This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How To Gain Weight

Martok42

Martok42 Rookie

I need tip and your suggestions on gaining and keeping on weight. I'm 14 5'10 and weigh 110 pounds. I want to gain a little more weight, I don't want to be fat, I just don't want to be a 90 pound weakling. No offence to any 90 pound weaklings out there. I hate an entire gluten free pizza and tub of gluten free brownies in two days. I eat like that normally. You think I would gain more. But I digress, any suggestions?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Squirrelflight Rookie

I need tip and your suggestions on gaining and keeping on weight. I'm 14 5'10 and weigh 110 pounds. I want to gain a little more weight, I don't want to be fat, I just don't want to be a 90 pound weakling. No offence to any 90 pound weaklings out there. I hate an entire gluten free pizza and tub of gluten free brownies in two days. I eat like that normally. You think I would gain more. But I digress, any suggestions?

Protein. You mention the pizza and brownies but that is more junk food. Try high protein shakes.. (will need to research for gluten-free status) and aim for 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight each day.

I have always been underweight and this is what I was told to do. How long have you been gluten-free? I personally have found that I am gaining weight quite nicely and have a better appetite now that I am gluten-free. Now I have to deal with the body image issues bc my face is fuller and I just look different and it bothers me... lol. Always something! :)

Martok42 Rookie

I have been gluten FREE for for a couple months. Like five months ago I started the diet just not very carefully :P But I eat better now than I ever have, and I CAN'T STOP LOOSING WEIGHT! I now weigh 105 WHY!?

Keith1970 Newbie

I am also concerned with this... I am 40 , been Gluten free for about 2 months.... and am 5' 10" and have gone down to 125lbs ... I just can't seem to find the right foods to eat... I have been buying that "boost" Protein drink which is gluten free but at 8$ for 6 small bottles... it gets very costly!

any help would be great !

Wolicki Enthusiast

I am also concerned with this... I am 40 , been Gluten free for about 2 months.... and am 5' 10" and have gone down to 125lbs ... I just can't seem to find the right foods to eat... I have been buying that "boost" Protein drink which is gluten free but at 8$ for 6 small bottles... it gets very costly!

any help would be great !

High quality protein, and generous servings of peanut butter! Peanut butter has like 200cal in 2 tbsp. That's how my son got to a normal weight....lots of PB.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

High quality protein, and generous servings of peanut butter! Peanut butter has like 200cal in 2 tbsp. That's how my son got to a normal weight....lots of PB.

I agree. Something I did in addition to upping my protein was I started adding a bag of Wylde Pretzels to my daily diet. Each bag has about a thousand calories. I would open it in the morning and eat the bag bit by bit throughout the day along with my regular meals. That added a thousand calories without ever making me feel overly full. I often washed them down with a glass of Wegmans Rice Milk with a lot of chocolate syrup. Lots of calories there too but also a big dose of sugar.

• 2 weeks later...
Switch2GF Rookie

Great advise has been given so far... protein shakes, peanut butter... and more protein and carbs. Personally, I like brown rice since it doesn't take much to add up the calories and carbs... add some cheese! You just need to be taking in more calories than you are burning each day. 1.5g of protein per pound of bodyweight is really for gaining muscle, but will help in this situation.

Protein shakes can be a huge help since you can eat them anywhere at any time. Add in a shake or two per day. Make it with milk and peanut butter- I'd bet it doubles your daily caloric intake. There are lots of bodybuilding/weight gainers out there. BUT be careful and check directly with the manufacturer to ensure that it is gluten free. I have a friend who works for Syntrax who has a weight gainer protein. They assure that it is gluten free. PM me, I may be able to obtain a coupon code if you/anyone wants.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 months later...
626Belle Newbie

I'm going to be trying out protein shakes soon. I bought a sample of a Biochem Sports chocolate fudge flavor and mixed it with milk and didn't like it much. If I can find one I like that mixes easily, it'll be easier for me to stick with it and watch for results. I'm a 100-lb weakling, but I've been this way all my life. I have only had celiac disease for a little over 2 years and went gluten free shortly after I got hit with the symptoms. My metabolism is insane and I often feel hungry most of the day (before and since going gluten-free). Consider me subscribed for more tips ;)

The Glutenator Contributor

I have been going through the same thing, but gained a couple pounds over the last two weeks, finally! It sounds a bit funny to say, but it was as much work as losing weight can be to a dieter. I was uncomfortably full all the time and had to consciously think about food to remind myself to eat dense foods so often. I added desserts to each lunch and dinner like a brownie, cupcake, or donut (all frozen gluten-free stuff). Had a 3 snacks a day, one was a dense protein bar with fruit and the other two were something like PB, crackers and a banana, a chocolate bar with fruit or a grilled cheese at night when I was home. Then I also added cheese or beans to whatever I made for lunch and dinner to boost the calories (note each meal was well balances with protein, starch, and vegetable). Its only been two weeks and I m exhausted, like a dieter wanting a treat, but I know my body needs the weight so it will be worth it. Good luck!

• 1 month later...
f1m Newbie

How are you guys eating the peanut butter? Crackers? Gluten free bread :hurl:?

I'm trying to gain weight as well. I've only been on a gluten free diet for two weeks. Before being diagnosed I was on a workout plan and gained about 8lbs, and then my stomach just started becoming upset, I was nauseated, etc. Went to the doc and was diagnosed with celiac disease. So now after losing those 8lbs, I'm slowly learning what I can eat, and trying to work that into snacks I eat through the day to try to consume calories. I need ~3500 a day and this gluten-free thing is not making that easy.

Things I'm doing now:

Scrambed Eggs

Milk

Protein Shakes

Potatoes

Rice

Chicken

Bananas

Apples

Any ideas?

Thanks.

jackay Enthusiast

If you like them and can tolerate them, try:

olive oil, coconut oil, avacados and all types of nuts and seeds

Be sure to check the packaging to make sure they are processed in a wheat free place.

bCoy Newbie

I was diagnosed with celiac at the age of 18 months, im now 18 years old. im 5'10" 180 pounds, mostly muscle.

When i was young i was always a smaller kid but around 14 i started eating more protein foods and working out.

My best suggestion is try to just get a good amount of protein in your diet and work out, such as.

Protein Shakes(Whey protein)

chicken

tuna fish

steaks

hamburgers/chicken burgers/ turkey burgers

eggs

yogurt( if not dairy intolerant)

milk

Cream of rice(very good in morning for those complex carbs)

sandwiches with gluten free bread of course( i use olive oil instead of mayo)

peanut butter

gluten free pasta

there are tons of foods out there, yes they are more expensive but if you wanna stay healthy its the way to go.

• 2 weeks later...
mareahf Apprentice

I like to eat ice cream or milk shakes, one small bowl a day will help keep some weight on. (Make sure you read all ingredients and it is gluten-free ice cream!)

Wheatfreedude Apprentice

Consider me subscribed for more tips ;)

I will cut to the chase on this one. LEAN animal proteins need to become your best friend (LOL). If you really want to pack on lean muscle mass and not add fat, you need to eat as much of the following that you can on a daily basis:

- Chicken sausages

- Egg White omelettes

- Chicken breasts

- Frozen turkey patties

- Pork tenderloin (cut all visible fat)

- Pork chops (cut all visible fat)

- Salmon burgers

- Variety of frozen fish (mahi mahi, salmon, baramundi, trout, halibut, etc)

- Beef flank steak

- Turkey breast lunch meat

When you shop for these items, try to buy preservative-free and without too many ingredients.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against protein shakes (as I have a few each day). They fill their purpose throughout the day. If you want to pack on lean muscle, you need be become more carnivorous than ever. It works!

~Wheatfreedude~

• 1 month later...
MarkR555 Rookie

Wheatfreedude and bcoy posted some great ideas there.

Eating lots more protein and weightlifting will pack muscle onto your frame. One quick way to get more protein into your diet cheaply and conveniently is having protein shakes (check for gluten obv) and eating tins of tuna. Tuna is very protein rich and very lean. You can bulk up your protein shakes with peanut butter and make them with milk if thats ok for you. Also adding oats to them (if you find a good source and are ok with oats) is a great way to add additional clean calories to your diet.

You can easily make protein shakes that are 500 calories each, with 1 1/2 scoops of whey in (35g protein roughly). Two of those a day plus a tin on tuna on top of your normal diet will give you over 1000 calories and 100g extra protein a day which is a great start. Just watch you're not packing on tonnes of fat too. For the weightlifting try Lame Advertisement, but bear in mind you are young and will pack on muscle easily (read beginner / teen bodybuilding stuff).

Hope this helps a bit,

Wheatfreedude Apprentice

Ooops! I forgot to tell you about all of the high protein dairy items that you can eat between meals (presuming that you don't have a dairy allergy)

- Non-Fat Greek Yogurt

- Low Fat Cottage Cheese

- Low fat String Cheese

There's three snacks for today alone. And all of the above pair well with fresh fruit (apples, berries, grapefruit)

~Wheatfreedude~

• 4 years later...
inver Apprentice

My 10 year old daughter is only 47 lbs.  She was diagnosed with celiac 3 years ago.  Initially, she gained weight and had a growth spurt.  For the past 18 months she has only gained 1.5 lbs.  She is no longer on the pediatricians "curve".  One of the issues seems to be appetite.  She has become an extremely picky eater.  She fills up very quickly.  I have gone to the nutritionist 2 times.  We did a gastric emptying test which was normal.  Tried appetite stimulants which work, but make her drowsy and physically clumsy.  She cannot take them and go to school.  Smaller doses of the stimulant do not work.   I have been doing a calorie count--- yes she does not take in enough.  I do try to do shakes etc.  She just fills up and cannot eat anymore after a certain point.

Doctor now wants to do an MRI enterography to make sure there is nothing else wrong.  She also in the future may "scope" her again.  All blood work, stool samples etc are normal.

***Also, lately she has been having stomach aches after she eats.  It happens 2 or 3 times a week.  Keeping food log cannot figure out what it could be.

Has anyone else gone through this??  Help! Any suggestions, support welcome.

• 5 months later...
HeaJen Newbie

I have been gluten free for 4 months now, I am 4'11" @ 93lbs, I am losing weight everyday no matter what I eat or drink all gluten free, even though cutting out gluten was a bring change in calorie intake there I replaced this with dairy, (prior to being celiac was thought to be lactose intolerant) so I thought this would even out somewhat but it hasn't. I tried Ensure Plus for healthy weight gain for a month, and it not only didn't put weight on me it thinned out my purse as well. I go back in three months to have more blood work done, I enjoy peanut butter cookies they are the easiest gluten free snack I have found that is simple to make.if I see a place on here to post recipes I will post it for you all.  

• 5 months later...
MelissaDawn Newbie

Been sick my entire life and my mother called me a drama queen, found out I have Xilinx disease and it's what's causing me to stay 96LBs for the past 6 years. I'm 17 now and weigh only 98LBs and I'm 5'4". I've been picked on about my weight and in sure most of you know how it goes(eat a sandwich). Haven't found anything to help me gain weight I've been eating gluten free foods like pretzels and Mac and cheese and cookies and other snacks but have been trying to stay on vegetable and meat diets otherwise. Nothing's working any suggestions. And I am taking multivitamins and I seriously can't deal with shakes.:wacko:

canadianjem Rookie

Sometimes the damage to the intestine is so bad that little gets absorbed.  Perhaps talk with your Gastro doctor about your concerns??  Did you have a follow up biopsy to see if your villi are healing?

I also had the same problem with gaining weight.  I was a like skeleton for a while.

I found an APP called my fitness pal (FREE). I personalized it so it worked specifically for me.

I tracked what I are daily along with exercise and it let me know if I was over/under my calories for the day and broke everything down into things such as , vitamins, carbs, fats, etc. so I would know exactly where I was lacking.

Please please please do not forget that pizza, ice-cream , chips are not the way to go to put on weight.  They are indeed fabulous for a treat but if consumed daily your heart, arteries and brain will be unhappy campers.

Momma2PirateNPrincess Rookie

I'm having a hard time gaining and maintaining my weight too. I lost a lot over the summer when all my symptoms started. I've only been gluten-free close to 2 months. I eat about every 3-4 hrs and still can't gain. I look gross! 

canadianjem Rookie
23 hours ago, Momma2PirateNPrincess said:

I'm having a hard time gaining and maintaining my weight too. I lost a lot over the summer when all my symptoms started. I've only been gluten-free close to 2 months. I eat about every 3-4 hrs and still can't gain. I look gross! 

Ahhh...hang in there.  I KNOW it's tough.  I have been there as well.

Two months is not a long time considering the food you have been eating your entire life have essentially been killing your villi.

Also, learning about the small places where gluten may hide is important. Caramel colour, "modified" starches, etc... are sneaky little places gluten can be lurking.

Eating evey 3-4 hours is great as long as what you are consuming isn't crap foods.

I really really like the APP called my fitness pal.  It great for breaking things down into separate categories to see :if" your body is lacking in areas.  You may be surprised...maybe you are not eating ENOUGH daily based upon your body type.   Apps are not for everyone ...just a thought.

Perhaps you could visit a dietitian or speak with your doctor about your concerns.  

• 4 years later...
DJFL77I Experienced

I wonder what happened to all these peoples  🤔

Scott Adams Grand Master

Hopefully they are out there an healthy! They are certainly welcome to chime in and let us know. Hopefully they will get these notifications.

• 1 month later...
Dalotte Newbie

I just found this website and thread and am learning a lot. My 21 year old son was diagnosed about 14 months ago. He also has an intellectual disability and can't communicate very well. He has been gluten-free for 13 months. He has a great appetite but is struggling with weight gain. His weight hovers around 105 lbs (he was 125 lb and slowly gaining weight at 18 years of age before this all started). He eats a good balanced diet, although probably more snacks than he should be having but at least he's eating. I add PB to lots of foods and drizzle avocado oil over his meals. He is just not gaining weight. Blood and stool tests are all normal. His GI doc has him on steroids currently (he's about to start the third month and now tapering down to 1 capsule per day) but this has made no difference to his weight although possibly increased his appetite. He does not seem to be in pain but not easy to tell with him. Any thoughts on what might be next? His GI doc did say he may need an MRI scan to rule out other issues. He can't communicate how he feels and sometimes he just doesn't want to eat and other times he'll happily eats 2-3 servings of food. He does not seem to like protein shakes unless they are fruity (i.e. not chocolatey, vanilla, or coffee flavored) and I've tried store bought and home-made. Are there any store bought drinks you would recommend that have high protein and are fruity, especially berries or lemon? He seems to like tangy things. Thanks for any ideas, tips, food suggestions.