This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Anyone Know Anything About Avocado Allergies?

Black Sheep

Black Sheep Apprentice

Well now if this isn't strange. For me, that is, since I've never been "allergic" to any food that I know of. All of my life I hated avocados--thought they were slimy, nasty things. It's just been within the last year that started making my own guac, and found I liked it. So every now and then I'll whip some up to have on hand as a healthy snacking alternative, along with baked corn chips. No problem.

Until a couple of weeks ago. I've been g.f. for 1 month today. About two weeks ago I made my usual guac and honestly, I do this more for a healthy snack than for taste, because although I like my home made guac, it's not something that I load up on a chip. I'll eat maybe a tablespoon at any given time. That's about all I ate then, but I noticed about 45 minutes later my stomach begin to hurt a little, but I ignored it. Then it hurt more and I noticed it was beginning to bloat. My actual stomach, not abdomen. Then it got to the point where the pain was so severe I was doubled-over, and it hurt really bad all that night. It was a couple of days before the pain went away completely. At the time I blamed it on my HCL pills, thinking I had taken too many during dinner (I have hypochoridia, so I have to take HCL w/meals. However, I take only 1 or 2 of the lowest-dose ones, which always seems just right.) But I thought it odd that if that's what it was, it took such a long time to start hurting. Which it wouldn't, looking back--the rare times I've taken too much, I knew it right away. I briefly wondered if it could be the avocado, but dismissed it, since I'd eaten it a lot before, with no ill effects.

Until about an hour ago. I made some guac last night, and just a bit ago ate about 2 tsp. of it with baked tortilla chips. Same reaction. The chips alone have never done this, so it's got to be the avocado. Boy am I done with them! :P

Does anyone else have a reaction like this to avocados? And if so, what can you do for the pain?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wolicki Enthusiast

Are you certain that the chips are gluten free and that the reaction is not to an ingredient in the chips? Did you eat chips and guac together both times?

Sometimes it is tricky to figure out. Since you are new to the diet, I would guess it is probably a secondary food intolerance. I don't know how common it is to develop a sensitivity to avocado, cut corn is a big culprit. Did you add salsa, onions, garlic anything like that? The way to figure it out is to try the ingredients, one by one to see which one it is.

I personally had about 20 things I developed sensitivites to after going gluten free, but they all resolved within 6 months, except for broccoli. I've had bad reactions to it twice and have decided I am not so in love with broccoli that i ever want to try it again :lol:

As for the pain, I don't know. The usual advice would be simple, whole foods, lots of water and probiotics. HTH

Janie

Black Sheep Apprentice

they all resolved within 6 months, except for broccoli. I've had bad reactions to it twice and have decided I am not so in love with broccoli that i ever want to try it again :lol:

That's how I feel about avocados! and yes, it was the same chips, and they are g.f.! And since going g.f. I've used them to make nachos (w/out avocado) and I was fine. Plus I've eaten a few of them plain, and I was fine. I thought about all the stuff I put in the guac, too, and it's all stuff I eat all the time and have no problem with--fresh-squeezed lime juice, fresh cilantro, onions, garlic, ancho chile powder, a touch of cumin, Med. sea salt and pepper. All of the ingredients, I eat much more often in other stuff than the actual avocado. I had just made it the day before and then put it in the fridge, so it wasn't spoiled.

So I don't know....I just wondered if avocados is a common allergen? I had also wondered, but I think I forgot to ask in my original post, if it is common for people who go off gluten to then develop food sensitivities/allergies after the fact, to foods that never bothered them before. But just a little while ago, I was reading in another forum/post where someone mentioned that exact thing, so I guess this has happened to at least one other person!

Wolicki Enthusiast

Probably the avocados then! Yes, very common for other foods to be problems AFTER. That's how it was for me. I don't think they are a common allergen, but neither is broccoli :blink:

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

Try each of the items you put in with the avocado separately a few day apart to see if they bother you.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I know someone who is sensitive to salicylates so I have checked that out as a possibility for continuing issues. I happen to remember that avocados were on the list of fruits that are very high in salicylates. There are sites devoted to salicylate sensitivity that you could check out. Fortunately, I don't have that particular sensitivity because I love those slimy nasty things!

Black Sheep Apprentice

Thanks everyone!

I saw my doc last week, as it had been exactly 1 mo. since I went g.f., and she wants to test me for food allergies and leaky gut. Unfortunately, I'm uninsured so this will have to wait a few weeks, but.....It's like on the one hand, I'm kind of anxious to have it done, because I want to know it there's anything out there other than gluten (and avocados!) that I need to avoid, as I'm really sick and tired of being sick and tired. :( And of course I want to know about the possible leaky gut thing.

On the other hand, I almost don't want to know! :lol: I mean, what if it turns out that I'm allergic to common, everyday "staple" foods that I love? That would really suck. I'm such a baby! :huh:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

alice17 Newbie

It could definitely be the avocados. I have the same problem. I never ate them growing up. Then, a few years ago, I started eating guacamole. It took a bunch of times to realize that the stomach pain I was having was caused by them. Actually, it was when I had a panini with avocado slices on it that made me realize what it was. I don't have diarrhea or anything. All it is is a severe pain that comes on slowly, gets so bad so that I can barely keep still and am doubled over or in the fetal position and then it slowly goes away. Happens every time. I avoid them, but every once in a while they'll be unexpectedly in something and then I'm in pain.

I wouldn't call it an allergy just because I don't have any breathing problems, but I definitely have an intolerance. I'd avoid them if I were you. I wouldn't wish the pain on anyone. Also, many people who have this problem find that other foods, such as bananas and mangoes, cause the same problem. Some also find that they are allergic to latex, too. It's very strange, but there are quite a few message boards and websites where people have talked about this problem.

Good luck!

Black Sheep Apprentice

Good to know I'm not the only one! On Wed. I ate a very healthy, g.f. meal at a restaurant, and the side dish was a lovely mix of fresh organic fruit.

Oh boy. Got the same reaction as with the avocado, only this time I got diarrhea as well. :blink: I don't think it was the grapes or pineapple, as I've eaten both since going g.f. (and all my life), so I'm thinking perhaps either/or the strawberry or kiwi, since, although I've eaten these for many years, I haven't eaten any since going g.f. And before going g.f., nothing I ate ever did this to me.

Wolicki Enthusiast

What was the rest of the meal?

Black Sheep Apprentice

Tuna--which I eat all the time. :blink:

Wolicki Enthusiast

so plain Tuna and fruit? That is all? And how about before that? The reason I am asking is because I can almost guarantee you've got some secondary intolerances going on. Sometimes symptoms don't show up for a day or two after you eat. Common culprits for Celiacs: dairy, soy, nightshade veggies, nuts, eggs, corn, and grains of all kinds. I think my list went upwards of 20. Thankfully, they all went away. Except for broccoli. And I am not so sad about that ;)

Are you keeping a food journal?

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

Interesting info on allergy info.

Open Original Shared Link

Black Sheep Apprentice

Are you keeping a food journal?

Oh, thanks for the reminder! Boy, my brain is gone....no, I haven't been keeping a food journal, but I've been meaning to! :lol: I'd read some good things here re. Sparks people, so I signed up there, only to find that it's way more than I was looking for. Someone here recommended Livestrong for a food journal, so I went there, bookmarked it for when I had more time, and forgot to go back!

So of course I don't remember what I ate before the tuna and fruit lunch. But the only time I've had that sort of stomach pain and other stuff, was 15-30 min. or so after eating the guac, and then the fruit platter. But you're right, a food journal would sure help!

• 2 weeks later...
Skylark Collaborator

There are clusters of food allergies, where if you react to one food others can cause trouble. I have ragweed allergies, and the classic mild sensitivity to melons as a cross-reaction. A little googling and I found a cross-reaction list at the Arkansas Allergy Center with "latex, avocado, potato, banana, tomato, chestnut, kiwi fruit, herbs, carrot". You might have reacted to the kiwi sauce. Probably best to go to an allergist rather than subjecting yourself to awful stomach aches trying to figure out if you have cross-reactions to avocados.

Black Sheep Apprentice

Yeah, that's for sure, although I did get herbal stuff from my doc that makes the pain go away, since then. It's got aloe, slippery elm, and a bunch of other stuff I can't remember.

I was at a church potluck on Sun. afternoon and, although I brought a couple of different foods I could eat, decided when I saw a some fruit trays to do a little test. I had my tummy pills with me, so I guess I was feeling brave! :lol: I ate two or three strawberries--no other fruit--and see if it hurt. No pain. Then around 4 a.m., about 13 hours later, the old familiar pain and bloating began. I never how bad it might have gotten, as I got up and took a couple of my pills, which put the kibosh on the pain, if not the bloating.

But my doc wants me to be tested for food allergies and LGS.....I just have to wait a bit, as I don't have insurance.

• 4 weeks later...
ellie-lynn Newbie

Yeah, that's for sure, although I did get herbal stuff from my doc that makes the pain go away, since then. It's got aloe, slippery elm, and a bunch of other stuff I can't remember.

I was at a church potluck on Sun. afternoon and, although I brought a couple of different foods I could eat, decided when I saw a some fruit trays to do a little test. I had my tummy pills with me, so I guess I was feeling brave! :lol: I ate two or three strawberries--no other fruit--and see if it hurt. No pain. Then around 4 a.m., about 13 hours later, the old familiar pain and bloating began. I never how bad it might have gotten, as I got up and took a couple of my pills, which put the kibosh on the pain, if not the bloating.

But my doc wants me to be tested for food allergies and LGS.....I just have to wait a bit, as I don't have insurance.

I'm curious -- how do they test for leaky gut? I just went to an allergist a couple of weeks ago, and the topic of leaky gut came up, but she never said anything about being able to test for it. But I'd definitely be interested in testing if it's possible.

Lisa79 Enthusiast

Kiwi's and grapes are quite common with intolerances, i have been advised to stay away from both.

Although you have probably been told, it takes so long to heal, are you taking l-glutamine is good to help heal you gut lining.

I have been gluten-free for 2 years, I feel so much better now although I still have many intolerances, although they are improving. I ate some potato chips this weekend and for the first time didnt bloat or get an uncomfortable stomach.

Definately agree with keeping the food diary, tomatoes are another huge problem food for me.

Good luck

Lisa

Lisa79 Enthusiast

I'm curious -- how do they test for leaky gut? I just went to an allergist a couple of weeks ago, and the topic of leaky gut came up, but she never said anything about being able to test for it. But I'd definitely be interested in testing if it's possible.

Me too ? how do they test ?

jackay Enthusiast

I absolutely love those avacadoes and eat them daily. Hope I never develop an intolerance for them. It would be a sad day.

ellie-lynn Newbie

Me too ? how do they test ?

After posting, it occurred to me that I could just google it. Here's one summary (there were others similar to this):

"This is the most common form of testing for leaky gut. The person is given a solution containing mannitol and lactulose and collects their urine for six hours to be tested. Lactulose (a disacharride) and Mannitol (a monosaccharide) are two water soluble, non- metabolised sugar molecules. Mannitol is easily absorbed, penetrating cells, whilst Lactulose has larger molecules and is only partially absorbed. If the levels of mannitol and lactulose in the collected urine sample are high it is indicative of Leaky Gut Syndrome. Low levels of both molecules indicate malabsorption of nutrients. High levels of lactulose and low levels of Mannitol indicate that the person has healthy digestion."

Looking for answers Contributor

I'd probably have a harder time giving up avocados than gluten, dairy and the nuts I've had to give up. I never had a problem with nuts until I started eating Almonds on a daily basis during a stressful time in my life. Now I get the same reactions to them as you describe with avocados. Sorry, but it sounds like you have other intolerances as well.

Looking for answers Contributor

Although you have probably been told, it takes so long to heal, are you taking l-glutamine is good to help heal you gut lining.

EXCELLENT suggestion. I take it each day and recommend it to everyone on here. I blend mine in with my smoothie in the morning.

• 2 years later...
airen123 Newbie

Thank you so much!  This same thing happened to me twice in the last few weeks when eating avocados.  My stomach, too blows up.  It's scary how much it expanded.  Googling this brought up this thread and I just wanted to post that it must be more common than thought. No more cados for me!

Well now if this isn't strange. For me, that is, since I've never been "allergic" to any food that I know of. All of my life I hated avocados--thought they were slimy, nasty things. It's just been within the last year that started making my own guac, and found I liked it. So every now and then I'll whip some up to have on hand as a healthy snacking alternative, along with baked corn chips. No problem.

Until a couple of weeks ago. I've been g.f. for 1 month today. About two weeks ago I made my usual guac and honestly, I do this more for a healthy snack than for taste, because although I like my home made guac, it's not something that I load up on a chip. I'll eat maybe a tablespoon at any given time. That's about all I ate then, but I noticed about 45 minutes later my stomach begin to hurt a little, but I ignored it. Then it hurt more and I noticed it was beginning to bloat. My actual stomach, not abdomen. Then it got to the point where the pain was so severe I was doubled-over, and it hurt really bad all that night. It was a couple of days before the pain went away completely. At the time I blamed it on my HCL pills, thinking I had taken too many during dinner (I have hypochoridia, so I have to take HCL w/meals. However, I take only 1 or 2 of the lowest-dose ones, which always seems just right.) But I thought it odd that if that's what it was, it took such a long time to start hurting. Which it wouldn't, looking back--the rare times I've taken too much, I knew it right away. I briefly wondered if it could be the avocado, but dismissed it, since I'd eaten it a lot before, with no ill effects.

Until about an hour ago. I made some guac last night, and just a bit ago ate about 2 tsp. of it with baked tortilla chips. Same reaction. The chips alone have never done this, so it's got to be the avocado. Boy am I done with them! tongue.gif

Does anyone else have a reaction like this to avocados? And if so, what can you do for the pain?

GottaSki Mentor

I too lost avocado - a very sad day - when my stomach bloated to 9month preg looking during an elimination diet - - took me over a year to find out why. Histamine Intolerance. The enzmes needed to regulate histamine in our bodies is manufactured in the mucosal lining of the small intestine. I remain hopeful that I will get histamine containing and histamine inducing foods back once my digestive system heals.

Archived