This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Specific Carbohydrate Diet?

PreOptMegs

shimma Apprentice

I had trouble with uncooked fruit in the beginning. It seems to be better now. I think I had to go through an adjustment period to deal with all the fiber, etc.

I'm kind of surprised about the pineapple. Pineapples have digestive enzymes in them that are supposed to aid digestion, not distress it. I find that they generally make me feel better (a bit surprising, because other high-acid fruits like citrus really bug my stomach!)

I'm sure you will get there. Maybe your body needs more time to adjust. I know that's not very helpful though.....but I understand your frustration. I'm beginning to wonder if I can ever have almond bread, etc.!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PreOptMegs Explorer

I am dying to make myself some sort of dessert. I really want to try to make ice cream because I am hoping my body can handle its smooth consistency better than it could something made from nut flour. Have you tried making ice cream?

shimma Apprentice

I don't have an ice cream maker. I think I will get one soon because I've been thinking about it since I started this diet. Plus it's summer now - and I don't have air conditioning!

Guest Eloisa

Papaya also has great digestive enzymes in it. It really stinks but when you make a fruit smoothie out of it or a milk shake it really tastes good.

shimma Apprentice

Papaya is a great idea. I wonder if they're in season? I know mangoes are - they were only 49 cents apiece at the store and I ate quite a few of them! Yum. I love summer fruit.

Have you tried making custard for dessert? It's nice and smooth like ice cream, but maybe a little easier to make. I've been having it quite a bit. I was making it before with almond milk (recipe out of Joy of Cooking, very basic, just eggs, almond milk instead of cow's milk, vanilla, a little salt, and honey). Today I made the recipe out of BTVC and I can't wait to try it!

Guest Eloisa

Shimma

That's sounds so delicious with Almond Milk and I think I'll try it. I know I like mango and I like to incorporate fruit into my green salids with real Italian dressing which are really good. I'll usually use red leaf with mango pieces and strawberries or pineapple pieces and sometimes guava too. It's not hard down here in Texas to find papaya and mango all year round just about only its a little difficult to get guavas. These are the best fruit and I never could understand why I felt so good after I ate them then I found out about the enzymes in them.

PreOptMegs Explorer

I finally have had breakthrough..... this past week I was able to add a couple of things to my diet. Strawberries, cantalupe, and pineapple finally went without a fight! I am so excited to eat these again, I just had to share it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shimma Apprentice

Congrats! I reacted badly to something that I ate yesterday, maybe too many berries. Went to a "you-pick" farm and got about 15 pounds total of strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries. I think I probably went a little overboard in snacking as I prepped the berries for freezing.

Today I think I will make some veggie soup. Not that soup is very appealing in 90 degree weather, but it will be very soothing!

PreOptMegs Explorer

It is so easy to go overboard with the berries! Especially on this diet more than any other, I tend to overindulge myself sometimes because there is usually only a couple of things at home that are "legal", so it is easy to go crazy!!!

shimma Apprentice

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'll make a batch of something (peanut butter brownies, custard, etc) and blow through the whole thing in a couple of days. I never used to snack as much as I do now - I'm putting something in my mouth every 2 hours or so. Just small things - a piece of cheese here, a bit of fruit here. Hopefully this will put me on the track to weight gain! Hasn't happened yet though. I can't gain weight no matter what I try. I also can't seem to eat a lot at once, hence the snacking.

• 2 weeks later...
PreOptMegs Explorer

It is ironic that we are both on the same diet, but both have very differnt goals... Let me explain. I am a gainer with gluten, so I went on this diet to try to "clean" out my system and get rid of the excess bloatedness and weight. So far, so good. I just recently have felt back to normal, but it would be so easy for me to gain weight with this diet. I am addicted to cheese, peanut butter, and raisins!! Try those on for size if you are trying to gain! Lol

shimma Apprentice

I'm addicted to peanut butter, so here's hoping that will eventually help!....

• 2 weeks later...
drea Rookie

I am giving the SCD a try, but was wondering if anyone that is underweight has gained needed weight using this diet. I have tried everything to gain, but it's not working.

PreOptMegs Explorer

This diet was designed for people to gain weight. It would be really, really easy for me to put pounds on, so I have to watch what I eat to continue to lose weight. The diet recommends using lot of olive oil, eating many nut products, butter, cheese, meats... and the list goes on. I have only lost weight because I watch what I eat.

Heather22 Rookie

Does anybody know if psyllium is allowed on this diet?

It is often recommended when doing a cleanse because of its bulking action which cleans out the mucus in the intestines.....which is the purpose of the first bit of the diet---as I understand it. (?)

Guest gfinnebraska

drea ~ I have lost a lot of weight on the SCD, but I think that is because I am "cleaning out" and returning to my "original" weight. I gain a LOT of weight when I have gluten, and it only makes sense that my cleansing myself that I would lose. :) If you are underweight due to celiac disease, then you should gain on the SCD.

Good luck!!

Heather22 Rookie

I was wondering if there is anything I can put in my coffee at the beginning of the diet.

I haven't introduced almond milk yet, so I was hoping someone found an alternative for in the mean time.

Guest gfinnebraska

Nope ~ just black. You could put in some Equal... but no "creamer" type product.

Sorry!!!

PreOptMegs Explorer

Are we allowed to use Equal? I thought it had maltodextrin (corn) in it, so it was bad? I was under the impression that the only real sweetener we could have was honey? I could definately be wrong on this.........

• 4 months later...
BetseyCo Newbie
I was just introduced to this diet yesterday by a member on this forum. Just wondering what some opinions of this are and any success/unsuccessful stories are from this, and how hard it is to stay on it!! Thanks

can someone explain this diet to me?

PreOptMegs Explorer

It is called the specific carbohydrate diet and more indepth info can be found on the web at www.breakingtheviciouscycle.com. Basically it is just a really restrictive definately Gluten free diet that "cleans" out your intestines by starving the bad bacteria out, allowing the good bacteria to thrive.

Nancym Enthusiast

I just started this today. I don't have the book (it is on order) and I'm going off info from a web site. I really hope it helps me get my intestines to feeling better!

One things though, I'm casein intolerant. So I'm going to try making yogurt from coconut milk. My first try came out very liquid, didn't set up at all, but it tastes good! I have been using it in smoothies.

PreOptMegs Explorer

You WILL feel 10000 times better if you follow the diet correctly... without cheating. Good luck !

Guest gfinnebraska

My resolution is to go back STRICTLY on the SCD. I "went off" during the holidays and my recovery from surgery. NOW it is time to get back to eating right. I want to finsh my year and start this summer off as healthy and fit as I did the last one. :) Are you continuing Megs?? Let me know! Did you stick to it over the holidays?? If so, GOOD going!!! :)

PreOptMegs Explorer

I, basically due to basketball, have had to add brown rice, potatoes, and fluid milk into my diet. I wasn't getting as many carbs as I needed to survive our grueling 3 hour practices. I still feel great and haven't "suffered" from going off it a bit, but I was on it for 6-7 months without cheating once, so I obviously healed well enough to continue to do well.

Archived