• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes

Does Bacon Have Gluten?

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

Hey! I know that this is an old post but beware of bacon! It is coated in flour as a thickener. I even get sick when someone is cooking it, it gives me the worst migrane! They do have gluten free bacon just make sure it is labeled, don't assume. Best of luck!

Could you tell us what country that is? In the US, that isn't true. Many countries, the US & Canada included, have laws in place that wheat must be listed as an ingredient.

Also, not sure why you would need a thickener on bacon? Why would you thicken the grease? I guess, if you were making gravy....but you would do that after the bacon is cooked?

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    selectivefocus

• Topics

• Then she has already been diagnosed. Dh equals celiac, although I never heard of a MILD case. It's usually quite extraordinarily disturbing.
    • I would stick to a very basic gluten-free diet as recommended by Dr. Fasano and other celiac experts.  It would not hurt for a short amount of time and might get him through his exams.   This is the study about dealing with Trace Amounts of Hidden Gluten (not saying your son has non-responsive celiac disease) Look at Table 1 found a few pages into the report.  The diet is basically, plain meats and fish, veggies, fruit, rice, etc.  — nothing really processed.  It is what I do when I get “glutened” until I recover.   https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3598839/  
    • Yes do follow up with testing, once confirmed we can help you along the road. Other intolerance and allergies are very common with this disease. Lactose is broken down by enzymes produced by the tips of your villi in your intestines, they are normally the most damaged and in some cases just gone. As this is a autoimmune disease it is VERY common to develop other issues, including other AI diseases. I developed a ton of food intolerance issues and some messed up allergies like corn.
      WE do suggest a whole foods diet starting off only. This boost healing, and makes seperationg food related issues easier. I can provide list of processed food alternatives....there is gluten-free versions of everything if you know how to track them down. But this is more then just a food change, it is a whole life style change. The transition is frustrating at first but becomes second nature with great benefits in the end.
    • Please  follow the advice of celiac experts and get your daughter tested before going gluten free,  Your doctor, like many, is woefully misinformed.  You should be tested too (all first degree relatives), even if symptom free, and especially since your mother was recently diagnosed.  Learn more about testing from the University of Chicago.  They are one of many excellent celiac centers, but I personally like their website.   http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/screening/ Celiacs can have no symptoms, have anemia, have GI issues or not....the list is endless.   https://www.ueg.eu/education/latest-news/article/article/mistakes-in-coeliac-disease-diagnosis-and-how-to-avoid-them/ Eating gluten free is not expensive.  Buying processed Gluten Free food often is expensive though.  Instead eat whole natural foods like beans and rice!   Cook like Ma Ingalls (Little House on the Prairie).    It is a learned craft.  Plus, you will save by not eating out!   I wish you all well!    
    • We in the UK he takes a pack lunch and have asked for a health plan so wait and see. Not easy when he taking his gcse and he wants to do well. Thanks for the advice 
  • Upcoming Events