This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Kosher And Gf

GFdoc

GFdoc Apprentice

Hi Kim and Renee - I've made lots of changes to those recipes (matza balls and challah) since I first posted them. The matza balls I served for seder were fantastic (and no one knew they were gluten-free until my mom told) I skipped the ground oats and used ground gluten-free matza (made with potato starch only). When I tried to make them with the potato flakes alone - they fell apart.

Renee - the challah is not braidable, and it's not exactly the same - but so far, it's the best I can do...The changes I've made to the challah recipe are:

decrease cornstarch to 1 cup

increase brown rice flour to 1 cup

add 3/4 t dough enhancer (the one from Authentic Foods is parve)

2 T ground flax seed (for fiber, optional)

Renee - I store my nut flours in the freezer in ziploc bags, and the brown rice and flax seed in the fridge. The rest I keep at room temp - I have a separate cabinet for my gluten-free flours, and I bought big plastic jugs with wide tops to store them in. Between keeping kosher and keeping gluten-free - we need huge kitchens with LOTS of cabinets! Hang in there Renee - it gets alot easier as you get used to the diet...many of the premade gluten-free foods are hekshered (did I spell that right?) but the holiday foods are obviously the more difficult - you want it to taste just right. please feel free to email or private message me (just click on the buttons at the bottom of this message).

• 1 month later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

khyricat Rookie

Sara- as being new to gluten-free and Jewish- I apprecite this- will have to try things here..

and I'll share what I find out, I love experimenting in the kitchen anyway. Most of my gluten-free recipes are things I make during passover anyway- tons of cakes, and sweets and things like that.. and I will have to try the gluten-free matza.. I still have 2 boxes of regular matza to give my neighbor who likes it as well. Any suggestions on things that will make dairy free breads and or just to make nice traditional items will be much appreciated. I know I will be making a lot more in the future.. I do a lot of casserole snad meatpies and quiches in potato or potato/onion crusts too... just line the pan.. YUMMY

Kim Explorer

There are some great noodles (gluten-free) that I use just fine for my kugels -- they taste just the same. We also serve Un-matza balls in our house and everyone (even the non-celiacs) eat them and love them. We steam them with a steamer and they hold up just fine. I'll have to post the recipe to see what you were doing differently, Sara. Also, as far as the challah goes, I have a pan that looks "braided" but you dump the batter in and then at least the finished challah looks like what the kids are used to. Kim.

• 3 months later...
Janet613 Newbie

I'm a little late on the matza question, but for matza for the seder has to be made from oats. (Or wheat, rye, barley, or spelt, but obviously those are out.) If you can't eat oats, you're exempt. Personally, I don't eat oats.

I'm sure the matza posted here is great with charoset, though! The same is true for challah, to be able to say "ha-motzi".

I keep sephardic kosher l'pesach. The two years, I tried being Ashkenazic kosher l'pesach, but eating only quinoa got a little old.

Janet

GEF Explorer

Hello Sara! I'm not Jewish but I grew up in NY near the jewish delies.. yum, yum, yum!! I so miss a good knish.. would you happen to have a recipe?

Gretchen

• 5 months later...
Guest Mari

I know I'm only a year late with responding but, I was just diagnosed and need help with the whole Kosher for Passover thing. I know Matza is out, which isn't such a bad thing, and I plan on being Sephardic for Passover. But what do I do about all the other food! It seems like everything is made with matza meal or farfal. What about kugal. Someone mentioned they had a good pasta to use for noodle kugal. What is it? My mom is trying to accomadate, but needs help. So do I!

Does anyone have good suggestions?

debmidge Rising Star

gluten-free doc, nice to see you on board these days. Thanks for receipes. I misplaced mine from last year

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 9 months later...
Ellie's mom Newbie

I'm new to this forum (although my daughter was diagnosed 3 years ago, so not new to the gluten-free world). I love the challah recipe above -- but does anyone have a braidable one? My daughter's Bat Mitzvah is coming up in May, and I've promised to make the entire weekend gluten-free (as well as kosher, of course).

• 4 weeks later...
Ellie's mom Newbie

I have a different matzah ball recipe from the one already here.... we discovered it last year, and Ellie was absolutely thrilled. By the way, I use the same matzah recipe as listed in this thread -- it's very easy to make, and MUCH cheaper than the gluten-free matzah at Whole Foods! The following recipe was posted to JEWISH-FOOD digest by "Debbie Kerry" on Feb 19, 1998.

Title: Gluten Free Matzah Balls

Ingredients

4 eggs

3 tbs chicken fat or margarine

1 ts salt

1/4 teaspoon xantham gum

1 1/2 c instant potato flakes

1-2 tbs ground almonds (you can buy almond slivers and grind them in your blender)

4 tbs chicken stock OR 2 tbs chicken stock and 2 tbs seltzer (I prefer to use seltzer; it makes the matzah balls lighter.)

Instructions

The original recipe called for only one cup of potato flakes, but then the batter is far too liquidy. I suggest

fiddling around with the quantities. I make this for a dairy meal once, so used margarine and cut out the chicken stock entirely; they were still good (I've also used vegetable broth instead of the chicken).

Beat eggs and fat, add salt and gum to potatoes and add to the eggs. Add

stock, mix well and chill for 20-30 mins. Wet hands and form into balls,

drop onto plate and steam covered for 20 minutes. or cook in simmering soup

for 20 mins.

lemonade Enthusiast
GLUTEN FREE MATZO!

I found a website that makes and sells gluten-free Kosher for passover matzo.

Open Original Shared Link

I'm going to get a box ASAP...

That is really cool, i want some for the holidays!!!

Challah (Egg Bread)

(parve)

1 1/2 cups cornstarch

3/4 cup white rice flour

1/2 cup brown rice flour

1/4 cup tapioca flour

3 T almond meal

1 T xanthan gum

1 package red star quickrise yeast

1 t salt

1 cup warm water (120 degrees)

2 T dry potato flakes

1/4 cup oil

1/4 cup honey

3 eggs + 1 egg yolk

Directions:

1. Mix dry ingredients in heavy duty mixer

2. Dissolve potato flakes in warm water, and add slowly to mixer

3. Add oil and honey

4. Add eggs and mix until blended

5. Beat on High speed for 2 minutes - batter should look like pudding

6. Spoon batter into greased 9 x 5 inch loaf pan (I spray with Pam, and use dark Teflon pan)

7. Smooth top surface of batter using WET hand

8. Cover pan with plastic wrap (spray underside of plastic sheet with Pam so it won't stick to batter as it rises)

9. Let rise in warm place for about 35 minutes or until reaches top of pan

(I turn my oven on warm for 30-60 seconds, turn off, then use as warm place for rising)

10. Using fine serrated knife, cut 2 diagonal lines across top of bread about 1/8 inch deep (lets steam escape)

11. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 45 minutes (cover with foil after 20 minutes if top gets too brown)

12. Transfer to wire cooling rack, rub top with margerine while still hot.

Enjoy!

Okay, this may sound like a silly question, but is there a way to make challah bread without eggs?????

Lemonade

• 1 year later...
catzy Newbie

Does anyone know of a substitute you can use for the almond meal in the challah recipe or in other recipes that use it? My daughter also is allergic to peanuts/nuts. Thanks!

cycler Contributor

Thanks for the recipes!

What exactly is Almond Meal? Is it just ground almonds? I've never seen it.

I am strictly kosher and gluten-free (this will be my second Pesach). Last year I discovered gluten-free Gefilte fish - Kedem has it and Rokeach (2 varieties) and it is also egg-free for those who need that. It really wasn't bad. Also Manishewitz has lot of gluten-free foods for Pesach - for whoever asked there is a potato knish mix that is gluten-free!

I also use the Potato Pancake Mix as a kugel - I don't add matzoh meal and not as much water.

Also, in Williamsburg (Brooklyn) last year I was able to get kosher gluten-free cookies and crackers for Pesach.

Archived