This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Reaction Could It Be My Coffee Creamer - International Delight

DoodleDog

DoodleDog Apprentice

Hello,

I am trying to figure out what gave me a reaction this morning. (Reaction is my belly is swollen to look 3 months pregnant...I am a small person who weighs 106 and I am 5/6 tall.) After having gluten and dairy last Sunday I have finally felt better untill this morning. This is all I can think of that could have caused this reaction this morning...I had Coffee with international delight creamer 3 tsp...Grits...peaches....2 TBS flaxseed on grits....grapes....poached egg...oh and yesterday afternoon I had 2 slices of unknown bacon at a party. I have been eating the rice grits for some time so I don't think this is the problem. I am wondering if it is the creamer...I did not have it yesterday and had an amazingly flat belly...I thought this creamer was dairy free.

Any idea what did this to me this morning?

I have been Gluten, soy and dairy free for almost 2 months. Fell off the wagon 3 times so far!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

The creamers are gluten free. (Says so on the website.)

They are also lactose free, but NOT dairy free - they contain sodium caseinate, which is a milk derivative. Are you lactose intolerant or casein intolerant?

DoodleDog Apprentice

To tell you the truth I am not sure. I have been diagnosed with IBS when I was 17, I am now 38. I have had so many additional problems this last year, belly pain, belly swelling, joints, numbness, anxiety, back, vision, concentration etc...that I decided to cut everything out after I read that IBS sufferers should remove gluten and dairy. So I just don't know what I am doing. I am keeping a detailed food diary and trying to figure things out on my own. I know with some of my symptoms getting better that part of my problems may be food related. But I am very clueless with all of this and a doctor is out of the question since my last experience only frustrated me.

Any help would be so very much appreciated:)

Jeffiner Apprentice

Hello,

I am trying to figure out what gave me a reaction this morning. (Reaction is my belly is swollen to look 3 months pregnant...I am a small person who weighs 106 and I am 5/6 tall.) After having gluten and dairy last Sunday I have finally felt better untill this morning. This is all I can think of that could have caused this reaction this morning...I had Coffee with international delight creamer 3 tsp...Grits...peaches....2 TBS flaxseed on grits....grapes....poached egg...oh and yesterday afternoon I had 2 slices of unknown bacon at a party. I have been eating the rice grits for some time so I don't think this is the problem. I am wondering if it is the creamer...I did not have it yesterday and had an amazingly flat belly...I thought this creamer was dairy free.

I have been Gluten, soy and dairy free for almost 2 months. Fell off the wagon 3 times so far!

It is odd that I came across this. I have not given up dairy but was recently diagnosed with celiac disease. For seven years I vomited on nearly a daily basis. I cut out all gluten about a week and a half ago and the vomiting has gotten much better. The only time it has happened in the past few days was after I had a cup of coffee with coffeemate in it. I looked on the website and it is supposedly gluten free.

Jennjjh Newbie

Does the creamer have carrageenan in it? I guess it could also be the caseinate, but read on... I had been diagnosed with ALL of the typical gut problems (IBS,spastic colon, lactose intolerance, you name it!) from the age of 19 AND finally when my body shut down and just simply stopped absorbing ANY nutrients many, many years later, I found myself seeing several doctors and being tested for everything, including parasites I was weak and withering away when I decided to see "just one more Dr." and if that Dr. could not help me I was going to admit myself to the hospital and INSIST on an IV to give my body some food! Don't give up on Dr's, you have a good idea of what your problem might be. Ask people in your area, do Web research and get tested. Just knowing for SURE will help you in so many ways. I am a "celiac" member, and I am so very grateful to the Dr., "just one more Dr.", that finally tested me 3.5 years ago for wheat/gluten intolerance and found that I have celiac disease. Sorry for going on about this... but I think this info. might help. After being diagnosed and getting healthy by not only cutting out gluten, but cutting out anything that might be hard to digest etc. I started eating small amounts of dairy items and was doing fine, to my surprise! To shorten my story a bit, I had a few reactions that did not make sense due to an inconsistent reaction to dairy products... sometimes I was fine, others I was SICK! By reading labels, and keeping a food diary, I narrowed the problem down to dairy or "dairy like" products that contain carrageenan! My body reacts to carrageenan the same way that it does to gluten. The ill feelings do not last as long, but I do get very sick and my body is in a huge hurry to flush the product out. Now, I am gluten and carrageenan free and feeling so much better. Although I do have other gut issues that I am still working on and will look to others on this site for help. I hope this info is helpful in some way to you. Eat Well, Feel Well, Be Well.

digmom1014 Enthusiast

Hello,

I had Coffee with international delight creamer 3 tsp...Grits...peaches....2 TBS flaxseed on grits....grapes....poached egg...oh and yesterday afternoon I had 2 slices of unknown bacon at a party. I have been eating the rice grits for some time so I don't think this is the problem. I

What kind of grits are you using? I have had to put different items "on hold" and later in my healing added them again. Though, you said you had no trouble with the grits, & beside the creamer which is gluten-free, I'm not sure. I'm over 2 yrs. gluten-free and I have suddendly become bloated when I have caffiene, so some new things just "pop-up". Oh, the joys of this disease!

Glamour Explorer

I get nauseous if I use those creamers. They are so loaded with junk, who knows what ingredients are reactive.

I wonder is the coconut creamers (from health food stores) are better for you, if you can't do dairy.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

burdee Enthusiast

Check the ingredients in your creamer. That could contain soy or casein (dairy protein). I would also call the manufacturer if there are some 'mystery' ingredients on the label.

SUE

• 4 years later...
Fatcat Newbie

I think I am reacting to coffee creamer.  I changed my regular french vanilla for a chocolate peppermint truffle creamer for Christmas and it put me in bed all day, muscle aches, pains, overwhelming fatigue .... the same thing gluten does to me.  I thought I was the only one.   I would like to know how to figure out or narrow down what I am reacting to in the future.  Does anyone have a recommendation for an App or anything to help me figure things out.  

• 1 year later...
NicoleP Newbie
On 2/15/2010 at 8:56 AM, DoodleDog said:

Hello,

I have done quite a lot of research and find that corn and all of its derivatives actually cause celiac and gluten and dairy intolerances. 

Gluten

Dairy

Corn

Soy

To name a few have been genetically modified as well as infiltrated with tons of pesticide . 

The man perpatraitor is the pesticides. 

The way that they kill the pests is to punch tiny holes in their intestines and cause leaky gut syndrome which allows toxins to infiltrate the brain and nervous system and cause an allergic reaction in the GI tract from mild to celiac in proportion . 

I am 

Gluten

Dairy

Corn

Intolerant and have been off of them for a few months solid. I have been dropping weight and getting much healthier (Praise God) and wanted to share with you the (CORN) tidbit to help you eliminate the root cause.

Soy is another strong perpatraitor and is a bit more difficult to eliminate with how processed our world has become. 

I hope this helps you 

And I'm thinking that I may be getting a reaction from soy now that I have cut everything else out. 

Too soon to tell but I'm strongly leaning towards eliminating that too. 

God bless and feel better in Jesus name

kareng Grand Master
27 minutes ago, NicoleP said:

I have done quite a lot of research and find that corn and all of its derivatives actually cause celiac and gluten and dairy intolerances. 

Gluten

Dairy

Corn

Soy

To name a few have been genetically modified as well as infiltrated with tons of pesticide . 

The man perpatraitor is the pesticides. 

The way that they kill the pests is to punch tiny holes in their intestines and cause leaky gut syndrome which allows toxins to infiltrate the brain and nervous system and cause an allergic reaction in the GI tract from mild to celiac in proportion . 

I am 

Gluten

Dairy

Corn

Intolerant and have been off of them for a few months solid. I have been dropping weight and getting much healthier (Praise God) and wanted to share with you the (CORN) tidbit to help you eliminate the root cause.

Soy is another strong perpatraitor and is a bit more difficult to eliminate with how processed our world has become. 

I hope this helps you 

And I'm thinking that I may be getting a reaction from soy now that I have cut everything else out. 

Too soon to tell but I'm strongly leaning towards eliminating that too. 

God bless and feel better in Jesus name

I haven't seen any of the Celiac experts say that corn cause Celiac, gluten intolerance or dairy intolerances.  Do you have some links to real scientific research that shows that?

Scott Adams Grand Master

Just to clarify, corn is safe for celiacs, but some celiacs may also have corn intolerance. Organic corn would not contain pesticides.

• 1 year later...
Taras Light Rookie
On Monday, February 15, 2010 at 7:56 AM, DoodleDog said:

Hello,

For a month I kept thinking the creamer was making me react and it made me feel like I had gluten. My gluten caused discomfort is different than dairy discomfort. International Delight and Coffee Mate(?) creamers make me feel glutenned. Do we just react to genetic engineering foods or some of them? Every time I had black coffee the reaction never came. I didnt react to one brand creamer that i think was lactose free too. I also dont remember fully but the natural bliss creamers seemed okay for me as well. Powdered creamers are the worst I think.

cyclinglady Grand Master
23 minutes ago, Taras Light said:

For a month I kept thinking the creamer was making me react and it made me feel like I had gluten. My gluten caused discomfort is different than dairy discomfort. International Delight and Coffee Mate(?) creamers make me feel glutenned. Do we just react to genetic engineering foods or some of them? Every time I had black coffee the reaction never came. I didnt react to one brand creamer that i think was lactose free too. I also dont remember fully but the natural bliss creamers seemed okay for me as well. Powdered creamers are the worst I think.

You can develop intolerances to just about anything.  Most are just temporary and improve with intestinal healing.  The creamers should be gluten free, but they are full of "junk".  You could be reacting to any of the ingredients.  Even though the creamers say dairy free, (lactose free), they still contain milk proteins (whey and casein).  You could be reacting to those.  You can be both lactose and milk protein intolerant.  

The old timers on the forum harp about a Whole Foods diet.   We have already walked in your shoes.  That flavored coffee is not a whole food, it is processed.  Best to avoid until you heal, but it is your choice.  

BTW, I use them occasionally when at a friend's house and have never been glutened.  

• 7 months later...
pamdolanart Newbie

I'm having the same problem throwing up, bloated belly right after drinking cold coffee with French Vanilla International Delight creamer. Never again will I buy that stuff. 

Jmg Mentor

I often go out to a local pub. I don't drink any more so my order was typically a black coffee (eat your heart out Keith Richards). Most of the time it was fine, but several times I got horrible bloating, stomach churning etc. I drink quite a lot of coffee, always black and usually decaf without a problem, but the coffee from the pub was an issue, but only sometimes.

i asked and the coffee was made with one of the pod machines. I think, but don't know for sure, that my issues related to cross contamination from when different pods were used in the machine.   I don't think it was gluten, more likely casiein / lactose related as CyclingLady says above. The answer of course is not to order the coffee, which sucks, but there you go.

kareng Grand Master

I drink the vanilla or another flavor , several times a week.  I don't think  there is a gluten issue but there are a lot of ingredients that could bother someone.

Awol cast iron stomach Experienced

Jmg sorry your unwell. 

Yikes, sounds like something got you. The Dr.  who diagnosed me said instant coffee and ground may cause issues. To rule out coffe itself was not a problem for me she told my husband to get whole beans grind at home and drink it black. I did not react. This sounds like you did all the right things.

It turned out it was the corn that got me outside the home if it is gluten-free. Many places use corn derived flavorings and that seemed to be what we figured out.

feel better.

Victoria1234 Experienced
23 hours ago, Jmg said:

I often go out to a local pub. I don't drink any more so my order was typically a black coffee (eat your heart out Keith Richards). Most of the time it was fine, but several times I got horrible bloating, stomach churning etc. I drink quite a lot of coffee, always black and usually decaf without a problem, but the coffee from the pub was an issue, but only sometimes.

i asked and the coffee was made with one of the pod machines. I think, but don't know for sure, that my issues related to cross contamination from when different pods were used in the machine.   I don't think it was gluten, more likely casiein / lactose related as CyclingLady says above. The answer of course is not to order the coffee, which sucks, but there you go.

Could the cup itself be contaminated with gluten? Perhaps being washed alongside beer mugs? Just a crazy thought.

• 2 weeks later...
Jmg Mentor

Thanks for the nice messages :) I was ok really, the discomfort didn't last too long and wasn't near a full glutening...

I went on to experience similar symptoms once I switched to soft drinks, we have one in the UK called J2O, I was getting a similar horrid bloating and stomach churning such that I didn't want to go back.

So on Friday and last night I switched to a straw in the bottle and... No problems! So, a question answered, for me now the doubtless small levels of cross contamination in the pub glasses are sufficient to irritate my stomach. Given this is a similar sensation to the reaction to coffee (and that as I type this I'm on my 3rd black coffee of the  day) then I have an answer for myself at least. 

I think this is an example of how our reactions can change over time and what was ok in the past isn't neccesarily going to be so in the future. It's a little annoying in this case as I'm a little old to be getting a thrill out of drinking with a straw :D but it's not the end of the world and if I can still go out with friends and family and enjoy a soft drink then that's good news. 

Thanks again for the kind words :)

• 7 months later...
sharbar1983 Newbie

Oh my gosh I just realized that these creamers are making me feel glutened too!  I'm glad I came across this.  I thought for sure it wasn't them as they're labeled "gluten free" but I have finished one of them and have been feeling HORRIBLE for the past 2 weeks and I realized it's coming from these creamers.  It could be the natural flavors that is listed...a lot of the time the "natural flavors" actually contain gluten.  Has anyone inquired?  Definitely anyone who has celiac's should avoid these creamers.

kareng Grand Master
1 hour ago, sharbar1983 said:

Oh my gosh I just realized that these creamers are making me feel glutened too!  I'm glad I came across this.  I thought for sure it wasn't them as they're labeled "gluten free" but I have finished one of them and have been feeling HORRIBLE for the past 2 weeks and I realized it's coming from these creamers.  It could be the natural flavors that is listed...a lot of the time the "natural flavors" actually contain gluten.  Has anyone inquired?  Definitely anyone who has celiac's should avoid these creamers.

Natural flavors do not contain gluten.  Some of these creamers do contain a lot of odd ingredients - hard to know which one is bothering you.

Edited by kareng
Ennis-TX Grand Master
9 hours ago, sharbar1983 said:

Keep a food diary, and see if you can find some of those odd ingredients on the list in other foods and see if they bother you, process of elimination. Heck could be the sugar, caffeine load setting of your intestinal bacteria into rage mode, or the coffee irritating your intestines. Anyway side thought, I been doing the coffeefellow ship at my church, I replaced all the nasty creamers few weeks ago with the sweetened almond milks in carafes. No one complains and they use them more then the dairy and delight creamers.

• 1 year later...
Castade Newbie

I came across this site, for a couple of hours  now I have been in agony. The pain is unreal and it is caused by the coffee creamer coffee mate. I know this because after the first time with this pain, I stopped drinking coffee and just to make sure I had a cola so it wasnt caffeine. My body was sore the next day but the pain was gone. so just to be sure I had a cup of coffee with a little creamer and after 2 hours, my stomach and intestines are hurting so badly. I never had this problem before so idk. 

NNowak Collaborator

Until the GI is healed (18 months to 3 years) hundreds of foods can cause irritation. Any types of sugar or hard to digest carbs (pasta, rice, potatoes, legumes) will feed unhealthy bacteria causing pain and bloating. Cruciferous vegetables (cauliflower, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage) will cause bloating and pain. Avoid dairy for an extended period of time - until you’ve been symptom free for a while. Acidic foods (coffee, soda, sports drinks) will cause bloating and pain. You get the idea. 

To give you direction, check out the FODMAP diet and keep a food and symptom diary.  Listen to your body and keep up with the diary until you know what your triggers are. After 25 years as a Celiac, I just found out peanuts and sugar alcohols (in sports drinks, vitamin water, etc) trigger my symptoms. The diary is important!

Feel better.