This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Vitamins/supplements Should I Get?

Joe0123

Joe0123 Contributor

So what vitamins or supplements do I need to get while being gluten free? I know magnesium cuz of constipation, but what else should I get?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kayo Explorer

Great question. Looking forward to what people have to suggest as I'm new to the vitamin portion of dealing with this lifestyle as well.

I'm currently on 50k units of vitamin D once a week (Rx from GI doc, my D level was super low)

In addition I take a multivitamin and a calcium/vitamin D daily

I take a digestive enzyme, grapefruit seed extract pill and probiotic with dinner

masterjen Explorer

I would suggest you get blood tests done to determine if you are low in any vitamins or minerals (I'm not sure if they can test for all of the main ones or not, but they can test several). I know that some vitamins can cause harm if taken in excess, so you don't want to take what you don't need. If you suffer from weakness, like I have, ask that your potassium levels be checked in addition to the others.

detritus Apprentice

So what vitamins or supplements do I need to get while being gluten free? I know magnesium cuz of constipation, but what else should I get?

I was concerned about the anemia, so instead of coffee every day I drink hot almond milk with a tablespoon of organic blackstrap molasses. It has lots of good vitamins in it, and I actually get a little "happy" high about 20 minutes after drinking it :)

I also take calcium with magnesium, digestive enzymes with every meal, probiotics, fish oil, and a multi-vitamin. All of these gluten-free, of course. Be careful to check on-line if the vitamins, etc. are gluten free.

I'm also adding brewers yeast to my hot cereal.

Mtndog Collaborator

From TEXEdie:

The only accurate way to know what vitamins and supplements you need are to have your doctor run a complete blood assay for your body's current levels of vitamins and minerals. Most doctors do not do this (?) unless asked! A Nutritionist should be involved since recommended levels differ for celiacs compared with the standard lab ranges of low/normal/high. Remember that a malfunctioning small intestine is a nutritional disease, but too often is not treated beyond the gluten-free diet recommendation.

TEXEdie- you accidentally reported this. You want to hit "Add Reply," not "Report this post" unless it violates the rules of the board. Thanks!

DonaldandAlanda Evans Apprentice

I started taking everything I could get my hands on, thinking it couldn't hurt. I then started getting very bad paresthesia (numbness and tingling) and I thought it was due to the Celiac. I stopped taking most of my supplements for 2 days and the tingling went away. I had a vitamin screening by my doctor, but only on select vitamins......I decided to take the rest LOL. Now all I take is sub-lingual b12, sub-lingual b complex, fish oil, aloe vera juice and D.

bridgetm Enthusiast

I started a women's one-a-day multi-vitamin last week. It has a little of everything in it. I was planning to stick with this until I go back to my doctor (appointment in 4 weeks), but I really don't feel good when I take them (I always take the tablet before bed with a rice cake or two and lots of water; wake up almost nauseous and I can't even think about breakfast for an hour). I might try something that's not so dense.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 5 years later...
Momma2PirateNPrincess Rookie

I know this post is super old but I'm looking for a good whole food gluten-free multivitamin. Any suggestions???

Archived