This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does Emotional Stress Make You Worse?

Saz36

Saz36 Newbie

Hey ( a celiac virgin here ;)) , i have been gluten/soya and diary free since the middle of january, I had two weeks of feeling fantastic, sleeping properly and generally looking healthy but for the last three i have felt really rough. I am sure i haven't eaten anything i shouldn't although the soya allergy is a NIGHTMARE!!! Do your emotions play havoc on your body as i have had a bereavement or is it just the healing process??? having felt so good its disheartening to feel so bad. I don't know anyone with food allergies to ask and my mates just think i am lucky losing over 63ibs, unhelpful i know and my family have other things to worry about.

Any help would be greatly appreciated .

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

Hello & Welcome

To answer your question yes, emotional issues can play a part in your recovery... Since you are very new to the lifestyle it is hard to say if its just your body trying to adapt to the new gluten-free foods & withdrawal . It's prpbably some of both. It is common to have ups & downs in the healing process.And it does take time, some feel better sooner than others ... There are some who after three- four even five years still have issues. Then others get instant gradification.

Many of us have found after going off wehat products we get more in tune with our own bodies & find we have sensitivies to other food items. Ie: corn, soy, dairy & so on.

Sorry for your issues of bereavement... that is always a tough thing to cope with. My prayers are with you.

blessings

mamaw

Gemini Experienced

Hey ( a celiac virgin here ;)) , i have been gluten/soya and diary free since the middle of january, I had two weeks of feeling fantastic, sleeping properly and generally looking healthy but for the last three i have felt really rough. I am sure i haven't eaten anything i shouldn't although the soya allergy is a NIGHTMARE!!! Do your emotions play havoc on your body as i have had a bereavement or is it just the healing process??? having felt so good its disheartening to feel so bad. I don't know anyone with food allergies to ask and my mates just think i am lucky losing over 63ibs, unhelpful i know and my family have other things to worry about.

Any help would be greatly appreciated .

Absolutely! Stress has a direct affect on the immune system and can make problems you are having a lot worse. I stressed myself into a case of shingles last year and it was not fun. I know it's hard to chill out when things pile up but try to have some fun when you are getting all stressed out so you can relax a bit. I am so sorry it was a bereavement which affected you....that can be tougher to deal with. Hang in there and stick with the diet...it'll get much better!

gluten-freedom Newbie

A resounding YES!

I feel every emotion in my gut. Nervous, anxious, scared, worried, angry... even butterflies when I'm happy.

You are not alone.

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

You said you had a bereavement. I am so sorry for whatever your loss is. Sadly, celiac can also be a bereavement because you lose so much when you get diagnosed.

If you use the search function on this board at the top and put in "withdrawals" you can read about other people's experiences at length and you'll find out it's not uncommon to go up and down for awhile. You'll also read about what people do with their diet to promote healing. I spent quite a bit of time reading old threads and it helped me a lot.

Sometimes your GI tract is just sensitive for awhile. I felt pretty bad this morning from eating too much gluten free junk food yesterday. I wasn't glutened, but my tummy just couldn't handle the onslaught of 2 cookies, a brownie and some chocolate. UGH and ooops.

Saz36 Newbie

You said you had a bereavement. I am so sorry for whatever your loss is. Sadly, celiac can also be a bereavement because you lose so much when you get diagnosed.

If you use the search function on this board at the top and put in "withdrawals" you can read about other people's experiences at length and you'll find out it's not uncommon to go up and down for awhile. You'll also read about what people do with their diet to promote healing. I spent quite a bit of time reading old threads and it helped me a lot.

Sometimes your GI tract is just sensitive for awhile. I felt pretty bad this morning from eating too much gluten free junk food yesterday. I wasn't glutened, but my tummy just couldn't handle the onslaught of 2 cookies, a brownie and some chocolate. UGH and ooops.

Saz36 Newbie

Thanks for replying and your thoughts, i am hanging in there and its a relief to know that its not neccessarily because i have been glutened?soya'd or dairy'd. Although thanks to sandsurfgirl, i to have been tucking into the naughty gluten free food for comfort although my stomach doesn't feel very comfy right now so. I just feel constantly hungry yet nothing seems to stay in me for long, even bland food, if anyone has any recipes or suggestions they would be appreciated.

Thanks again and hope you feel better sandsurfgirl

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gluten-freedom Newbie

I just feel constantly hungry yet nothing seems to stay in me for long, even bland food, if anyone has any recipes or suggestions they would be appreciated.

my favorite thing for situations like this is to make a big pot of quinoa, cooked in half water, half gluten-free chicken broth (or veggie broth, if you prefer). it's easy, yummy, nutritious, and soothing.

DownWithGluten Explorer

A resounding YES!

I feel every emotion in my gut. Nervous, anxious, scared, worried, angry... even butterflies when I'm happy.

You are not alone.

That was EXACTLY how I was...but BEFORE going gluten - free. Stress unequivocally provoked the "attacks." I remember thinking it felt like someone pressing a button of this poison into my stomach, constant pressing as I felt nervous that would always end in some digestive attack.

But after going gluten free, that went a way. For a while the nervousness went to the stomach...but that was one of the first solid signs to me that the diet was working. I was insanely nervous/anxious/stressed about something...and one week went by, then another...and no digestive attack!! I was stunned, and I was convinced.

Now when I'm nervous I really don't feel it in my stomach/backside at all like I used to. Just tenseness in the jaw and things like that, probably what most normal people experience...

So...I hope it goes away for you soon.

book-worm Apprentice

Stress quite often affects people physically. Headaches, migraines, asthma, blood pressure, skin or digestive problems, you get the idea.

I

Saz36 Newbie

Thanks for your replies, it turns out that i now react to sugar which brings very similar symptons to gluten so we are now religiously sticking to whole foods but avoiding fruit in the hope that i will stop feeling as tho i have done ten rounds with mike tyson.

That was EXACTLY how I was...but BEFORE going gluten - free. Stress unequivocally provoked the "attacks." I remember thinking it felt like someone pressing a button of this poison into my stomach, constant pressing as I felt nervous that would always end in some digestive attack.

But after going gluten free, that went a way. For a while the nervousness went to the stomach...but that was one of the first solid signs to me that the diet was working. I was insanely nervous/anxious/stressed about something...and one week went by, then another...and no digestive attack!! I was stunned, and I was convinced.

Now when I'm nervous I really don't feel it in my stomach/backside at all like I used to. Just tenseness in the jaw and things like that, probably what most normal people experience...

So...I hope it goes away for you soon.

Archived