This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Did gluten-free Diet Get Rid Of Restless Leg Syndrome For Anyone?

farmwife67

farmwife67 Explorer

Just wondering if anyone has been cured of Restless Leg Syndrome after going gluten-free? I think mine may be gone??? (I hate to say that) I'm a month gluten-free, I'm sure hoping that is the case.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gary'sgirl Explorer

Yes. That is one of the few symptoms that has gone away for me since I started the gluten free diet. I hope that you really are done with Restless Leg Syndrome. It is quite frustrating to put up with.

tarnalberry Community Regular

If it's being caused by an iron deficiency that was itself caused by malabsorption due to celiac - sure, it could totally do that.

I developed RLS well after going gluten (and dairy) free.

Wolicki Enthusiast

Yes, thank God after about 4 months gluten free :P

Pac Apprentice

yes, and it went away quite soon, probably like a week after going gluten-free.

farmwife67 Explorer

This is good news, I keep thinking this is too good to be true. I'm hoping it doesn't come back. It is neurological so it would make sense that it could improve. I am also taking B12 in hopes that will help too.

nyctexangal Rookie

Mine is gone as long as I stay on all my vitamins, the B-12 helps the most. 7 weeks gluten free...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Korwyn Explorer

Just wondering if anyone has been cured of Restless Leg Syndrome after going gluten-free? I think mine may be gone??? (I hate to say that) I'm a month gluten-free, I'm sure hoping that is the case.

My RLS improved, but didn't go completely away until I cut out all refined grains, starches, and sugars.

• 1 month later...
Coolclimates Collaborator

i've been on the gluten-free diet for 3 weeks now and my restless legs haven't gotten much better, hard to tell if there's much improvement at all. I have increased my Nuerontin to 600 mg per night and am taking 1.5 pills of Mirapex and 1 Clonazapan each night, so that's been helping. I'm hoping that this diet will help with the restless legs as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I feel like my restless legs have improved a bit, but can't figure out if it's that I'm taking sleeping pills or what. I also notice that RL is a very cyclical thing for me. The worst few nights that I have RL are right before my period.

Anyone else experience this?

conniebky Collaborator

we call it "jimmy legs" and I had that about one week out of every month.

The week I stopped gluten I had it TERRIBLY! for about three nights but then it quit altogether.

there seem to be less nights I have RL syndrome, although I notice if I do a a lot of spinning (I spin yarn, esp. at night) I'm more apt to get the RL. Mine don't bother me until early in the morning. I'm no a pretty high dose of Mirapex and Gabiprintin (Neurontin) and also take 1 Clonazapam per evening. Sorry about the bad spelling.

TrillumHunter Enthusiast

Nope, and my serum is well above the recommended level to treat it. When I had a sleep study, I moved my legs 30 times an hour on average. The only thing that quiets them is if I spend the day up and down stairs or a ladder. I would like it to stop, but I have balance issues already, so no neurotin for me.

• 7 months later...
MsCurious Enthusiast

If it's being caused by an iron deficiency that was itself caused by malabsorption due to celiac - sure, it could totally do that.

I developed RLS well after going gluten (and dairy) free.

Cypressmyst Explorer

Yes. My Restless Legs stopped sometime in the first month, my husbands stopped at about the three month mark so it is different for everyone.

I am continually amazed by how much better life is off of this poison. :D

Cheers!

• 1 month later...
Lucydesi Rookie

I have been diagnosed with RLS. Unfortunately it has not gone away. Maybe improved a little. Is there a connection between Celiac and RLS. Never thought of it before.

• 2 weeks later...
GlutenFreeJess Newbie

Wow, I never really thought about it - but YES! My RLS virtually disappeared after going gluten free.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Selhi

Please get your Vitamin D, Calcium, ALP levels as Celiac patients are known to be deficient in Vit D and have Osteoporosis. Get these investigations or touch base with your family physician.

They can also cause restless Legs and cramps, I have suffered from these and now on regular Vit D supplements and Calcium.

Loey Rising Star

Not for me. I take a medication called Ropinerole at night and a lower dose in the morning.

Loey

• 7 years later...
Colby - Sydney Newbie
On 4/9/2010 at 11:17 AM, farmwife67 said:

Hi Farmwife, 

pretty sure mine is caused by gluten. I went to an expensive restaurant in Sydney recently where I live and all I had was one lobster and one chicken dish. No carbs, sugar or alcohol. My legs hurt for the first time in months. The lobster sauce was so tasty I drank it. My friend said it probably had gluten. All I had eaten that day was an omelette so i could narrow it down. I get it when I eat pizza from the bread I think. very irritating. I use to get it so bad for 3 months I was going to kill myself. Hope you find success. I never seem to get it from coffee but I do from alcohol and sugar I think. 

• 4 weeks later...
Goofer Rookie

Mine has not improved at all, but not got worse which is good.

• 1 year later...
aceplayer Newbie

Restless leg and cramps went away for me when I went gluten free. Don't recall how long it took buy neither ever came back. My leg cramps were every night waking me from a dead sleep sometimes twice a night. It's been 4 years for me.