This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pickles, Relish, And Olives

kerrera

kerrera Rookie

Hi everyone! So, I've searched the board for answers to this question but am not finding exactly what I am looking for. It seems that most people believe that black olives are gluten-free. Is this ALL balck olives? What about the yummier, green and greek olives? I miss my olives. I also found a listing of gluten-free pickles but still have a question. If the pickles aren't jarred in vinegar, but water instead, this should be safe, correct? Are we really just worrying about the vinegar in pickles? Also, if distilled vinegar is ok, shouldn't most pickles be ok to eat? Same question regarding relish.

Thanks for your help,

Kristy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cdford Contributor

If you do not react to the vinegar (even if gluten-free, some do) then there are a number of gluten-free pickles available. Mt. Olive has a whole list. Kroger has some store brands that are as well.

I don't do olives, so I cannot help with that part of your question.

• 4 years later...
lyndserin Newbie

I am still confused about vinegar, pickles, green olives and other yummy pickled things.

Why do some Celiacs react to vinegar and others don't? Is it all vinegars that can be a problem for people with Celiacs or just white vinegar? Are some vinegars better than others (e.g. apple cider or balsamic vinegar is better than white?)

Also what about olives - green, greek...? If vinegar is fine shouldn't all pickled things be okay, or am I missing something?

If some brands are fine and others aren't (for pickles, olives...etc) does anyone have suggestions on brands that still taste yummy and are easy to find?

I am still finding something is making me sick and I think I am eating completely gluten free. But it has only been a year and there seems to be so much to learn!

Help is appreciated!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I am one of those celiacs that will react to distilled gluten grains in vinegar and alcohol. I use apple cider vinegar safely, which in the US is often labeled as just 'vinegar' I can't answer about the balsamic vinegars because I have never used them. Some distilled vinegars are corn or wood based. Heinz distilled was from corn last I checked. If you call the company that makes the items they should be able to tell you if the vinegar is derived from gluten grains. If you live in an area that has a Wegmans market they label the non-gluten grain vinegar items as gluten free, pickles and such with gluten grain vinegars don't carry the gluten free lable.

Chrissyb Enthusiast

I can eat black olives without any problem, but the other day I ate just a plain old green olive and I wanted to curl up in a little ball and die. My stomach burn so bad :( never again. I can eat relish and I can have things with vinger in them, apple cider, distilled, balsamic they all seem to be ok for me. I have not tried to eat just a plain pickel after the olive I don't think I will.

ang1e0251 Contributor

Just be cautious with dressings containing balsamic vinegars. Some are not gluten-free. You have to read the label. I have no problems with apple cider or white vinegars or any olives I have tried. Some can be sensitive. If something is still getting you, start a food journal and list your symptoms. It can be a real eye opener for sneaky gluten. Also you may react to something that lists itself as gluten-free but makes you feel bad. I don't bother to worry about that when it happens, just know I cannot eat that product. I don't always know the reason but I allow myself the leeway to sometimes not to "have" to know.

• 2 weeks later...
Eric-C Enthusiast

Thank you for posting this!

I gave up hot dogs for a long time but last year got a craving for them. Had one without the bun, no problem...had a few more and got sick in a much different way than regular glutening. I'd get an extreme burning sensation in my lower back and caused nerve problems.

Went away after a while but we both like pickle relish and could never figure out why I might be getting sick. Its always the same. Foggy feeling and lower back pain that can cause nerve problems.

In searching for gluten-free hotdogs I ran across this:

**Please note that Hunt's will not guarantee their Ketchup or Barbeque Sauce to be gluten free because they contain distilled vinegar Read following information:

Distilled Vinegar: Scientific tests show that all harmful peptides (from wheat) are removed during the distillation process of Distilled Vinegar. But, if you use a distilled vinegar and you notice any indication that your child may have an intolerance discontinue using it. Distilled Vinegars can be from wheat, corn, potatoes, beets, wood, apples and many other things.

This is good info and honestly it was the last piece of the puzzle as to where my problems were coming from.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

"**Please note that Hunt's will not guarantee their Ketchup or Barbeque Sauce to be gluten free because they contain distilled vinegar Read following information:

Distilled Vinegar: Scientific tests show that all harmful peptides (from wheat) are removed during the distillation process of Distilled Vinegar. But, if you use a distilled vinegar and you notice any indication that your child may have an intolerance discontinue using it. Distilled Vinegars can be from wheat, corn, potatoes, beets, wood, apples and many other things."

This is old information.

If the vinegar in their ketchup or BBQ sauce or anything else came from wheat, it would HAVE to by law be listed (in the U.S.). The fact is that only a very, very tiny percentage of distilled vinegar comes from wheat. Something like less than 5 percent last time I saw a figure, and, as I said, that would have to be clearly marked. If the vinegar doesn't say wheat or wheat isn't listed in the ingredients, the vinegar didn't come from wheat. It's that simple now.

richard

shirleyujest Contributor

This is just anecdotal, but since going gluten-free I've eaten sweet pickle relish and black olives and pimento-stuffed spanish olives (Trader Joe's brands) and have had no problem. If you eat those items and do have a reaction, I would explore the possibility that you may be sensitive to vinegar. I know someone like that, she couldn't tolerate any condiments.

Archived