2hapas Rookie

I agree with the previous posters. Costco doesn't mfr them, and the product's ingredients can change, so it may be difficult to keep an updated gluten-free master list. Also, what they stock varies with store location and with time. My wife always tells me "if you see something at costco you want, just buy it as it may not be there next week."

Lynayah Enthusiast

When I spoke with our local COSTCO, they explained that it is impossible to have a list since manufacturers and ingredients change so frequently. That makes sense to me.

I was particularly interested to see if the Kirkland brand of spices is gluten free, but they were unable to help me, alas.

However, there are a number of products in the store that say gluten-free on the label. In my area, Kirkland (made by Mission) tortilla chips are one, as are the hot, roasted chickens. For the chicken, it says gluten-free on the display sign above the shelves that house the chicken.

Maybe others here will post their favorite COSTCO (Kirkland or otherwise) gluten-free products? Come on, everyone, list what you love!

More from me:

Thick Sliced Bacon (not Kirkland - I do not remember the name of the manufacturer - I will check)

Chobani Greek Fat-Free Yogurt (fruited, low sugar)

Many of the Kirkland Vitamins are labeled gluten-free

Lara Bars

I will post more as I think of them.

Coleslawcat Contributor

When I spoke with our local COSTCO, they explained that it is impossible to have a list since manufacturers and ingredients change so frequently. That makes sense to me.

I was particularly interested to see if the Kirkland brand of spices is gluten free, but they were unable to help me, alas.

However, there are a number of products in the store that say gluten-free on the label. In my area, Kirkland (made by Mission) tortilla chips are one, as are the hot, roasted chickens. For the chicken, it says gluten-free on the display sign above the shelves that house the chicken.

Maybe others here will post their favorite COSTCO (Kirkland or otherwise) gluten-free products? Come on, everyone, list what you love!

More from me:

Thick Sliced Bacon (not Kirkland - I do not remember the name of the manufacturer - I will check)

Chobani Greek Fat-Free Yogurt (fruited, low sugar)

Many of the Kirkland Vitamins are labeled gluten-free

Lara Bars

I will post more as I think of them.

I want to know about the Kirkland minced onion and garlic powder. The containers don't list ingredients at all. That leads me to believe the only ingredients are onion and garlic, but I'm not positive.

I love Costco in general and buy a lot of my food there including

The 10lb bag of Tyson's boneless skinless chicken breasts

Hummus

Kirkland tortilla chips

Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Flour

Bob's Red Mill Quinoa

Big bags of rice

there's a ton more, but that's what I can think of off hand.

Lynayah Enthusiast

I want to know about the Kirkland minced onion and garlic powder. The containers don't list ingredients at all. That leads me to believe the only ingredients are onion and garlic, but I'm not positive.

I love Costco in general and buy a lot of my food there including

The 10lb bag of Tyson's boneless skinless chicken breasts

Hummus

Kirkland tortilla chips

Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Flour

Bob's Red Mill Quinoa

Big bags of rice

there's a ton more, but that's what I can think of off hand.

Minced onion and garlic powder: I wasn't able to get an answer on anything in the spice section. I've purchased minced onion from other sources and have had reactions, even though the packaging didn't list any allergy warnings. I've been sticking to McCormack for both, just to be on the safe side.

How I hope labeling laws continue to get more informative -- we've made progress, just not all the way, yet.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

I am pretty sure the spices are McCormick. I use the garlic powder and ground pepper without issue. Not sure about the minced onions.

Lynayah Enthusiast

I am pretty sure the spices are McCormick. I use the garlic powder and ground pepper without issue. Not sure about the minced onions.

Some actually carry the McCormick label, at least at the COSTCO by me. Do you know if the Kirkland brand is also made by McCormick? That would be wonderful!

• 3 years later...
laerhk Newbie

Anyone drinking Kirkland coffee?  Is it gluten-free too or is there cc issues?  I'm glad it's summer so I can brew my black tea while I wait for an answer! ;)

Nikki2777 Community Regular

For the chicken, it says gluten-free on the display sign above the shelves that house the chicken.

Wait?  Are you talking about the rotisserie chicken?  That would be such good news.  My husband usually does the Costco runs, and I've been wondering about that!

kareng Grand Master

Wait?  Are you talking about the rotisserie chicken?  That would be such good news.  My husband usually does the Costco runs, and I've been wondering about that!

That post was 3 years ago but I think the rotisserie chicken is still gluten-free

Adalaide Mentor

That post was 3 years ago but I think the rotisserie chicken is still gluten-free

It was a week ago!

kareng Grand Master

It was a week ago!

You mean the chicken was gluten-free a week ago!  Psilly me! I thought you said the post was and I kept looking and looking....  :D

I have been meaning to get that chicken.  It would be sooo good in recipes, I'm thinking.

Adalaide Mentor

You mean the chicken was gluten-free a week ago!  Psilly me! I thought you said the post was and I kept looking and looking....  :D

I have been meaning to get that chicken.  It would be sooo good in recipes, I'm thinking.

Hey, I had just rolled out of bed and was doing my early morning bleary eyed roll by. I didn't stop to think that I could be misunderstood. Yes, the chicken was gluten free a week ago. It is great. You can just have chicken for dinner by throwing together a few quick sides and then you can pick off the easy to get rest of it for chicken salad or something. Then... throw the rest in a pot and you have chicken soup! Of course, we're only feeding 2 with a single chicken. With teens in the house you'll be lucky to find a bone left if you just set it on the table for dinner. :lol:

GlutenStinks15 Explorer

The rotisserie chicken is gluten free, and so are the mesquite bbq wings.

I have to say, that although they don't keep a list, when you call the 800 number and give them the item # they can tell you very quickly id something is gluten free or not.

Lesx2 Newbie

Watch out on the chicken if you cannot tolerate nightshades. They started adding paprika recently. So bummed!

Kirkland shampoo and cream rinse are gluten-free, ditto with dog food ( heh, healthier for Fido too).

The Costco magazine has stated that all the Kirkland spices are gluten-free and have never had a problem

The Kirkland version of Immodium says gluten-free, but gave me a severe DH breakouts I think from red dye or maybe iodine?

cyclinglady Grand Master

I use Costo's rotiserriere chicken all the time.  For lunch I pull it off and toss it on a bed of greens, make walnut chicken salad, tortilla soup and other soups, chicken enchilada's and tacos.  It's fast, tasty and for the price I can't really justify turning on my oven.  

• 2 weeks later...
Coryad Rookie

Watch out on the chicken if you cannot tolerate nightshades. They started adding paprika recently.

WHAT???  NO! :o  That explains my digestive reaction. Jeez.

What about the Kirkland fish oil capsules?  Has anyone had a problem with them?  I asked at my local Costco but they could not tell me if they are gluten-free....

Adalaide Mentor

WHAT???  NO! :o  That explains my digestive reaction. Jeez.

What about the Kirkland fish oil capsules?  Has anyone had a problem with them?  I asked at my local Costco but they could not tell me if they are gluten-free....

The people at your local Costco aren't going to know that sort of thing. You need to call customer service for this, they're the ones who have easy access to the information. My personal policy is to never go shopping without a fully charged cell phone in case I run across something I feel I need to contact a manufacturer about.

Coryad Rookie

Thanks :) I actually re-read the label and it does say gluten-free. Duh. But you make a good point and I'll just call the mfr next time.

• 5 years later...
monica pearson Newbie

Does anyone know if the Kirkland spiral ham is safe? It says gluten free...even the packet

cyclinglady Grand Master
1 hour ago, monica pearson said:

Does anyone know if the Kirkland spiral ham is safe? It says gluten free...even the packet

I buy it.  I do not use the packet though.  Too sweet for me.  Save the bone and scraps for soup.  

• 2 years later...
CeliacMama4 Newbie

Hi! Bouncing off this post. We buy 95% of our groceries from Costco. Does anyone know if their frozen organic veg (peas, broccoli, green beans, asparagus) are safe? 

trents Grand Master
18 minutes ago, CeliacMama4 said:

Hi! Bouncing off this post. We buy 95% of our groceries from Costco. Does anyone know if their frozen organic veg (peas, broccoli, green beans, asparagus) are safe? 

I should think they would be safe. I can't imagine those frozen veggies being processed on the same equipment as gluten containing products. We use those costco frozen veggies and I have never had a problem with them from a celiac standpoint.