This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Breading

KellyR

KellyR Apprentice

I am trying to find a good breadcrumb or else and idea how everyone else makes breaded chicken like chicken parm or eggplant parm. Even meatballs. Thanks!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

debmidge Rising Star

Breadcrumbs made of rice & are plain: HolGrain but they are hard to find.

debmidge Rising Star

Does anyone have a receipe for gluten-free hamburger rolls not using soy Flour or guar gum? Xanthan gum is OK. Eggs OK. Milk OK.

kejohe Apprentice

The easiest thing for me is just to bake a loaf of bread, slice it and remove the crust, then I let it dry and process it n my food processor, it gives really nice "panko like" crumbs. You can toast the bread to speed up the process, but that adds color you may not want.

The great thing about making crumbs this way, it that you can uses the bread that falls and it won't make any difference, so you don't have to feel like your fallen bread is a total loss. :)

jamma825 Newbie

Hi,

I'm pretty new at this also. But, I have been using instant potatoes. Someone told me about it and it works pretty well.

I put all ingredients in a baggie and mix together then store in an air tight jar.

Put whatever you would add to your regular breadcrumbs. ie. parsley, garlic powder, cheese etc.

Hope it works for you. :D

jamma825 Newbie

Hi,

I'm pretty new at this also. But, I have been using instant potatoes. Someone told me about it and it works pretty well.

I put all ingredients in a baggie and mix together then store in an air tight jar.

Put whatever you would add to your regular breadcrumbs. ie. parsley, garlic powder, cheese etc.

Hope it works for you. :D

Kim Explorer

In addition to the gluten-free breadcrumbs you can buy or make, you also can put gluten-free tortilla chips in the food processor and use those -- they also sell those already processes. Especially for mexican food, these are very good.

Kim.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

I've also heard that nut flours work well for breading. (Trader Joe's has hazelnut and almond meal that looks like it's a great texture for breading.)

Jo Ann Apprentice

I slice the entire loaf of bread and wrap each slice individually for freezing, so we only take out what is needed since only one family member is celiac. The ends are saved in the freezer until there are enough to dry and process in the food processor. gluten-free cereal can be crushed, too. Instant potatoes can be used, but read the ingredients, sometimes there is hidden gluten. If you like the flavor, corn meal is a good filler. Fritos or other gluten-free corn chips and potato chips can be processed into crumbs and used for a change of taste. My mother always used oats in meatloaf. Stale cookies (they don't stay fresh long) can be crushed for pie crust (use like graham crumbs or Oreo cookie crust).

jenni Newbie

Breading Mix

2 c. sorghum flour

6 T cornstarch

1 tsp. onion powder

1 tsp pepper

1 tsp. Season-All salt

Mix well.

This is really good. I made fried chicken fingers with it and my daughter and I literally did not even get to the table to eat these - we were eating them out of the pan!

jenni Newbie

Breading Mix

2 c. sorghum flour

6 T cornstarch

1 tsp. garlic powder

1 tsp onion powder

1 tsp pepper

4 tsp Season-All salt

This is really good. I used it to make fried chicken fingers and my daughter and I lierally didn't even get to the table to eat them, we ate then right out of the pan.

Sorry, if this is a repeat but when I posted it the first time I don't think it worked.

jenni Newbie

p.s. I soak the chicken in ice water first, dry, then dip in yogurt, then toss them in a baggie with the breading

Archived