This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Raging, Inflammed Intestines

Link

Link Rookie

HELP!!! I've followed a gluten-free diet since last Oct.09. Went gluten-free, casein free, egg, soy, yeast free in Dec. 09. Started doing betten at that point. About six weeks ago, I visited my son at college and dined out and must have inadvertantly ingested one of those food proteins. I have NOT recovered from that. I don't know if I keep adding insult to injury or what. I also know that I cannot eat: corn, fresh fruit, fresh veggies or salad--they send me to the bathroom to never emerge AGAIN!! Last night I made turkey stirfry over rice. I guess the veggies weren't cooked long enough since my stomach has been gurgling/rumbling ever since...and I have made many trips to the bathroom--not a pleasant experience. I am at my wits end as to how to get my insides healed to the point that I experience a normal BM. Since I started my gluten-free diet, I have only had a six-day stretch of near normal BM's. Sorry to be so graphic. I have had stool and gene testing; both positive for gluten sensitivity (two glu. sens. genes) with the sensitivites listed above. The Celiac research center at UMBC told me to go get the blood work, the biopsy, and a colonoscopy before they would even give me an appt. I have no insurance to do that. I'm an RN but should I see a nutritionist? I have no problem sticking to a diet that eliminates all the offending food...I am a consistent label reader and I cook all my food. But, nothing seems to help since my insides seem to be revolting no matter what I consume. Should I be fasting for several days to give my gut a rest? Should I be eating nothing but chicken broth for a week? I know if I can get out of this inflammed state...I may be able to get back on the right track. Any suggestions?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Steveofmt Newbie

Maybe it is time for a drastic step. I have heard of people who eliminate everything except boiled or grilled chicken and rice until your intestines stabilize then add back one thing at a time.

HELP!!! I've followed a gluten-free diet since last Oct.09. Went gluten-free, casein free, egg, soy, yeast free in Dec. 09. Started doing betten at that point. About six weeks ago, I visited my son at college and dined out and must have inadvertantly ingested one of those food proteins. I have NOT recovered from that. I don't know if I keep adding insult to injury or what. I also know that I cannot eat: corn, fresh fruit, fresh veggies or salad--they send me to the bathroom to never emerge AGAIN!! Last night I made turkey stirfry over rice. I guess the veggies weren't cooked long enough since my stomach has been gurgling/rumbling ever since...and I have made many trips to the bathroom--not a pleasant experience. I am at my wits end as to how to get my insides healed to the point that I experience a normal BM. Since I started my gluten-free diet, I have only had a six-day stretch of near normal BM's. Sorry to be so graphic. I have had stool and gene testing; both positive for gluten sensitivity (two glu. sens. genes) with the sensitivites listed above. The Celiac research center at UMBC told me to go get the blood work, the biopsy, and a colonoscopy before they would even give me an appt. I have no insurance to do that. I'm an RN but should I see a nutritionist? I have no problem sticking to a diet that eliminates all the offending food...I am a consistent label reader and I cook all my food. But, nothing seems to help since my insides seem to be revolting no matter what I consume. Should I be fasting for several days to give my gut a rest? Should I be eating nothing but chicken broth for a week? I know if I can get out of this inflammed state...I may be able to get back on the right track. Any suggestions?

tictax707 Apprentice

I am so so sorry for your pain. I have been there. I was sick for six weeks once too and it was one of the worst times ever. It sounds like your gut is really inflamed like you say. Then it doesn't matter what you eat - even if it is stuff you can eat when your gut is not inflamed. I've fasted before and it "helps" but it's not really good for you. None of my doctors has EVER recommended fasting, so while sometimes it makes me feel better, it does weaken me, which probably inhibits healing. SO. I would recommend finding things that are really easy on your gut. No solid food, but it needs to have nutrients your body needs. I am a HUGE fan of gerber rice baby cereal. You can mix with water, rice milk, or whatever. I also get this meal replacement formula called alpha ENF. It's from canada, but it is gluten and casein free, (but I am not sure about the soy) and it's designed specifically for inflamed guts. Chicken broth is good too, but has little in the way of real nutrients. I recommend pedialyte to get your electrolytes in balance after all that diah. Also - all the fresh fruit & veggies are good for you when your gut is healthy, but when it's not, it's actually pretty tough to digest, especially if it's fresh. After just a day or two of "rest" with the other food sources, I sometimes try introducing steamed or boiled carrots - but cooked so that they are really, really soft. I take it one day at a time. When i start feeling better, I usually give myself just one more day before introducing more real foods. Keep us posted.

deepsong Newbie
I also get this meal replacement formula called alpha ENF. It's from canada, but it is gluten and casein free, (but I am not sure about the soy) and it's designed specifically for inflamed guts.

I looked this up online and found the site with ordering info. What is the taste/texture of this stuff like? I've been looking for something like this for a kid that works for my husband, but I'm concerned he won't eat/drink something that is "yucky."

mushroom Proficient

Are you sure about the casein, or is it just lactose? I ask this because I was tested as casein intolerant but could eat cheese, yogurt, anything cultured, just fine, so it was not an accurate assessment. I also ask it because I find nothing calms my inflamed intestines like yogurt. I use it as a preferable alternative to the neat scotch I used to use :lol: -- I think that that just shocked it into submission while the yogurt soothes it (but we are all different with our own solutions--just a suggestion).

lizard00 Enthusiast

That was how I was in the beginning. I get the milder form of that now when I get glutened. I ate chicken, bananas, potatoes and maybe one or two more things for what seemed like two weeks. They were the only things that bothered me minimally. When they stopped, I started adding things little by little. To agree with another poster, find what doesn't bother you, or what bothers you the least and stick with that until things calm down. Which, hopefully won't take too long. :)

tictax707 Apprentice

I looked this up online and found the site with ordering info. What is the taste/texture of this stuff like? I've been looking for something like this for a kid that works for my husband, but I'm concerned he won't eat/drink something that is "yucky."

I get the plain, not the vanilla, and I usually blend it with OJ or soymilk and a banana. That sort of mellows out the flavor a bit. If you add more fruits like berries, peaches, it hides it even more. But that depends on how well your gut is holding up. Even though the extra fruit is blended, if your gut is really inflamed I would keep it to the juice/soymilk & banana. The flavor isn't as strong as say, our bean flours are, but it's not nothing. It reminds me a little of chicken broth, but a little sweeter. The texture is a pretty fine powder. You can get clumps if you aren't up on the stirring, but it goes into solution all right nonetheless.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived