This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dying

antmimi

antmimi Rookie

Went to the ER today after shooting myself with an epi-pen. Lovely experience.

Tried a millet pancake or two and noticed mouth and throat swelled. Told my sister, who had worked so hard to prepare me something that I"could eat to feel better." that I couldn't eat any more of it. She grabbed a claritin (allergic to benadryl) and when I started choking we diecided it was time to go to HOSPITAL.

Hives came all over 90% of my body (even in my hair). LOVELY...

I am still hurting on the insides. I want pain to stop. I want to die.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Emme999 Enthusiast

Oh :( I am so sorry you are hurting. :(

Please don't give up on this life! We need you for when we launch the people with food allergies attack! ;)

Please hang on - I truly hope you feel better soon.

*hug*

- Michelle :wub:

Guest nini

{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}} I hope you feel better soon. You may need to triple check EVERY ingredient that went into the pancakes including syrup or whatever... It sucks to be so allergic that you risk dying every time you eat. I feel for you, I truly do. Please don't give up, we need you around here! :D

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I'm so sorry you have not been feeling well. I hope you feel better soon. Hang in there it will get better and there is light at the end of this tunnel. Just know we are all here for support. Feel free to contact me anytime if you just need to talk.

I will keep you in my prayers

cdford Contributor

Oh, I can relate. My epipen stays handy. So far, I have been able to get a Vistaril down quickly enough to avoid having to use it. I feel for you and hope you get to feeling better quickly. Your poor sister may never try to feed you again!

antmimi Rookie

My sister feels like she tried to kill me... lol. Sore throat today and light rash. Taking claritin.

The only other ingredients in it were eggs, almond milk (I had just drunk some and no issues), and maple syrup (had that a week ago with no issues).

I had an extra epi-pen at my school. Am keeping it close and the phone is close too.

I don't want to do the scratch test again. They take a razor to your back and 300 scratches till they bleed. Then 20 shots on each arm to find out which of those really reacted (because the reaction was so strong that it bled over into the other scratches). They do those rapid fire.

I have heard that there is a pin prick test. I have heard it is less painful. My allergist said that he didn't do the pin prick test.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast
I have heard that there is a pin prick test. I have heard it is less painful. My allergist said that he didn't do the pin prick test.

I hated the pin prick test. I had over 140 needles poked in my arms. That was horrible and it turns out none of the things I was really allergic to. After this it set me back for about 2-3 weeks because of everything they had injected into my body(even at the small amount that they did)

York allergy testing may be something to look at . They have like 113 foods they test for.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

antmimi Rookie

But they say that York testing is even less accurate than the pin prick and the blood testing.

Emme999 Enthusiast

Definitely do the ELISA blood test (I imagine that's what York offers). I did the scratch tests and showed no reaction to any foods at all! The allergy doctor who offered it just treated me like I was neurotic.

The ELISA test showed allergies to eggs, all dairy (even goats milk! I never would have known) (Goats milk is gross :P) (eww)

Anyway - it showed allergies to sesame seeds, blueberry, papaya and the others I already mentioned. Definitely worth the money - and much better than conventional testing. According to Dr. Michael Murray (Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine): "The skin prick test or skin-scratch test commonly employed by many allergists only test for IgE mediated allergies. Since only about 10-15 percent of all food allergies are mediated by IgE, this test is of little value in diagnosing most food allergies."

The ELISA test checks both IgG (delayed) and IgE (immediate) reactions.

:)

- Michelle :wub:

antmimi Rookie

How much does that test cost?

I am having problems with IGE allergies right now anyway. But you may be right. I might try both.

jknnej Collaborator

How good are the Immuno Labs? That's why I just did-I get my results on Thursday.

Emme999 Enthusiast

I did my test through US BioTek - the cost was $165 for 96 foods. I did the "vegetarian" panel. Now I'm wishing I had done the full panel - because my naturopathic doctor suggested that since my dairy allergies are so high (literally off the charts) I may have allergies with beef :unsure:

Of course, I've never known anyone who's allergic to beef.. so she may just be a tad psycho ;) Who knows.

- Michelle

p.s. Other costs involved included the blood draw, shipping, etc. - that my doctor did for $24.

Guest nini

is there a chance you are allergic to eggs? That is a fairly common allergen.

flagbabyds Collaborator

I feel your pain. I am also wheat allergic as well as celiac, one time I went to P.F. CHangs with my celiac friends and the dinner was fine but the Takeout was used with spoons that had soy sauce on them and I had the takout the next night, and ended up first in urgent care sunday morning then after the second epipen didn't do anything, they didn't feel comfortable and sent me over in the ambulance, and I spen the day in the hallway of the ER because they didn't have enough rooms. Fun Fun Fun

antmimi Rookie

My God is watchin out for me. I know it. I have people who pray for me throughout the day.

God is providing his healin right now. I just need to wait on him.

He is the only hope I have.

princessfuzzball Rookie
is there a chance you are allergic to eggs? That is a fairly common allergen.

I had two eggs with my regular breakfast this morning and spent five hours sleeping. I woke up to feel awful, and to being incredibly dizzy, my tupical allergic reaction....

antmimi Rookie

Someone just e-mailed me and asked if I had Stevens Johnson's Syndrome. That is the scariest syndrome I have ever seen.

I knew medicines could mess up your body and know that mine has been messed up by them currently, BUT....

That syndrome is where your outsides and insides are literally burned by the chemical reactions taking place in your body.

It shows up with lesions on your body (all over) and burning like you are on fire outside and inside.

I will be the first to say I feel like I am burning up inside when really inflamed and am worried that it really is burning me, but that is extrememly severe.

Peaches503 Newbie

Antmimi,

Many hugs for you! My thoughts and prayers are with you. I truly hope things get better for you soon! Hang in there, and things will get better!

-Peaches

antmimi Rookie

Thank you for the encouragement. I want to be BETTER, YESTERDAY.

Archived