This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Candida Overgrowth Detox Issues -- Lot'S Of Pain

Texasannie

Texasannie Newbie

I have been gluten, corn and dairy (casein) free for months and feel better BUT I still have that bloaty gut so I went to my DO and she did a blood test for Candida and the results say that I have a "systemic overgrowth." I have finally managed to lose 12 pounds in just 2 weeks but now I am fighting a lot of physical pain and I think it is from Candida detox but I can't be sure?

Can someone please tell me why I am now very tense and achy and have a bad pain in my right shoulder, as though I have been punched repeatedly there? I have also had a lot headaches, which I usually don't have. Why would my right arm and shoulder hurt so badly? Is it possible that the Candida has lodged there for some reason (in addition to being in my gut)?

I have suspected that I had Candida overgrowth for awhile and I am already doing so many things to combat it such as:

limiting caffeine

no alcohol or sugar other than Stevia

no grains except brown rice

no processed foods

yeast overgrowth herbal remedy

digestive enzymes

L-glutamine

doubled my Omega oils

ginger tea

Coconut oil and milk

Epsom salt baths every other day

I am getting so tired of feeling so very achy! Is it from Candida detox? Am I doing too much at once? The aches and pains started right when I began the herbal detox that I got from my DO, but that also began my weight loss when nothing else seemed to work.

What does this wise group recommend to get the pain under control? Do I need a prescription to fight this Candida overgrowth?

Thanks so much! Annie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cbur53 Newbie

Well I was hoping someone more knowledgable would answer, but here is my experience. I have had systemic Candida for many years......mostly just suspected it, but recently confirmed by diagnosis. All these (25) years I've sort of survived by doing about exactly what you have been doing. That is the only way I could keep out of being bedridden. Then two years ago I was diagnosed with severe heavy metal toxicity, lead was past the red danger zone, and a few more were high. Now I've been diagnosed with severe gluten intollerance, possible celiac (test not back yet). I've been told that both heavy metals and celiac can make it next to impossible to get rid of Candida. So, I'm working on getting rid of all the gluten and other allergic foods as well as chelating the heavy metals out. Last year the doctor put me on a round of oral Amphoterecin, an antifungal, and I felt pretty good......for a while. So for now I'm continuing on all the things you mentioned and hoping one day to be able to wean off all that. Maybe since you've been on the gluten-free diet for long enough, you can get a prescription and be done with it? Or at least do minimal herbal stuff afterward?

I've also not been able to loose weight, though now that I'm doing the gluten-free, I am starting to. Pretty exciting, actually, since I have found it to be embarassing to tell Drs. I eat little and keep gaining, and watch them roll their eyes and snort.

What I've found works best is to rotate the antifungal herbs. Just probiotics doesn't even touch it for me, though I keep taking them. Not sure if I'm allowed to name the products I like best ont his forum, so I'll leave it for now.

I don't know if that helps, but I hope you feel better soon.

Connie

And yes, headaches, itching, aches, all that can be from die-off. Sometimes I think I'm in perpetual die-off, ha!

Healthy Newbie

I am too fighting Candida overgrowth. Both my son and I are. I have a gluten allergy and my son a dairy allergy. We have leaky gut issues, but those are our major allergies. We have removed all sugar and yeast from our diets (we use Stevia and agave it it's place). And that seems to make a difference. We take probiotics, l-glutamine, fish oil, and have been on various antifungals medicines. I think our doctor gradually worked us up to the strong stuff so the die off wouldn't be so severe. Or maybe he's just rotating the antifungal medicines like Connie says works for her.

burdee Enthusiast

I had candida symptoms for several years before my doc gave me a stool test which diagnosed high enough levels to treat. Although I had previously tried the suggested anticandida diet (no sweets, limited fruits, grains, no yeasts, no moldy foods, etc., etc.), I lost 4 pounds in 3 weeks on that diet and I'm not overweight. So when my test results showed I needed to treat candida, I went with Nystatin. I never had any 'die off' symptoms, because I already abstained from coffee and didn't eat many sweets. I did initially experience side effects from Nystatin (nausea and bloating) for a few days until my body adjusted to that medication. Nevertheless taking Nystatin plus probiotics for 3 months WITHOUT following any 'anticandida diet' rules completely eliminated my candida. I've had 2 more stool tests over the past 2 years that showed I was free of candida.

I've also heard that caprylic acid can effectively treat candida. I treated 3 bacterial infections with CA. CA also has side effects of bloating and nausea for a few days, no matter what kind of infection (bacterial or fungus) you treat. However, I had test results which indicated that my strain of candida was sensitive to (could be killed by) Nystatin, which I could get inexpensively at my HMO's pharmacy.

SUE

• 4 weeks later...
Dawnie Newbie

I have been gluten, corn and dairy (casein) free for months and feel better BUT I still have that bloaty gut so I went to my DO and she did a blood test for Candida and the results say that I have a "systemic overgrowth." I have finally managed to lose 12 pounds in just 2 weeks but now I am fighting a lot of physical pain and I think it is from Candida detox but I can't be sure?

Can someone please tell me why I am now very tense and achy and have a bad pain in my right shoulder, as though I have been punched repeatedly there? I have also had a lot headaches, which I usually don't have. Why would my right arm and shoulder hurt so badly? Is it possible that the Candida has lodged there for some reason (in addition to being in my gut)?

I have suspected that I had Candida overgrowth for awhile and I am already doing so many things to combat it such as:

limiting caffeine

no processed foods

digestive enzymes

L-glutamine

doubled my Omega oils

ginger tea

Coconut oil and milk

I am getting so tired of feeling so very achy! Is it from Candida detox? Am I doing too much at once? The aches and pains started right when I began the herbal detox that I got from my DO, but that also began my weight loss when nothing else seemed to work.

What does this wise group recommend to get the pain under control? Do I need a prescription to fight this Candida overgrowth?

Thanks so much! Annie

jackay Enthusiast

I am also treating candida. I cut out all fruit, grains, starchy vegetables, sugars and yeast.

I am also taking Candex by Pure Essence Labs. I've been on the Candex for about two weeks and have noticed that I am feeling better. I had such insomnia and started sleeping better, too. Candex is made up of natural enzymes that do not create die off issues. If I don't think I've eliminated the candida overgrowth by the time my Candex is finished, I will either order another month's supply or ask my doctor to put me on Nystatin.

I started out just eating chicken, olive oil and turnips. I have expanded that to include cauliflower, broccoli, onion, avacado, ground turkey and almonds. Tonight I'm going to add a little brown rice and see how that goes. If that doesn't create a problem, I will soon try some of the other gluten free grains.

Dawnie Newbie

limiting caffeine

no processed foods

digestive enzymes

L-glutamine

doubled my Omega oils

ginger tea

Coconut oil and milk

Thanks so much! Annie

Sorry to hear you're feeling so poorly. I got "sick" last July 2009. Was in and out of dr's offices and ER in tears and pain, begging for help. I couldn't eat. I was constipated, nauseated, bloated, abdominal pain, breast pain, right shoulder pain. After much personal research I began treating myself for Candida Albicans. (I did the spit test at home and my saliva sank like a rock!) I found a natural program online that rotated herbal supplements every month for 3 months.

I found great results with Enzymatic Therapy Whole Body Yeast Balance with YB Pearls.

When I began, I had joint aches and that weird pain in my right upper chest. I don't know what it is but now I only have it occasionally. I put my teenage daughter on some of the herbs and she experienced the same achy joints. It's been about 3 months now and I feel better than I have in years...maybe ever!

I'm careful about what I eat...I'm almost a gluten-free vegan (I eat cold-water fish). Symptoms that I didn't know were symptoms have cleared up; like cracked heels, peeling skin on my hands, cracked tongue. My ear & sinus issues are getting better. What I used to think were allergies seem more like yeast overgrowth in my sinus. When I eat fresh, peeled grapefruit everything immediately gets better, stomach & sinus.

God Bless & Get Better, Dawnie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Salax Contributor

For those of you that use agave, you should read this. Just something that we really should all be aware of.

Open Original Shared Link

Just trying to help. B)

• 5 years later...
Ellla Newbie

I am currently suffering the same pains you describe .  I am on the maximum dose of nystatin.  Pain started at my right wrist and has extended so far to my shoulder.  Now I think my right leg is getting sore.  I am tired as well.  I am hoping it is candida die-off.  After 30 years trying to find the answer to candida it would be a miracle to get well.  So I would like to know if your pains improved or did you give up on your candida regime? Thanks

kareng Grand Master
3 hours ago, Ellla said:

I am currently suffering the same pains you describe .  I am on the maximum dose of nystatin.  Pain started at my right wrist and has extended so far to my shoulder.  Now I think my right leg is getting sore.  I am tired as well.  I am hoping it is candida die-off.  After 30 years trying to find the answer to candida it would be a miracle to get well.  So I would like to know if your pains improved or did you give up on your candida regime? Thanks

This thread is from 2010 and I don't think any of these posters are still around.

cyclinglady Grand Master
6 hours ago, Ellla said:

Has celiac disease been ruled out?  

Archived