• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Any Celiac Teens Out There?

78 posts in this topic

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

runningcrazy    11

Hi, I'm Kelly. I've been a celiac for about eight years now. I've never had a friend with it, so I was hoping to meet some teens on here that also have Celiac's. (:

Hi! Im 14 and I've had it like 8 months now.. it sucks! But its great to know there are others out there...!! Whats up??:)

RideAllWays    27

I'm 19, been diagnosed for a year now :) Anybody in BC, Canada? I'd really like to meet some Celiacs, I feel so alone..

Gfresh404    11

19 - from MA.

I have to say I know how all you guys feel. But I think eventually, I just realized - that we are ALL actually alone. I know that sounds kind of depressing, but it's true. And it certainly does not have to be depressing. After I accepted that, I was actually happier than before I had come to that realization.

By becoming more independent and improving myself - I became more attractive than I've ever been. That in turn boosted my self-confidence, which in turn boosted my happiness.

I know a lot of issues seem to be tied to gluten at first, but eventually you'll realize - a lot of them are just life's problems. And I know it's especially hard for teenagers since most of us are kind of confused anyway (I know I was!) but things do get better. I can promise you that. I have only been gluten-free for 1 year and 3 months and the changes over the past 6 months have been absurd.

• Upvote 1

gintare519    1

Hi, I'm Kelly. I've been a celiac for about eight years now. I've never had a friend with it, so I was hoping to meet some teens on here that also have Celiac's. (:

Hey! Well I'm Gintare. Normally referred as Gina. I actually have had it since about 5th grade. I remember I went to the ER multiple multiple times due to severe abdominal pain. Not one doctor knew what it was. So I recently started to do some research on my own. And I have come across "celiac disease". It sounded JUST like what I have been phasing with. So actually, just about 2 weeks ago, I went to get tested for the disease. It turns out I have it. Not to mention, I am also lactose intolerant and vegan. What a small range of food now! haha. How depressing. I literally look 8 months pregnant at night after I have foods with gluten in it. Its horrible!! XD

Ads by Google:

kbug    0

Gintare me too! My pants won't button at allll... and good luck trying to wear a fitting shirt, right? :lol:

smilie    0

Hey! Well I'm Gintare. Normally referred as Gina. I actually have had it since about 5th grade. I remember I went to the ER multiple multiple times due to severe abdominal pain. Not one doctor knew what it was. So I recently started to do some research on my own. And I have come across "celiac disease". It sounded JUST like what I have been phasing with. So actually, just about 2 weeks ago, I went to get tested for the disease. It turns out I have it. Not to mention, I am also lactose intolerant and vegan. What a small range of food now! haha. How depressing. I literally look 8 months pregnant at night after I have foods with gluten in it. Its horrible!! XD

Hi, I'm 12 almost 13 and I started having problems when I was 5 and like you went to ER, Even the famous Cook Children

Ads by Google:

Eilidh    1

I am 19 and have had celiac for 9 years. I am now on SCD diet.

Hey I'm 17 and I live in B.C. Canada. I've known that I was celiac for 6 years. I live on an island where it is pretty common, because everyone is so intouch with their health. My mom actually runs a gluten-free bakery, so thats sweet, but there are only 2 teens here that know they have it. And I want to meet some more teens who know how it is.

Anyone nearby?

Ads by Google:

Hey,I'm Kasey 17 yrs old. diagnosed for a year. I promise it gets better!! :lol:

Rebecca, 19. I self-diagnosed in Feb via diet change. No doctor could help so I just started looking myself. I live in Barrie, ON during the summer months, and in St. John's NL for the school year. Anyone in either province??

Celiacs Mom    1

Hi

I am the mom of a 17 year old who diagnosed herself about a month ago after talking to a teacher at her school who had the same problems. My daughter is a competive irish dancer (about 8- 10 hrs practice a week) and has had exercise induced asthma about 10 years and stomach problems all her life. She was told two years ago she definitely had irritable bowel syndrome and to change her diet. Add more fibre they said. She felt somewhat better but couldn't get her exercise induced asthma under control changing from one puffer to another. A top child respirologist had no solution. She would dance in a competition coming off stage doubled over, gasping for air and wanting to throw up. FIVE DAYS without gluten she went in a competition came off stage short of breath because she had worked hard but besides that she was fine. Unbelievable!! She has increased her stamina and doesn't require her puffer nearly as much!

• Upvote 1

Ads by Google:

bCoy    1

Names Brandon, im 18 from New Jersey. I was diagnosed 17 years ago. been on Celiac diet my whole life. Its not bad at all to be honest. im actually the healthiest person in my family lol

• Upvote 1

G-freegal12    0

Hi!, I'm 13 and in August I will be gluten-free for A WHOLE ENTIRE YEAR (wow) lol :lol:

I am bein' glutend right now... I look like I should be looking at pacifires and maternity shirts...

Hineys <3    0

Heyy Girl! :] I'm Helen. I'm 17! I self diagnosed in January of this year, Almost everyone on my moms side has Celiac and one aunt on my dads does and it still took a year to figure out what it was. I have been gluten free for 6 months now and I'm finding that its really not that hard now that i found amazing pizza!! I live in Kentucky and would LOVE to know some people around here with it! Even if your from other places though, I would love to chat..I'm a talker in case you cant tell! :] Hit me up some time!

Hineys <3    0

My names Helen. Im 17 and was diagnosed january of this year however, I have been suffering with symptoms since May of 2009. I dont know anyone my age thats not family that has Celiac and would love to talk to some people.

Cassidy, 17&1/2.

I was diagnosed 12 years ago. That's before there was "all purpose gluten free flour". Baking was awful.

Actually, that was before decent bread... Our breadmaker made one very lovely doorstop before it was retired.

I like to talk, and answer questions. Oh, and making friends.

So hi (:

Lett    0

Hi, im 15 (almost 16) years old boy. I was diagnosed with celiac when i was 10 (one day before my 11th birthday, so that was my birthday gift from a doctor, lol)

eeyore    0

I'm 14 -I was diagnosed almost 2 years ago...

Mike7    3

19 - from MA.

I have to say I know how all you guys feel. But I think eventually, I just realized - that we are ALL actually alone. I know that sounds kind of depressing, but it's true. And it certainly does not have to be depressing. After I accepted that, I was actually happier than before I had come to that realization.

By becoming more independent and improving myself - I became more attractive than I've ever been. That in turn boosted my self-confidence, which in turn boosted my happiness.

I know a lot of issues seem to be tied to gluten at first, but eventually you'll realize - a lot of them are just life's problems. And I know it's especially hard for teenagers since most of us are kind of confused anyway (I know I was!) but things do get better. I can promise you that. I have only been gluten-free for 1 year and 3 months and the changes over the past 6 months have been absurd.

Hey, I'm 19 and from MA

Oh and RideAllWays, BC, Canada is where it's at...best city in Canada

Aeva    2

Aeva, 18

I've had ongoing stomach issues my whole life. I got unofficially diagnosed a few years ago, gave up with no improvement and have now officially been told (yay bloodwork!) that I am, in fact, gluten intolerant. It's been about 4 months now, and I haven't seen that much improvement yet, although I've got a few other minor health things going on too, which prolly don't help.

Oh, and I live about 20 minutes outside NYC.

Kelly&Mom    3

My daughter Kelly (14) was diagnosed about a year ago now and is doing much better although we've added IBS (especially dairy) to the mix of "bad" foods. We were given an amazing gluten-free dessert cookbook and she's been baking up a storm for us! chocolate cheesecake, chocolate pecan pie, brownies, banana cream pie, cakes, cookies..... Yum! She wants to open a bakery! Luckily most of her friends are very understanding and helpful, actually make her gluten-free things or check to see what she can eat for sleep-overs. She's gained weight, has so much more energy and personality! You are not alone and lucky to have gotten diagnosed now. I'm 45 and finally got a diagnosis in Feb. of this year after having stomach issues since I can remember. My mom died of a celiac related cancer so I'm so glad I have a fighting chance!