This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sinus Infections

sandsurfgirl

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

I've had chronic sinus infections for a few years now. When I got diagnosed with celiac, I figured that they must be connected to it. I was tested for allergies and they came back very mild. My immune response was tested in case my immune system was weak and causing the infections and that came back nice and strong. So all this time the allergist was stumped as to why I got so many infections.

Well I've been doing quite well sinus wise for the past couple of months gluten free and yesterday I came down with a bad one. I'm trying to avoid antibiotics because that's the last thing my healing gut needs.

So now I'm wondering if it is connected to celiac or not. And I'm wondering what I should do about it, because I'm scared to take antibiotics and once again destroy my precious gut flora that I've been working so hard to restore these past 2 months.

I'm doing sinus rinses with saline and taking decongestants to loosen things up. Also ibuprofen for the swelling and pain. Of course the doc has no answers.

Interestingly, I also have soy intolerance and after being soy free for 2 months I decided to challenge it. The next day the sinus infection cropped up so I'm also wondering if soy intolerance has been causing them because I was drinking soymilk everyday in the morning with my coffee or tea.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MRM Apprentice

it probably varies from person to person. my main symptom of gluten intolerance was sinus issues. i don't know if i had infections but my sinuses very inflamed and swollen and my ear were both full of fluid. this was going on 5+ months of constant daily head aches and sinus pressure. within a week of being off gluten i could breathe clearly again and i haven't had a headache daily.

since being off gluten i've noticed great improvement with my digestive track but it really seemed to be attacking my sinuses. i have an ENT appt. next week and then a follow up with my allergist. i'm highly allergic to just about every thing outside according to my testing done in February. i wonder how much of that my system being over loaded by gluten and how much is just regular allergies.

i wouldn't be surprised if soy caused your current inflammation. if you can handle the discomfort waiting it out a few more days might be all you need. if may not be a true infection but more of a reaction to the soy. i hope you're feeling better soon.

larry mac Enthusiast

ssg,

Interesting question. One I've never thought about.

Funny coincidence also, I've got a real doozy of a sinus infection. Third one I've had this winter. The first one responded well to a Z-Pac (Zithromax), and a full resumption of my allergy meds, Claritan/Zirtek, and Flonase & Astelan nose sprays. Same thing the second time, except I was told to stay on the allergy meds. It came back anyway a couple months later. Now I'm on Omnicef (antibiotic). Plus just about everything I can take to try and dry this crud up.

As long as I stay away from the antibiotic Augmentin, I'm usually OK. It really tears my stomach up. Also, I firmly believe it was responsible for a chain of events leading to the triggering of my Celiac Disease. First I got a bad cold/sinus infection. Augmentin led to a bad case of C-Diff. Stronger antibiotics were needed to kill that. My stomach never fully recovered leading to an eventual diagnoses of Celiac two years later.

That's my story, I'm sticking to it.

As for a connection between sinus infections and Celiac, I've had sinus infections every year for as long as I can remember. Maybe not as often as this year, but still. And wouldn't they be fewer after going gluten-free? All my other symptoms improved. Perhaps one is more prone to catch bugs with an auto-immune disorder, just in general?

best regards, lm

bluebonnet Explorer

i've had ongoing sinus infections, chronic bronchitis as well as pnuemonia 4x's despite taking meds properly. everything i've researched pointed to celiac being a possible link because of the chronic inflammation and poor immune system. have you tried the nettipot? that was surprisingly helpful to me.

i know there is quite a bit of sinus and stomach bugs going around in our neck of the woods ... hopefully yours will pass without needing antibiotics! :)

buffettbride Enthusiast

my daughter had ridiculous sinus infections before she was dx as celiac. when she gets glutened, she'll end up with a sinus infection about 1-2 weeks later. never fails.

GFinDC Veteran

I used to have bad allergies, hay fever, since I was about 18. Spring and fall were the worst. I took shots for it which helped some. But I was always sure to have an anti-histamine with me and took them regularly so I could see and function.

After I Went gluten-free my allergies reduced a great deal. I rarely take anti-histamines now, and seldom have symptoms. That's 32 years of bad hayfever symptoms that basically almost evaporated. When I do have symptoms they are mild and easier to deal with. Another thing that improved was my gums got much stronger and healthier.

Jenny (AZ via TX) Enthusiast

I had chronic sinus infections and terrible allergies for many years. After being dx'd with celiac and going gluten free (it's been 2 years) I have not had one sinus infection. Also, very few allergies now. I don't take allergy meds anymore and I was taking prescription generic allegra as well as generic flonase. I used to have to make sure I had tissues with me at all times because my nose seemed to run constantly.

For me, going gluten free has made a huge difference regarding my sinuses and allergies. My headaches have also been reduced, but I still get them occasionally. I hope going gluten free works for you too!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
GrandmaK Newbie

ssg,

Interesting question. One I've never thought about.

Funny coincidence also, I've got a real doozy of a sinus infection. Third one I've had this winter. The first one responded well to a Z-Pac (Zithromax), and a full resumption of my allergy meds, Claritan/Zirtek, and Flonase & Astelan nose sprays. Same thing the second time, except I was told to stay on the allergy meds. It came back anyway a couple months later. Now I'm on Omnicef (antibiotic). Plus just about everything I can take to try and dry this crud up.

As long as I stay away from the antibiotic Augmentin, I'm usually OK. It really tears my stomach up. Also, I firmly believe it was responsible for a chain of events leading to the triggering of my Celiac Disease. First I got a bad cold/sinus infection. Augmentin led to a bad case of C-Diff. Stronger antibiotics were needed to kill that. My stomach never fully recovered leading to an eventual diagnoses of Celiac two years later.

best regards, lm

I was having sinus infections every two months like clockwork. I googled sinus infections and fungal or yeast infections and lo and behold - there was an enormous amount of research connecting the two. So the first thing I did, was to quit taking antibiotics - the infections were not bacterial which is why they never went away.

I had been using the sinus rinses with saline solution and getting some relief that way. To the saline I added a couple drops of GSE by Nutribiotic. Grapefruit seed extract is a natural sterilizer and completely harmless. I also took oil of oregano and a couple of other antifungals.

It was at about this time that I realized I had gluten intolerance symptoms and started looking at what in my diet might be taxing my immune system. Together with a gluten free/sugar free diet and some Pearls for good flora from Enzymatic Therapy I had a complete recovery from the sinus infections. My immune system is stronger and I am feeling better.

I hope you will read up on GSE and its properties. Feel Better!

K.

jerseyangel Proficient

I haven't had a sinus infection since I went gluten-free 5 years ago. Prior to that, I had them often and took way too many antibiotics. When the antibiotics failed to work, I was given steroids--pills and injections.

I still have allergic rhinitis, but keep that at bay with sinus irrigation and Nasacort AQ when necessary.

burdee Enthusiast

Abstaining from dairy eliminated my chronic sinus infections. While I consumed dairy I had constant sinus congestion to the point that I couldn't smell anything but very strong odors. Everytime I got a cold, I developed a sinus infection. I seldom could breathe through my nose. After I stopped consuming any form of casein, whey or any dairy related ingredients, all those symptoms disappeared. Now when I get a cold, I had a runny nose, fatigue, slight cough and/or headache. No more congestion. No more dairy for me!

SUE

buffettbride Enthusiast

My daughter had terrible sinus problems pre-dx and they cleared up with the diet. When she gets glutened, though, she's almost sure to get one.

frieze Community Regular

be aware of the possibility that there could be a fungal component to the sinus infection...which the antibiotics will not touch. and, yes for some there appears a correlation between celiac and sinus infection/inflammation.

• 3 weeks later...
JB77 Newbie

As a veteran of years of inner ear infections (in my early years and requiring hospitalization) and sinus infections (two to three a year), I can sympathize. However, I am reluctant to share my cure since it is very inexpensive, it does not require a doctor and it works. I have shared this with many people and most blow it off. Those who have adopted it, experience the same relief I do. The key is to keep your sinuses moist. This is done using saline solution. I started using saline in 1992 and have not had a sinus infection since. You do have to experiment to find the right way to use saline. I use an over-the-counter spray bottle. However, the purchased spray has preservatives. I use the spray until the bottle is empty and then I reuse the bottle by making my own saline. Make sure you thoroughly clean the bottle and bring your saline solution to a boil. Since my solution has no preservative, I never go over two weeks between refills. You may have to experiment on the amount of salt used. I mix a little less than a tablespoon of table salt to two cups of water and bring it to a boil in the microwave. I reuse the bottle for about a year then throw it away and buy a new one. AS far as treatment, I put two to three drops in each nostril every night while laying in the bed before turning the light off. Once I put the drops in, I breathe deeply through my nostrils to help the moisture get up into my sinuses. If I feel sinus pressure building, I will also use the spray several times during the day until the pressure is relieved. My wife prefers using "Simply Saline" which is a saline dispensed from a pressurized can. Hence, do what works for you. If you research this on the internet, you will find many who recommend saline (Neti Pots and sinus irrigation, etc). The key is to keep your sinuses moist enough that they are able to properly drain. Sinus infections occur when the sinuses block up and the infection grows behind the blockage. Most doctors will tell you that this is a viable means of treatment, but will go no further in telling you how to do it. They cannot make money off this!! Please try this, I think you will find it easy, inexpensive and effective.

John in Tennessee

I've had chronic sinus infections for a few years now. When I got diagnosed with celiac, I figured that they must be connected to it. I was tested for allergies and they came back very mild. My immune response was tested in case my immune system was weak and causing the infections and that came back nice and strong. So all this time the allergist was stumped as to why I got so many infections.

Well I've been doing quite well sinus wise for the past couple of months gluten free and yesterday I came down with a bad one. I'm trying to avoid antibiotics because that's the last thing my healing gut needs.

So now I'm wondering if it is connected to celiac or not. And I'm wondering what I should do about it, because I'm scared to take antibiotics and once again destroy my precious gut flora that I've been working so hard to restore these past 2 months.

I'm doing sinus rinses with saline and taking decongestants to loosen things up. Also ibuprofen for the swelling and pain. Of course the doc has no answers.

Interestingly, I also have soy intolerance and after being soy free for 2 months I decided to challenge it. The next day the sinus infection cropped up so I'm also wondering if soy intolerance has been causing them because I was drinking soymilk everyday in the morning with my coffee or tea.

summerteeth Enthusiast

i've had ongoing sinus infections, chronic bronchitis as well as pnuemonia 4x's despite taking meds properly. everything i've researched pointed to celiac being a possible link because of the chronic inflammation and poor immune system. have you tried the nettipot? that was surprisingly helpful to me.

i know there is quite a bit of sinus and stomach bugs going around in our neck of the woods ... hopefully yours will pass without needing antibiotics! :)

Agree on the Neti Pot - it really helps me during allergy season.

That being said, I used to get sinus infections all year long - and they would get very painful. I haven't had one in about a year and a half (I was diagnosed about a year and seven months ago). You may be on to something...

Swimmr Contributor

I have awful sinus problems and I know that is NOT linked with my gluten intolerance (soon to find out for sure if it's Celiac). If I do not get to the doctor or start on mucinex pronto, within 24 hours of the first sign of a sinus infection it moves to my chest and I get severe bronchitis and then I'm in the doc's being put on antibiotics and cough medicine.

My ONLY salvation is staying on an allergy med all year long. So far it's worked because I got ONE sinus infection this winter - ONE! And usually I'll get 3 to 4 a year with bronchitis twice. My past history with ear infections was linked to my sinuses as well. This year before I started on Allegra, I had an ear infection that turned into labrynthitis (vertigo-like) and I got the ear infection from not taking care of the sinus issue right away. People think I'm nuts when I tell them the links, but it's true and maybe it's something you need to try. I like allegra. No side affects at all and it's keeping me from clearing my throat all the time. I don't wake up all stuffy every morning and i don't go to bed with one side stuffed up and one side clear.

Hope it all works out for ya!

• 2 weeks later...
Looking for answers Contributor

Although I never had sinus infections, I did have chronic bronchitis (2-3 cases per year) prior to going gluten free. After going gluten free, I haven't had a single case!!!

sb2178 Enthusiast

Although I never had sinus infections, I did have chronic bronchitis (2-3 cases per year) prior to going gluten free. After going gluten free, I haven't had a single case!!!

No sinus infections, but definitely ear infections and bronchitis. Acupuncture was the best non-med solution to ear infections (as opposed to however many rounds of antibiotics). Seriously instant drainage, decreased inflammation, and then I could heal. Would imagine it works similarly for sinus infections.

• 2 weeks later...
Coolclimates Collaborator

I, too, have had sinus problems for the last few years. Not so much sinus infection, but more like allergies to pollen. My face and nose will get a lot of pressure, which can be very uncomfortable, as well as headaches. Sometimes I also get some pain around my teeth (more sinuses). I was tested for allergies several years ago and came out negative, rather my doc told me I had "pseudo allergies." In otherwords, not true allergies but symptoms that mimic allergies and respond to allergy medication. Anyone else been told this?

I also have had numerous problems with yeast infections, although I'm not sure if this is another common symptom of Celiac disease or not.

• 2 years later...
samanthasouth Newbie

Hi I am new to this site. I was taking antibiotics and steroids over and over again every few months for my sinus problems. Also ibuprofen. But both of them can cause problems with stomach, even ulcers and can give candida. Ibuprofen was given for the pain but it can cause polyps in the nose. I now have problems with my stomach which are bad which I am sure I would not have had otherwise. I found the best way to clear my ears of fluid was to take a lot of vitamin c and garlic. I am going to switch over to a diet which cuts out dairy sugar,refined foods, fruit, yeast etc and see if that helps. But am going to eat my way through the food already in the freezers and cupboard first! Not throwing that out. Am now taking a good pro biotic every day.

An anti fungal medication. Hope this helps.

Archived