This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Licorice At Trader Joes

AlysounRI

AlysounRI Contributor

I was picking up some almond butter at Trade Joes today and then I was looking around at all of the other stuff and I hit upon the licorice.

I am not a crazy-for-sweets person but the one thing that I miss, deeply, is black licorice. I always loved licorice and it shocked me to know that it was made with wheat!!

So I looked at their licorice and the red and black both had wheat listed in their ingredients.

Then I looked at the scottie dog ones.

I didn't see wheat. I hugged the box to myself and grinned like an idiot.

Just to make sure I asked at the desk. They gave me a printed list of their gluten-free items and it was on there!!

I was soooooooooooo happy and I happily bought it.

The ingredients are:

Corn syrup, sugar, modified corn and potato starch, coconut oil, carnauba wax, anise oil, caramel color, licorice root extract. Made on equipment shared with soy.

It's a happy day today :)

~Allison

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

luvs2eat Collaborator

Good to know! I just read yesterday that black licorice is a natural remedy for diahrrhea!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Is this a Trader's Joes product or is a brand that could be found elsewhere? I love black licorice and haven't been able to find any that is safe other than the black Jelly Belly Jelly Beans.

AlysounRI Contributor

Is this a Trader's Joes product or is a brand that could be found elsewhere? I love black licorice and haven't been able to find any that is safe other than the black Jelly Belly Jelly Beans.

Raven:

It's a Trader Joes brand only it seems.

It is marked that way.

If you go up the the service counter too, you will find a handout that you can take away with you with all the gluten-free things that Trader Joes carries. They were very, very helpful at my local one.

If you have a TJ local to you, check it out.

It's not expensive at all and there is a fair amount in the box.

It's soooo tasty too!!

Luvs2eat:

Licorice has long had stomach soothing properties.

But I do think that you have to use the root to have it be most effective.

You can get licorice root tea.

Stash tea and yogi tea make amazing licorice teas.

I drink those when my stomach is not being cooperative.

Lovely, lovely stuff!!

~Allison

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Raven:

It's a Trader Joes brand only it seems.

It is marked that way.

~Allison

Awwwwwwwwwwwww I'll have to see if I can find a Trader Joes on my trip to Boston in the fall. I haven't been back to Newport in ages so a detour through RI may be in order so I can bring home a case.

AlysounRI Contributor

See next post, can't delete!!

~A.

AlysounRI Contributor

Raven:

If I look up licorice scottie dogs on Amazon, I find this:

Gimbals-Fine-Candies-Licorice-10-Pound/dp/B000Z3V3LM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=grocery&qid=1271085888&sr=1-1

The modified food starch should be corn only.

And everything else is okay.

So that makes me wonder if you see scottie dog black licorice if it isn't all okay?

Something about scotties apparently :)

If you see it check it out. TJ may buy in bulk from a supplier and then repackage it??

~Allison

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Raven:

If I look up licorice scottie dogs on Amazon, I find this:

Gimbals-Fine-Candies-Licorice-10-Pound/dp/B000Z3V3LM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=grocery&qid=1271085888&sr=1-1

The modified food starch should be corn only.

And everything else is okay.

So that makes me wonder if you see scottie dog black licorice if it isn't all okay?

Something about scotties apparently :)

If you see it check it out. TJ may buy in bulk from a supplier and then repackage it??

~Allison

Thank you. I get the Gimbals Jelly beans at Wally world whenever I go there. Perhaps I can contact them and see if anyplace in my area carries the licorice. I really appretiate your looking them up and finding the company.

tarnalberry Community Regular

Whole Foods (in Bellevue, WA anyway) carried a gluten free licorice. (It happens to be this one: fancy schmancy gluten-free licorice :P) (looks like that site has a number of gluten-free licorice candies.)

AlysounRI Contributor

Thank you. I get the Gimbals Jelly beans at Wally world whenever I go there. Perhaps I can contact them and see if anyplace in my area carries the licorice. I really appretiate your looking them up and finding the company.

You are welcome, Raven :)

I also like the fact that the scottie dog licorice pieces are affordable!!

If you can't find them, send me an email.

I'll send you a box.

For a fellow black licorice nut :)

~Allison

• 7 years later...
Yubra Newbie

Gimbals.com sell all gluten free candies.    They have both red and black licorice scotties.    I was so happy to find this place to buy licorice.  

Archived